The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Unhappy fuel system

I thought ol Lefty was good to go, wrong. He made it 30 miles and the filter plugged up solid. Tank was full f rust. I drove it home after "stealing" it (thanks Leon) at 1200 rpm. Long drive. It died 3 times.

I ordered a new tank from Amazon and a sending unit from LMC. Tank fit as well as you'd expect from Dorman. The sender was reading 1/4 when it had an actual 10 gallons. Hmmmm, how much resistance should I add in series to make it read right? None! Just bend the float arm until it matches th original. Now all is right and nephew is happy.

I'll be taking it for a run this weekend. Hauling lumber for a deck and also blast down th interstate empty. Yes, I'll bring my cell phone and extra fuel filter along.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
697498chevy

Re: Unhappy fuel system

Replaced the tank and sending unit in my 69 C 10 in April . Took 6 gallons before the needle moved off empty . I bought everything from LMC . Had to enlarge the tank mounting holes to get the filler neck to be centered in the cab hole . My old sending unit float had a hole in it and the filter sock was crumbling . I'm pretty happy to have a working gas gauge , even if it it's not exactly right . I do kinda worry when it's on empty even tho I know it has 5 or 6 gallons left . If I had it to do over again I'd put 2 gallons in and bend the float arm like you did .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
mike16

My 72 C10 with EEC has tank rust problems too.

I just bought a tank off of rock auto. nice Canadian made but with a few sharp edges. Spectra premium.

I would have bought the Classic Parts tank too but I hear good things about the Spectra tank and did not know where the Classic industry tank came from. The Spectra tank was a sure thing and the difference in price was not worth the uncertainty.

Bought a sender from Classic parts and it came with an o ring seal

also from classic parts I got the a sender retaining lock ring

extra lock ring came with the canadian tank too

have not got around to installing them yet but total cost so far is about 300.00

will be rebuilding the carb again too for about 30 bucks

gues I will blow out the lines with compressed air

fuel pump is new already as are the rubber lines

I hope this puts an end to my fuel problems because it has made my truck very unreliable and me very unhappy

Last edited by mike16; 08-16-2017 at 06:07 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I thought ol Lefty was good to go, wrong. He made it 30 miles and the filter plugged up solid. Tank was full f rust. I drove it home after "stealing" it (thanks Leon) at 1200 rpm. Long drive. It died 3 times.

I ordered a new tank from Amazon and a sending unit from LMC. Tank fit as well as you'd expect from Dorman. The sender was reading 1/4 when it had an actual 10 gallons. Hmmmm, how much resistance should I add in series to make it read right? None! Just bend the float arm until it matches th original. Now all is right and nephew is happy.

I'll be taking it for a run this weekend. Hauling lumber for a deck and also blast down th interstate empty. Yes, I'll bring my cell phone and extra fuel filter along.

Glad you got it back on the road. They can sure be a pain sometimes....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

The Dorman/Amazon tank was $154ish with free Prime shipping
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
697498chevy

I was out in my 69 C 10 this morn . Gas gauge was a little past empty . Filled it up to the bottom of the filler neck . Held 15.9 gallons . The gauge is not quite on full now . Just a F Y I .
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Had my original tank cleaned out and relined (renewed). New sending unit from Tucker's. Hope it works.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote