The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
67C10Step

Another PSA from the Arky Boys

It's that time of year in the south where fog is pretty common. Water is still warm and cool nights can lead to local fog or even weather patterns can lead to general fog like we had this past weekend.

Turn on your headlights for Pete's sake! It is not about you being able to see, it is if everyone else can see you! If you are in a white, silver, or light gray vehicle it is even more important. Lastly, if you are driving a newer rig with the daytime running lights that is not good enough because most likely your tail lights are not on.

Cannot tell you how many cars and trucks I encountered Sunday morning with no lights on. I was scared to death pulling out onto the main road because you could not see more than about 50-60 yards and knowing I might only see a shadow looming up out of the fog before the bam.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Another PSA from the Arky Boys

But if I turn on my headlights, won't my fuel mileage go down? And I'll have to replace my headlights sooner. I'd rather just cause an accident.

<Sarcasm off>

Now that it's getting light later, this is one of my pet peeves. Why don't people turn on their headlights?
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

We have so many laws to protect us not only from ourselves but also from those who just can't seem to understand common sense. I'm sure the time is coming when all our lights are on, all the time, because some people can't figure out how or when to do it themselves. My general philosophy is the fewer laws, the better -- but I am surprised that we don't already have a lights-on law. Not sure but I think Canada has had a similar law for years, possibly other countries too.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
We have so many laws to protect us not only from ourselves but also from those who just can't seem to understand common sense. I'm sure the time is coming when all our lights are on, all the time, because some people can't figure out how or when to do it themselves. My general philosophy is the fewer laws, the better -- but I am surprised that we don't already have a lights-on law. Not sure but I think Canada has had a similar law for years, possibly other countries too.
I thought DRL's were on newer vehicles then I looked this up....some don't, some do.

https://www.bnd.com/living/liv-colum...e17736659.html
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I thought DRL's were on newer vehicles then I looked this up....some don't, some do.

https://www.bnd.com/living/liv-colum...e17736659.html
The DRL's are good but the vehicles tail lights are not on. The DRL helps you to see folks coming so you don't pull out on them but you can run up on someone in a fog because of the no tail light thing.

I'm not advocating more laws as we already have a law in Arkansas that your lights are supposed to be on when it's raining. When my kids were younger we used to have contests to see who would guess the number of people who didn't have their lights on in the rain.

I was really wondering Sunday morning who's fault it would be if I was pulling into traffic and got hit because I could not see someone coming in the fog. Technically I'd say the other driver but man you just never know.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Yes, but DRLs have an inherent problem too. They are typically not as bright as headlights, and as noted by the OP, taillights (& sidemarkers) are often not illuminated with the DRLs.
But the dash lights are often on, so the driver may think his headlights are on.

I am not advocating for headlights on all the time. Just a bit surprised that such a law doesn't yet exist here in the USA.

EDIT: 67C10, you type faster than I do! We do think alike. Glad you mentioned lights on in rain.... it's the same here. And people still forget.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I have a little silver jelly bean car and drive with the headlights on (meaning the tail and marker lights are on, too), because people just don't see it. Though I will say that some just aren't looking, either.

As for headlights on in the rain, that's required in California, as well. If the wipers are in use, headlights are also supposed to be turned on. When that law was enacted ('13?) I laughed, because I use Rain-X and almost never use the wipers. Drove my car pool buddy crazy! Over about 30 MPH Rain-X is better than wiper blades, anyway.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
1976gmc20

I've almost pulled out in front of a couple of silver vehicles. It's like camoflage!

Only thing saved me is my habit looking a second time as I pull out.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

This is a good PSA for everywhere. I have always run my lights in poor visibility. No need to legislate common sense on me. I have always run my parking lights once daylight begins to dim, then headlights. I helps make me think of what I'm doing rather than get in and go till I stop. I can see but it makes me 10x more visible. But there sure are a lot of people with their heads in the sand. And they are the same ones who choose to buy non-descript blah colors. My theory is they are people who just plain don't like to think much. Salesman: I've shown you all the features, now which color would you prefer? Customer: I have no preference. I'll take the greyish silver one. Because there are so many people like this I think auto makers paint half their cars this color. There are so many! And they are the ones who don't "think" to burn their lights in poor visibility. I see it time and again. Hello people. You are driving a car that is the same color as the sky, the mist, and the road when it rains or is foggy. Take that into account! Even if you have little concern for others, put a little effort into protecting yourself and by doing so you will be protecting us! I can't believe all the people I see, mostly in well lit urban areas or coming from a lit parking lot, driving at night with no lights on. Didn't you notice you have no dash lights? Didn't you notice it is dark out before you got in the car and doesn't it come natural to think "turn on the headlights" at this point? As far as DRLs go, why on earth do only the headlamps come on? Didn't anyone have the where with all to realize there will be an abundance of people who, once it becomes dark outside, will see their path lighted and not think to now turn on the lights so they have tail lights?. Doesn't having the tail lights on during the daytime help at least a little bit toward making the vehicle a bit more noticeable, therefore increasing rear end safety?

I've had an idea since before the third brake light thing came along. There should be two stages to brake lights. One for braking lightly (slowing) and one for braking hard (stopping). Either two intensities or maybe a strobe for braking hard. The third brake light seems silly to me, in all instances except bumper to bumper traffic where the car behind "might not" be able to see your tail lights. But don't they see that all the cars ahead are stopping? Are they just for preventing traffic back-up at rush hour. I mean, how much of a matter of safety is it to avoid 2 mph accidents? Adding another light is just getting around the fact that people need to be looking at the other two that are on every vehicle on the road! And motorcycles still only have one. So just look ahead you bozo and take notice of brake lights! Better yet, take notice of the actions of the vehicle ahead and while you're at it take notice of the rapidly decreasing space between you and that vehicle ahead. Can you drive??

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-29-2020 at 07:35 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
1976gmc20

At least our 4runner is a dark grey. Not what I would prefer but you can't be too picky when buying used. The 2016 pickup is white which is exactly what I wanted.

The old Jeep is black which is hot in summer but we mostly use it in the winter. You would think folks could see a black jeep on white snow, lights or no lights. I don't usually turn on the lights just driving 1/4 mile over to the barn unless it's really dark.

We used to have a family tradition of green cars/pickups but it's been a long time since then. I sold the medium olive 1971 K/10 in 1990, and my folks sold the green 1971 IH not too long after that. Oh yeah and there was the little green 1965 C/10 that I stupidly sold about that time. I've had three white pickups now (plus the GMC Truck!) and I kind of like that: solid and workmanlike

Our little HHR was dark red. I never liked that but at least it was visible.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #11
67C10Step

1976GMC20 - My 4runner is dark grey as well and I've wondered if I got the model with the cloaking device because I've only had it 10 months but I have almost been side swiped twice by people turning onto the main road. Both times if I had not been paying attention and had room for evasive maneuvers it would have been a crash. Both times it was broad daylight with my DRL's on. Wife said it has happened to her once as well.

I started riding motorcycles at the age of 6 so by the time I hit the street at the age of 14 I was a pretty decent rider. Taking what I learned on a motorcycle and applying it when you are in a four wheeled vehicle makes a huge difference. It amazes me the people who are oblivious when driving and cannot vector other vehicles. Many think just because they can get out in front of you and straight then they had enough room to pull out. I guess they don't see all those folks behind them nose diving standing on their brakes.

When I was teaching my kids to drive I always told them that if they were pulling into traffic, merging, etc. and made another driver slam on their brakes chances are they should not have done what they just did. Also told them to just let aggressive drivers go on, they were not worth the blood pressure and potential for disaster. You will probably catch them at the off ramp or next light so all that extra speed and stress doesn't get you much.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
Old 09-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I'll admit to being one of those devils who had the gall to buy a silver vehicle. But we had our reasons. That said, I turn on my headlights anytime visibility is less than ideal. Same as 67C10, I rode motorcycles for decades which I'm sure affected my desire to be visible on the road.

California has a law that prohibits driving with parking lights only. Probably because as the sun disappears, people were forgetting their headlights were not on.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

There they go legislating (attempting to) common sense again. With every such law, safety device, warning sticker, guard, etc. you have people become less safe by their own devices. They become complacent and expect a safety net below them everywhere they go. When are they putting up the safety fence around Grand Canyon? If they do, let there be one missing section and you will have people rubbing along the rail plunking to their death one after the next when they hit that spot.

We had a Platinum S10 ZR2. I actually chose it for it's color. It was rare having steel wheels and I liked the simplistic almost third world look of it with wheels matching body color devoid of fancy factory alloys (5spd, too). I guess that had the DRLs, but that never prevented me from "thinking" to turn the lights on when it rained or got dark out. Force of habit I gained long before DRLs, plus I knew the tail lights don't light otherwise. I sure did notice more people not noticing us, though. Back when people had more sense I found it really helped to run clearance lamps on the cab. I considered installing some but realized it was no longer working on my other trucks with them. People respect size (or used to back when they thought before acting) and from a distance they would assume I was in a big rig and just stay put. I really noticed a big difference and I'm talking about down in the mindless mass. What I see now are people pulling out in front of me with way too little distance and immediately pulling to the side to stop and let me pass. Really? Weren't you already stopped and waiting for me to pass? Think much? I always say to myself, "Now you're thinking". They remind me of mice too nervous to just stay put to save their lives. Just have to dart out so the cat can nab them. Tisk tisk tisk

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote