The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
turbostar

limited slip option code #

I am looking for info that may be common knowledge on this board. I am looking at a clean Z85 2006 Chevy 1500 at a dealer lot. I asked if it had limited slip and the salesperson looked to see if it had option G80,which it had and he thought that meant limited slip(or posi or traction lock or whatever it is called these days). Anyone know if G80 is for limited slip? Thanks.
turbostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Re: limited slip option code #

Yes - Here is a link
Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
turbostar

Thanks 463,that's what I wanted to confirm.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
hugger6933

The White label in the glove box of your truck has a bunch of numbers and letters strung together in several rows. To anyone just looking in there it looks to be jibberish, but if you know how to read them or at least know what they are for it is a wealth of info on your truck. it is called an RPO label stands for regular production order. and it starts out life as a printed sheet of paper [old car/truck guys know them as build sheets] and they are the first thing in the building of your truck and it goes along with it on the line telling man/computer what to put on it. From frame to brake type and springs to weather or not it has keyless entry all thing about your truck are on that code. The G80 is the posi/limited slip code and it would be right next to the axle ratio something like a GU6 or GT4 GT5 something like that. There is a code book that I had gotten from GM at one time telling what all RPO option were but it has long been lost I am sure it is on the internet, if it is the only thing that is not. Did you know there are other things on the net other than car parts? I had no idea! Man. Hope this helps. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
turbostar

Thanks Jim,big help. There used to be a vin decoder website on the internet that I used. It was free and very good,but they have re-emerged as a pay site. Still looking for a free vin decoder.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
hugger6933

I did a search and came up with a master list at longroof. com or something like that .wifey needs me to fire the grill the burgers won't cook themselves.Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
turbostar

Bad news regarding the G80 code. My 2006 has the g80 code in the glove box and it is not limited slip. Fooled me and the dealer. I went to check the fluid and first off there is no tag on the cover requiring special fluid and so I did the old hot rod trick and jacked up the rear and spun one wheel-the opposite wheel spun in the opposite direction indicating no posi. This is disappointing.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostar View Post
Bad news regarding the G80 code. My 2006 has the g80 code in the glove box and it is not limited slip. Fooled me and the dealer. I went to check the fluid and first off there is no tag on the cover requiring special fluid and so I did the old hot rod trick and jacked up the rear and spun one wheel-the opposite wheel spun in the opposite direction indicating no posi. This is disappointing.
It doesn't require limited slip additive. It's actually a locking rear. It doesn't work like posi did in the past. It has to be spinning pretty fast for it to lock, unless its broken.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
turbostar

Thanks 95,for the education about the new units. I also tried another method for checking a posi(tranny in neutral,jack up one tire only and if it won't spin you got a posi). I now understand that my old techniques don't apply anymore,so is there a way of telling you have a limited slip with these new units? (other than reading the option code).
Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
95 S_Trucker

Take the brakes and rotors off the hub on both sides, Then spin the axle shaft pretty fast You will feel it lock.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote