The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Maximus

Steering Question: What u-Joints to use from GM Column to GM Box (78 Camaro)

Hi guys,
I tried posting this in the suspension forum but I dont think too many guys from the older trucks move around there (i never looked there until i posted there...)
since you guys are more likley to have worked on a 55-59 truck I will post my question here

I did some searching and couldn't come up with the info I'm looking for.
Here is my situation:
I have a 1978 firebird column in my 55 2nd series truck, and the 1978 firebird subframe under my front fenders...
The steering shaft needs to be made up...

my first question is what dimension/shape u-joint do i need to mate the the late 70's GM column (is it 1"-48spline?)

my 2nd question is what u-joint i need to mate to the steering box (after I remove the rag-joint - chart appears to be 3/4"-30Spline?)

and my last question is -
what are people using for the rod to connect the two?
it appears that Speedway Motors have ujoints so you can buy 3/4" round shaft and weld...
but I was hoping to keep the "Crumple" joint in the shaft...
should i just extend my stock 1978 firebird steering shaft on one end and use the stock 'crumple' zone? or is there a longer shaft I could buy to replace the male half of the shaft and slip it inside the stock female half?

Any pictures and sized would me most helpfull!!!

I found this chart from Speedway Motors and wanted to make sure I was on the right track...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
55metalmonkey

Re: Steering Question: What u-Joints to use from GM Column to GM Box (78 Camaro)

All I'm using is a steering shaft from a mid 90's jeep cherokee. $20.00 at the wreckers and fits right in, 2 u-joints and a slip shaft built into it so you don't have to be exact on the length. I did have to alter the input from the steering colunm slightly by fileing 2 flats but that didn't take long. BTW I have 66ish cadilac colunm, tilt/ telescopeing, the shafts shouldn't be too different though.
Both Jeep and GM used Saganaw 800 PS boxes and the splines are the same (should be) I have heard that some people don't even have to alter their colunm output shaft. from a look at your build thread it should fit right in...might be worth looking into.
I'll post pics tomorow if your interested

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 03-15-2011 at 01:57 AM. Reason: more info
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
Maximus

Re: Steering Question: What u-Joints to use from GM Column to GM Box (78 Camaro)

yea I would love to see pictures.
even if i still have to replace one of the u-joints to fit my column it would be a big savings!
thanks for the idea. Ill have to make it down to the junkyard this weekend and track down a jeep.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Thadious

I'm using a chev van column in mine with an s10 steering box, both ends were spline, not the double D on the column like they use now. I found the intermediate shaft in a Jeep Patriot had the same splines, you just need to file out (triangular file and the fittings are billet aluminum) the key spline (it's just one that isn't cut, as a locator) and the two ends slip right in. No rag joints either, both are u-joints ... you might just have to shorten it a little, I did (about 2" either end).

$50 from the wrecking yard up here... so about $5 down there..

Good luck,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
55metalmonkey

Hi Ted, how's things?
The one I used was spline on one end and double D on the other accualy almost like a rounded hexagon... best description I can come up with at this time of the night anyway,
I'll take better pics tomorow of both ends but you can see part of how it goes. box isn't fully mounted and the shaft isn't put all the way in in the pic but it does fit nice and the shaft line is near straight when fully mounted. I have another steering box on the way so I didn't want to bolt it in just to back track later. I'll mock it up better tomorrow for better pics
Attached Images

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 03-15-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Thadious

I think his issue is the same as mine was though... it's going from a splined GM column to a splined box. If memory serves, the Cherokees are a double D column connection....

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
55metalmonkey

Easily modified if the outer dia of the shaft is larger than the double D. Can't remember exactly what my shaft had originaly but it's from a caddy so I don't think GM would have gotten creative with it. in the pic it looks like mine used to be splined as well
pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Maximus

well, from what I found, the XJ's have the same spline shaft on the steering box. 3/4"-30.
As long as this is true, i can weld on a proper u-joint on the steeringI column end.
I ordered a XJ shaft on ebay for $22 shipped, so even if it all fails, its a cheap test. Seems how each u-joint is like $60+ if I am able to use at least the steering box joint and the shaft its a big savings...

Ill let you know how it all turns out, and thanks for the pictures!