The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
old Chevy guy

Question Tilt swap questions and delay wipers

Ive been posting a question about changing the seats in my dads 86 chevy pickup to make it easier for him to get in and out of. I was thinking that a tilt wheel column whould help too. Does anyone know if I have a tilt from a truck with cruise control can I still put it in my noncruise truck.Of course I don't expect that my truck would gain cruise,just wondering if everything else will still work the same.Also what makes the wipers delay? Cruise columns usually have delay wiper switch too. That is to say is the wiper motor diffrent or is it in the way the switch works? If I had both a delay switch and wiper motor is the wireing the same? Finally I read before that an older tilt from a chevy van 72-8?could be used in an older chevy truck 67-72. Does anyone know if a tilt from a newer chevy van (87) will fit in my dads 86 pickup? So many questions. Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks Frank
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Storm Chaser

Re: Tilt swap questions and delay wipers

The easiest way to do this swap is to find a tilt column from the same bodystyle truck. I'm pretty sure the basics all wire the same (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). By basics, I mean the horn, ignition switch, hazard lights and turn signals. You can always pull out the turn signal stalk with the cruise and wipers and put in your current stalk.

As for the delay wipers, I'll let someone else chime in on that one. My truck is at a different location so I can't look at it, and heck, I don't even remember if it has delay wipers or not. lol
Rear disc swap & Hydroboost
Dually conversion with shackle flip-n-switch
4x4 conversion with 52" springs
Maybe some new body panels
Who needs a car when they make crew cab trucks?
Storm Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
87Bob

Re: Tilt swap questions and delay wipers

I'm swapping in a tilt column.You do have to pull the top of it apart to switch out the turn signal lever. I'm adding intermitent wipers and cruise to my 85 in addition to the tilt column.

Last edited by 87Bob; 09-28-2009 at 05:16 AM.
87Bob is offline   Reply With Quote