The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2024, 04:30 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Steering Shaft upgrade XJ or Astro Van?

Im Rebuilding the front end on my C30 Im looking to replace the worn out rag joint and rubber isolater on the top as it worn out

I was looking into buying a XJ steering shaft but i came across this post thats seem that Astro Van shaft are about the same length and couplers too?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...astro-van.html

Anyone know if an Astro shaft will work, they are commen in my part of the world weres the XJ is not, Shipping over seas are expensive so if i can get one local to me it I would save alot

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:32 PM   #2
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: Steering Shaft upgrade XJ or Astro Van?

GMTgmt, I did the XJ shaft conversion on my '86 (it is shown in my build thread on here) I am happy with the result, there is a thread on how to do the conversion on here and I THINK it discusses the astro shafts in there as well.. overall I think the swap is worth it.
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:13 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
Im Rebuilding the front end on my C30 Im looking to replace the worn out rag joint and rubber isolater on the top as it worn out

I was looking into buying a XJ steering shaft but i came across this post thats seem that Astro Van shaft are about the same length and couplers too?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...astro-van.html

Anyone know if an Astro shaft will work, they are commen in my part of the world weres the XJ is not, Shipping over seas are expensive so if i can get one local to me it I would save alot
From what I understand in the g-body/Malibu world the Astro shafts require re-clocking one end to have the necessary alignment (the g-body & C10 stuff is similar).
The re-clocking requires cutting & re-welding of one end which is not required for the XJ swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:12 PM   #4
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
From what I understand in the g-body/Malibu world the Astro shafts require re-clocking one end to have the necessary alignment (the g-body & C10 stuff is similar).
The re-clocking requires cutting & re-welding of one end which is not required for the XJ swap.
Thanks, I got a shaft from a astro on the way, just and sleve it is not a problem so i will se if it can be made to work

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:30 PM   #5
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
Thanks, I got a shaft from a astro on the way, just and sleve it is not a problem so i will se if it can be made to work
If you can, come back and let us know how it goes. It would be interesting to find out if that's an easily workable option.

Last edited by LT7A; 01-10-2024 at 09:37 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:19 AM   #6
Axle

I used a jeep shaft. One tip I would give is make sure you heat the plastic that locks in the slip shaft enough that the shaft freely moves in and out. Theres enough flex between the cab and steering box to cause popping if you leave it as a tight fit to adjust the length (even with liberal lube on it). In the end, I ended up knocking all the plastic out (there isn't much of a second chance). Definately an improvement over the rag joint, and even with no plastic to take up the "slop" in the slip shaft it is still miles ahead of a rag joint.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote