The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
vintovka

Power Step on 54 3100

Now that we getting close to finishing this project the problem of getting in and out of the cab is painfully clear. (emphasis of painfully) Its 27" from the ground to the running board and our legs don't go that high anymore. I was given a pair of kwikee swing type steps but the motors are shot. The options are to rebuild them or spend the big bucks on power running boards. Question is has anyone every added power steps or running boards to a lifted AD? Plenty of space under the original boards and they are hung from the 84 kio chassis with 2x2 angle. Any advice appreciated as always.
Attached Images

Last edited by vintovka; 05-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
vintovka

Re: Power Step on 54 3100

Well i guess its never been done before. I contacted amp and bestop and waiting for response. Was hoping they had an off the shelf model that could be modified to fit. That or get used ones and really mod them to fit
Old 05-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
dsraven

check out some class A motorhomes. they have a step that is electrically operated when the door opens. it may be adaptable or some sort of workable copy could be made up with some innovation
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
dsraven

sorry, I didn't realize kwickee steps are motorhome steps. oh well, I know now.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 AM   #5
dsraven

how about a power step for a jeep, like a rubicon? they are pretty short between the wheels.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
vintovka

Looking at those jeep steps. Many of the newer steps fold up under chassis. The relatively flat underside of the original boards might be a problem. The Kwikee steps i was given are side swing and apparently don't last long. To mount them under boards would drop step to 16" which may be too far. Will come up with something. Then again i could hire someone to follow me around with a step-stool.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
vintovka

Well both AMP and Bestop basically said they arn't interested in helping me and AMP said they wouldn't
honor warranty if i installed a set on my rig-- nice.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
dsraven

well, you can't really blame them. these days everybody sues everybody. if you fell off their step and broke a nail they could be liable.
what about a simple, sliding, ladder style affair that is mounted on small wheels/rollers inside some C channel, slightly off horizontal, and retracts back under the running boards. it could be moved in and out with a cheap linear actuator. the C channel would be mounted to the frame so it would support weight well and the ladder/step would roll freely inside the channel and be allowed to drop downwards at the end of it's travel so it would tuck up nicely when not in use but then fall downwards to be at the right height for a step. some truck commercial bodies use a design like this for a sliding drawer that slides out and down for access to items in areas at eye level or slightly above. the drawer could be on a nitrogen strut to be always loaded to come outwards and fall down against a predetermined stopper height. the actuator could be attached to a cable to allow the drawer to come out and down freely but then allow the actuator to easily move the drawerback to retracted state without binding.

there one for the brain to ponder and suck up any free time you may have. could be done cheap at first until you know it works. mock it up with some wood for really cheap, then copy the design in metal and add the actuator.