The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
copywritten
CopyWritten

Project 80 Sixer

its been a long time since I have had a truck to turn wrenches on. Picked this 86 up last weekend. Not sure how fast or slow this build will go, but figured I would share as I go. I am not a professional, so any and all feedback is welcomed!
Attached Images

copywritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
copywritten
CopyWritten

Re: Project 80 Sixer

Picked up some eye candy today!! I am flying by the seat of my pants, so wish me luck!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
copywritten
CopyWritten

And I have no clue why my photos are acting crazy, does anyone know how I flip them to normal position?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
copywritten
CopyWritten

Received my Mcgaughy suspension yesterday from brown Santa. I am now patiently waiting for CPP to ship my upper and lower control arms and rotors so I can get to work on getting this truck on the ground!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
DannyO

Just thought id help. If your saving from your phone it will turn them. I save mine to my computer then upload from there. Nice project BTW if you have any LS questions let me know. I've done everything you can think of with LS based engines.
Attached Images

DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
copywritten
CopyWritten

thank you for flipping those for me! I did save them to my computer first then uploaded them. On my computer they are correct! I cant get any photos to upload from my phone. My biggest questions on this swap is motor mounts, cross member and fuel system. I have a book that I am reading on this swap!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
copywritten
CopyWritten

got the heads off and took them to machine shop. I also got some goodies in the mail!
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
DannyO

The motor mounts can be purchased already predrilled / bolt on or you can make some. The oil pan will need to be an F-body oil pan with the pickup tube. Make sure to use the new O-ring that comes in the melling H/V oil pump you bought and lube it with assembly oil so it wont pinch the o-ring (this is the #1 killer of ls engines). As for the fuel system go on Ebay get an inline walbro 255 depending on your fuel rails you might need a Corvette filter with a built in regulator. FYI get all pushlock fittings they hold more than enough pressure, don't leak, and are super easy to make lines with. Let me know if you need any more help. BTW the things I told you are almost the cheapest route without "jerry riggin" things.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
copywritten
CopyWritten

Thanks DannyO. This is an LQ9 from an Escalade so not sure what fuel rails i have. I was only really planning to pull the injectors, inspect them, clean them and put them back in the intake
Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
DannyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywritten View Post
Thanks DannyO. This is an LQ9 from an Escalade so not sure what fuel rails i have. I was only really planning to pull the injectors, inspect them, clean them and put them back in the intake
Personally I wouldn't touch the injectors. I've only heard...not seen but heard of 1 injector going bad. Take a picture of the rails when you can and i will tell you how to do the fuel system. What are the performance plans fro the engine. You might need to upgrade injectors.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
copywritten
CopyWritten

I found a good deal on a FAST LSXRT intake, so I will be going with that set up along with a nice cam from Texas speed. Changing out rocker to the Yellow Terra rollers 1.7 ratio and a valve job on the heads. It looks like I can reuse the stock injectors with this intake, I just have to order their fuel rails and throttle body adapter. here is the link to the rails.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/lsxr...k-versionhtml/
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #12
copywritten
CopyWritten

lots of parts came in. I ended up going with CPP tubular control arms and Mcgaughys front lowering kit. This will give me a 4.5" drop in the front. I decided to convert from a leaf truck to trailing arms suspension. I ordered that conversion from CPP as well. I am not real confident in CPP's customer service thus far and they charge restocking fees if you return anything. Kinda ****ty of them to do that. None the less I have all the parts in to update my suspension. Today I ordered my rims. Went with HRBB Perfect 22" for all 4 corners. Huge shout out to Travis over at azproperformance.com for all his assistance with figuring out my wheel set up!
Old 10-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
copywritten
CopyWritten

Here are a few pics
Attached Images