The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
RanchTruck

1970 p-chassis frame vin locations?

I've got a 1971 Grumman Motorhome that's built on top of a Chevy P chassis. I'm in NH where the state doesn't care about or issue titles on any vehicle over 15 years old, but they do want a VIN inspection to go with the bill of sale for a new registration.

The problem is, Grumman didn't rivet the chevy plates to its body. It riveted its own plate, with its own vehicle ID number. I may end up just going with that and seeing if the DMV accepts it, but I would like to find the actual chassis VIN if I can.

I can't find any partial VIN's on the powertrain. The Th400 tag says it's a 1970 chevy truck trans. But there's no vin stamped on the side of the pan rail by the kickdown plug. The engine production numbers on the flat ahead of the passenger head say it's a 1970 truck 350 255hp. But no partial vin stamped next to them or down next to the oil filter.

So from what I've found so far, I'm assuming it's a 1970 chassis shipped from Chevy and Grumman didn't finish the body until 71 so they sold it as a 71.

With scraping the gunk off the frame and checking with a mirror, I haven't turned up any numbers yet, but there's a lot of frame and pretty limited access what with a motorhome body on top of it and all. So I was wondering if anyone knew the standard locations Chevy might have stamped a partial VIN on a forward control frame?

Would Chevy have shipped a numbers-free chassis out to a bodybuilder like Grumman/Olsen?

It belonged to a korean war POW/vietnam vet who owned it from 1974 to when he died in 2010, so it's unlikely it was stolen and the numbers ground off.
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
RanchTruck

Re: 1970 p-chassis frame vin locations?

The number on the mass inspection sticker is 9050ppe320f169144. The 9050p is the start of the Grumman body ID tag, and the pe320f169144 looks like the right sequence for a P32 chassis vin, but an expired inspection tag isn't a valid vin location.
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote