The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
cherokeejohn

A/C BELT part number or measurement

Hello everyone out here in truck land. I was cruising my old girl around yesterday when I heard that familiar sound of a belt thrashing around under the hood. Fortunately, I was actually pulling in to the local Royal Farms store at that xact moment. So I shut her down, opened the hood and began removing what was left of my A/C belt. It was wrapped all around the fan shaft and the fan broke off several parts also. I cant find a number on any piece of the belt to ID it so I can replace it. none of my local parts stores have it in their systems either. I have the four seasons A/C system still from the factory in my truck. Please , if anyone here has the belt number, and any of the other 2 also for the power steer and the alternator, I could greatly use this info. Truck is a 72 with factory air and power steering. It is also my daily driver so if I'm gonna replace on e, I may as well replace all 3. none of them have a part number on them anywhere. Thank you for any help and info in advance...
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Davidf

Re: A/C BELT part number or measurement

Best I could determine is that the belt is 56.5" long, 3/8" wide.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
cooperhw

I just took a longer junk belt this past weekend and wrapped it around my crank and alt. I got the desired length and cut it there. I took the cut belt to O'Reillys and told the guy "I want one this long". Took about 5 minutes but he finally handed me a belt that I took home and dropped right on. I have used string in the past but that goes too deep. You gotta have a v-belt.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
cherokeejohn

I took a piece of rope, wrapped it around the path of the belt, marked it where it met the end. I took that and layed it out straight , then measured it out to be 55.5" in length and 3/8" in width. I called auto zone, told the guy the specs. he went back and checked and "Whalla" it was $9. cant beat that so i bought 2 so I have a spare. thanx fellas for the info
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote