The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
bhayes1

How would you clean up this engine bay

Looking for some suggestions on how to clean up my engine bay. Last weekend I pulled out my original 350 that had a catastrophic failure and am in the process of replacing it with another members donor 305 just to get it back on the road until i rebuild or go a different route. I'm limited to time and space right now as the truck is parked in the driveway of my condo so welding / spraying will not be an option this go around.

I'm thinking I will de-grease it, sand it and rattle-can it. Maybe relocate the MSD box (suggestions welcome) and fill any unused firewall holes the grommets. I'd really like to get rid of the ugly heater / ac box as it isn't in use and just replace it with a standard heater box with only 1 inlet / 1 outlet but I will probably leave that until next time.

Thanks for your input
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
truckster

Re: How would you clean up this engine bay

The firewall is different on the AC and non-AC cabs, so just replacing the heater box won't work.

A good scrubbing and some paint will do wonders in there.

I started out the same way, but then I got ambitious and started pulling the radiator support, inner fenders, brake booster... Three years later I'm still looking at a bare frame from the firewall forward.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Here you can see where I mounted my MSD box. Made the sheet metal mount myself.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
custom10nut

Since you have the engine/trans out. Take your wheel wells out, sand them down and paint them. Then sand and clean your radiator supporting battery tray, and paint it to. You'll be amazed how much this will "clean things up" under the hood.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
low70c10

not to hi-jack this thread but what cruise control box is that?
low70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #6
LongBox

Not sure if you can do this where the truck is now, but I am thinking pressure washing would be a good start. When I got my 69 home, I pressure washed the entire underside, and then, carefully did under the hood wherever I thought I could without causing damage.

After the pressure washing, a degreaser, then scrubbing. The suggestion of removing and painting the inner fenders and rad support are really good ideas.

This is so worth it, as after you do this, it becomes a pleasure to work on the truck.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Long ago in the same situation, I just used degreaser and a single stage spray gun. No other prep but tape. It was a cold January too. Two decades later the engine bay still looked great, at least it did before the tear down. Rattle cans work. I knew an old guy with a beautiful Cheyenne who rattle canned everything but the exterior body. That said, a spray gun is pretty easy. If you have the option I'd use one.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #8
In The Ten Ring

How much money and time do you have?

If not much of either, I'd try and use a degreaser and spray paint the inner fenders, after removing them.

If you have time, money, and/or your own gear, disassemble and media blast and then repaint.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
bhayes1

Quote:
How much money and time do you have?

If not much of either, I'd try and use a degreaser and spray paint the inner fenders, after removing them.

If you have time, money, and/or your own gear, disassemble and media blast and then repaint.

Not much time and money to spend on it this time. It will be coming back out in a year or two and hopefully I can dig a littler deeper into at that point.

Quote:
I started out the same way, but then I got ambitious and started pulling the radiator support, inner fenders, brake booster... Three years later I'm still looking at a bare frame from the firewall forward.
I might have seen that happen to a "project" once or twice. Believe me, if I had a shop and didn't have a baby on the way I'd be tearing it down to the frame.

Thanks for all the input, I'll post pics when I get it back on the road.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
bonehead

My home driveway low buck (lots of elbow grease) method follows: spray down engine compartment with a good "gunk" type cleaner. let it soak but don't let it dry, wire brush greasy areas as you let the "gunk" work. Then make a big tub of laundry detergent in some good hot water and scrub down the whole engine compartment with a big bristle brush. Hose it off, and let it dry. Should end up pretty clean, degreased and ready for some paint. do it twice if its really greasy. good luck
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
1968aj

don't over think this . if its a show truck or a restoration that's different. clean it sand it some then rattle can it. I think flat black or semi gloss looks the best.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
demian5

Im a big fan of powdercoating the inner fenders, core support and any other brackets for the core support. Keeps it looking nice, will never rust where you cant see it. Also gives you a chance to clean up the frame rails and firewall better.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
davepl

Scotchbrite, degreaser, and a ton of work. Then some masking and a couple of cans of underhood black (or SEM Trim Black, my favorite) and it'll look like newish.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
jeffahart

I bet the firewall will clean up nice. Do one bite at a time. Take a spray bottle of 409 spray cleaner. Spray a 12"x12" area and wipe with a red shop rag. Do bits at a time. I bet some 409 will make that fire wall clean up nice. Clean the wires and everything. Can't tell you how many times I've made wire insulation look like new with 409!

409 is my go to cleaner. But I now use "Tub O Towels" to clean up my hand tools. Easier than spraying 409. From what I see you don't need a heavy degreasing, just some elbow grease.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #15
davepl

409 is great, Fantastik is good, and even GoJo hand cleaner works well for getting grease and grime off of wiring harnesses.

I've take the whole harness into the laundry sink and soaked it in Tide and then cleaned it to like new, but there's always a risk of water damage/rust/oxidation in the connectors when you do that. I blew it all out with compressed air fairly diligently though and no problems to date.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
Blue/72

Here is what I did

1. Power washed the engine bay
2. Pulled the engine and whole front clip
3. Re-power washed and degreases the front frame and suspension
4. Powder coated the inner fenders, core support, battery tray and hood hinges
5. Wire wheeled and cleaned up the frame
6. POR-15 the frame and then painted satin black over that
7. Buffed and waxed the firewall and inside the front fenders
8. Re-installed all the parts and pieces
Attached Images

•1972 Cheyenne Super. Sold
Blue/72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by low70c10 View Post
not to hi-jack this thread but what cruise control box is that?
It's the "dealer option" cruise control that is installed on my rig. It actually worked when I first got the truck. But I only have it on the fender as a conversation piece now.

To the OP of the thread looking for cleaner options. Look into the "Degreaser" offered by POR-15. Formerly called "Marine Clean". It is a spray on, let soak, hose off deal. Biodegradable and works like a charm. It's all I use for degreasing anything anymore.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #18
Mike_The_Grad

Purple power degreaser $5-$10 a gallon at autozone,wear gloves safety glasses, big bristle brush,bucket and a hose. I had to go at the frame and suspension with a scraper before any of that. Shaved off 8 pounds of,oil,grease,mud,rock,sticks,concrete,sand.and that was just from the suspension outside of the frame rails! (Now it's lighter and faster.) Then hit the firewall with some 80 grit to rough it up,then some 120 to smooth it out and rattle canned it with some semi gloss black. Wire brushed and red scotch-brite the frame,same rattle can treatment and color. I'm happy with it for the time being. (Front clip is painted grey for now, saving up for a good paint job.) Custom heater delete plate.😆
I know you can't see the frame, but that's where I really took my time and made it look good because I knew I didn't want to have to do it again later.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #19
GSP7

local dude uses upholstery cleaner for degreaser/cleaner

He has a 5 gal container of it. Has the hazmat sticker on it too.

He puts some in a little 16oz hudson sprayer thing and sprays it on, let sit , hose off

Somethin like this https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-NA-U.../dp/B016HNYZHW

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote