The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
BGarza13x

Priorities

When you are working on a new project, do you prefer to work on the interior or exterior first? What about the engine? Ideally, it could all be done almost simultaneously, but, realistically, many of us are working on limited time and limited budgets.
BGarza13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
zac0002

Re: Priorities

In my time of my first build, I have said to myself engine engine engine... There is really no point when on a budget and low time working hard and exterior and interior. Now to insure that no further damage to it happens, i threw on a quick primer inside and out. It looks neat but ready for paint later. Along with interior work, the only thing in the cab you should have to do is wiring. the rest can be saved for later "clean up days" as i call them.
zac0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
nastety92

I purchased my 67 Suburban as a roller. So no motor or trans to start with so that is where all of the money went first. Next I will be working on the interior mostly because body work is not something I can do myself and I just don't have the money to get it painted the way I want it right now. So for me it would be get it running first and driving, then interior, then paid last.

What type of project are you working on?

Nick
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Brakes, suspension steering. Then engine, trans and reliability such as wiring. Then Bodywork, a mock up of interior, paint and final interior. There's tons of other steps like door seals, window regulators and fuzzies, that need to be worked into those major things but that's the way I see as most logical. Doing a mock up of the interior makes sure everything fits so you don't scratch new paint getting it in when finished.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
LuckyScott

Always make it a runner first......
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Alex V.

Yeah, I have to agree with luckyscott. I've only done one resto thus far but I've never considered any other approach than to get the "hard parts" - chassis, driveline, and exterior - 90% done and then do the interior, trim, etc. to round it all out. Firing it up with jumper wires and taking it for a spin around the yard sitting on a bucket is a thrill!

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

I'm with Lucky Scott. Every time I did it the other way I had to pull an engine after the body work was done. Just my bad luck. Less stress when you are worried about scuffing or scratching paint. Not to mention having to modified a freshly painted part because your new thingamabob won't fit otherwise.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote