The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #76
mvpco

Re: Its Gone!!! hit by a DUI

I had full coverage on the Burb, it didnt matter, since it was an older car. I thought I was doing good by putting full coverage on it.

this sucks, now I know why INS companys keep getting bigger.

My INS is USAA, I thought I would be safe. I will go with a specialty INS. Co. next time. Live and Learn.

I will keep you guys updated

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
mvpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #77
69C10@16

Put him in his van and then send it to the crushers @ the local junk yard.....thats my opinion....jerk.......wasnt there just a thread about gettin a sticker for the board about 67-72 truck owners against drunk driving...hello....this is why....i love hating stupid ppl
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #78
mvpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebiter View Post
I saw the wear news. My wife is a cop for the state and she said that the reason they probably didn't arrest him for DUI when they stopped him was due to the paper work being so much. She says that it happens way too much in this county. It might be something you want to check into with the lawyer. I saw your truck before around town, wow it was a beaut. I hope things work out buddy.
THNAKS!

The StateTroper told me the same thing your wife said.

thanks again, I build or find something else sooner or later, I just love the 67-72s. maybe a 72 longhorn 3/4(if there is such a thing).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #79
racerman85

that sucks man, i cant believe that he was just pulled over before he hit your rides... that was a really nice burb too
racerman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #80
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

um when you sue also sue the bar for serving someone who was above the legal limit and intoxicated .. suddenly you dont feel safe in your own home youre terrified that a van is going to get you in your bed at night.. your kids are traumatized etc parlay this one against the city,the negligent cop both personally and as an employee of the city, bar and the useless drunk into a nice chunk of change...
this whole story really has me peeved on your behalf it could have been easily prevented but it seems like lately there are many members here who have been affected by dui lately it really stinks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #81
knsmodels
I make Models

That really sucks.....hope it works out for you......make sure they use the NADA book for the value on your 'burb.....it lists value at $3275-16,800 for the high lows on a 2wd 1/2ton 'burb.......so you would have to evaluate the condition but that is the book they should use.....here is their link

http://www.nadaguides.com

good luck with everything.......

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #82
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

This sucks
#1 Get a Lawyer, not just any Lawyer..a real ugly nasty one (like my ex wife had)
#2 Sue everybody...(God I cant believe I said that since I am so anti law suit) but in this case it is necessary.
#3 Remember THEY OWE YOU!!! ....You should not be out one red cent and even if this POSMFWPOT has no money now, that does not mean he never will....get a judgement against his worthless a$$. And the City, The Cop, and that stupid radio station if they had any hand in this !
They owe you!..this is one time when I say "Sue the B@st@rds!!!

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 PM   #83
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

make sure you have all your book info lined up for this truck before signing a singel piece of paper from anyone. Dumb question I use State Farm and on my old vehicles I have a set value with them since they are not restored yet hopefully yours isn't too low.

All these crashes lately makes me think we all need to call our agents and make sure everything is covered correctly. I have one policy that I called and checked on that the liability coverage was way too low(haden't been changed since 88) car and medical costs have changed a ton since then

I also think old rusty is on to something it is against the law to serve someone to that level of intoxication and the police should have some level of liability as you said they were debating the prior stop in your yard. Give them hell and good luck man.
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #84
OrrieG

You need to look at this thread on Chevelles.com. Similar situation drunk drives across the yard and takes out a pristine ElCamino. He details how he delt with the insurance co to get fair value.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194696
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #85
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I hate agreeing with the lawsuit comment.... but I do agree though. If you were able to smell the beer, why couldn't the cop who stopped him? And even a child could see over twice the legal limit verses sobor. And in the parking lot of the bar?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #86
soala70

Im going to try to make this short as I can. My fatherinlaw is a farmer he accidently clipped a guide wire that held a power pole up it leaned over enough the power line drupped about 14 feet off the ground. I guy came up on it on a motorcycle saw it freaked out layed it over. He sued my father in law, power company,pole manufacture,the company that preserved the pole,the guide wire company,johndeere,and usa that paved the road 6yrs ago. all of them settled out of court cause it was cheaper than dragging it out even though the trooper wrote up motorcyclist driver error. oh yea father in laws insurance settled not him he wanted to fight it but had no say so. SUE HIS A$$
Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #87
space

After a story like this, everyone should check with their ins co to make sure you have an AGREED policy.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #88
Nik

This is by far the best avenue to go down. Get you a lawyer who specializes in Third Party Liability and go after the bar he was at. I taught for the Dept. of Alcohol and Gaming for five years and can tell you all kinds of stories about judgements won against bars who didn't due their duty and keep intoxicated patrons from leaving the establishment. This is a no brainer for an attorney to take on a contigency basis as the bars are required to have liquor liability insurance to cover stuff such as this.
Good Luck,
Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
um when you sue also sue the bar for serving someone who was above the legal limit and intoxicated .. suddenly you dont feel safe in your own home youre terrified that a van is going to get you in your bed at night.. your kids are traumatized etc parlay this one against the city,the negligent cop both personally and as an employee of the city, bar and the useless drunk into a nice chunk of change...
this whole story really has me peeved on your behalf it could have been easily prevented but it seems like lately there are many members here who have been affected by dui lately it really stinks
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #89
rn2fine

Since the vehicles were parked outside of your residence any chance that your homeowners insurance policy may cover the loss too?
rn2fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:50 AM   #90
rn2fine

Just a thought. Finding a lawyer to deal with this case may be difficult. Attorneys get a percentage of any award and because only property was damaged the amount will likely be small in comparison to cases they handle involving personal injury. Glad you and your family are OK. Take care.
rn2fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #91
mvpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn2fine View Post
Just a thought. Finding a lawyer to deal with this case may be difficult. Attorneys get a percentage of any award and because only property was damaged the amount will likely be small in comparison to cases they handle involving personal injury. Glad you and your family are OK. Take care.
you are SO RIGHT!!! I cant find a lawyer because of that. Interesting stuff I got in the mail, I received 10 solitations from Lawyers for the other guy that did all this. had his name on them but my address.....go figure. Not one peice of mail from a Lawyer for ME! This DUI guy will not have any problem getting a Lawyer.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #92
space

IF the bar that keep feeding em and the LEO that let him go could be held accountable, I don't see why someone wouldn't take the case..
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #93
IAFF2407

it's funny how it works, but up in Canada if you can't afford a lawyer (the a*s who hit your trucks) you can apply for legal aid, that lawyer get's his money from us, the tax payer. These deadbeats crooks who are in the system no how to use the system.

advantage - crook

victim - the shaft

funny, I'll bet the driver will sue the bar that FORCED him to consume all the drinks.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #94
Z16

Don't let the insurance company take that Burb. Get a cash settlement and fix it or sell it yourself. The jerkass insurance company would just send it to the crusher
Z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #95
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_cowboy View Post
IF the bar that keep feeding em and the LEO that let him go could be held accountable, I don't see why someone wouldn't take the case..
Because it's a sad reflection on the legal system that physical damage cases aren't of interest to lawyers. Forty percent of the total damage done is a fraction of 40% of a back injury from a car wreck. So the only option is to pay one hourly. At say $200/hour for a middle of the road lawyer, that'll soon turn into $10,000 and exceed what he can get back from the scuzzball who hit the vehicles. Let's be realistic, if the guy couldn't afford to pay for insurance, what chance is there he makes enough to pay back the damage he's done?

I've been in that unfortunate postion myself before that you cannot find anyone to take the case. The city will get their $$$ out of it with fines and penalties but the person suffering the damage gets squat.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #96
watahyahknow

god save .... the system , i wouldnt be suprized if the lawyer makes the driver go after the bar that let him drink too mush and alowed him to leave on his own

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #97
raggedjim

I know that when my sister in law wrecked her S10 the insurance totalled it and gave her the option of buying it back. You may want to ask your insurance company if they would do that (if you want it).

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #98
Chevy454

Quote:
I can just see your insurance company blaming you because of the way your rides were parked. Or him suing because if your fence and cars werent in the way he wouldnt have had this "accident".
We had our 45ft 2-car enclosed gooseneck trailer parked in front of our shop one day...all balck, triple axles, aluminum wheels, decked out inside, less than a handful of years old...so you can get an idea of what it cost us. Anyway, one of our lots has about 100' of highway frontage...one day, dad & I are bumming around town, when a local says "bummer about your trailer". We said "what do you mean", and he tells us "you know, the trailer that the truck & trailer ran through!". We jump in the truck, run over to the shop, and when we pull up, there is a mid-90s 1-ton Dodge flatbed w/gooseneck horse trailer SITTING IN THE @SS END OF OUR TRAILER! It had ran off the road, crossed a head high drainage ditch, knocked over a 4ft high wall/culvert, then ran through and into the side of our car trailer. Guy says someone pulled out in front him, so he took the ditch, and the trailer took one for the team.

Anyway, months and months go by, and when it's all said and done, we get only *partial* compensation and have to pay over $2500 out of our own pockets just to get the trailer back (we did have insurance, even extra coverage considering the cars we haul), not to mention all the time/money we were out having to *pay* to have our muscle cars transported to/from a show we host every year in St. Louis. The insurance companies interviewed both drivers, they both said it "wasn't there fault" (even though they said different @ the scene & on police report)...we fought & fought with the insurance companies, and when I finally pinned them down, I asked them why I should be penalized by having to pay to fix our trailer that someone else screwed up...there explanation was basically "that's the chance you take by having a nice trailer". We consulted a lawyer, but in Missouri you can't sue for court costs, so we figured the $2500+ it took to get the trailer back would be cheaper than the rest of the non-sense.

Last edited by Chevy454; 11-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #99
mvpco

[QUOTE=Chevy454;2467723]We had our 45ft 2-car enclosed gooseneck trailer parked in front of our shop one day...all balck, triple axles, aluminum wheels, decked out inside, less than a handful of years old...so you can get an idea of what it cost us. Anyway, one of our lots has about 100' of highway frontage...one day, dad & I are bumming around town, when a local says "bummer about your trailer". We said "what do you mean", and he tells us "you know, the trailer that the truck & trailer ran through!". We jump in the truck, run over to the shop, and when we pull up, there is a mid-90s 1-ton Dodge flatbed w/gooseneck horse trailer SITTING IN THE @SS END OF OUR TRAILER! It had ran off the road, crossed a head high drainage ditch, knocked over a 4ft high wall/culvert, then ran through and into the side of our car trailer. Guy says someone pulled out in front him, so he took the ditch, and the trailer took one for the team.

WOW! thats what is going on with me now, It is amazing what INS companys get away with. You think your covered...BUT YOUR NOT!
They tell you anything to get your business and then when you need them, they tell you everything to not payup......

I am learning some interesting things.

They should have a TV show that exposes this maybe called: "SO you THINK your Covered".....

I just got the estimate to fix the fence, $894.00 My ded is $500 so I guess I get a check gor $394 Sweeet, what a deal.........thanks.....

sorry to vent
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #100
mvpco

It is on Mobile, AL News channel and Website now!!

Jeff Smith saw "Police Blunder? Accident under investigation" on NBC15
Online and thought you'd be interested in it too.

Here's what they wrote to you about it:
WOW!!!

Article Link:
http://www.nbc15online.com/news/loca...5-31522fca1169

To see more stories please visit http://www.nbc15online.com