The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
REEDS 72

gas tank cap

Anybody know who sell a good locking gas cap for a 72 one that the rubber dose not deteriorate in a short period of time. And one that keeps the fumes in the tank any help will greatly appreciated as I can not drive or use my truck right now with no cap.
REEDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: gas tank cap

On 9-11, I had a bit of an anxiety attack and went to my local NAPA store and bought a new locking gas cap for my '69. So, tried NAPA?

Another possibility for gas fumes could be the locking ring on the float ass'y and the rubber fuel line that is on the tank. In '72, there could also have been an additional fuel line...can't remember so don't hold me in contempt of court.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
MikeyMan

Re: gas tank cap

Gas caps can be found at most auto parts stores. Look them up online, and buy in-store. You may want to take old cap for comparison, sometimes these tanks get swapped and may have a different size filler neck.

Your 72 may also have some emission related extra hoses. Some have evaporation line that runs through cab then frame rail to canister in engine bay. Though most of these systems have been bypassed/modified/eliminated, there's a chance a deteriorated line could be the source of fumes in cab. I've also seen a short rubber "vent" hose near the filler neck inside the cab. Check and replace ALL rubber that is inside your cab.
My first vehicle was a 69 C-10, and I was getting gassed out. Turns out the tank itself was rusted through causing the fumes. Had to pull the tank in my 71 a couple years ago when doing cab mounts. The bottom and backside had lots of surface rust that couldn't be seen while tank was in place. I cleaned it, treated and painted it before it could become a more serious issue. So don't rule out the tank.

Also like Ray says, at the sending unit/fuel pickup there's an O-ring seal under the lock ring. Make sure everything's tight there. Check all the fuel line and rubber hose connections. Today's alcohol based gasoline is rough on rubber fuel hose, especially if it's original.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote