The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Question about rebuilding front suspension

What all is involved in rebuilding the front suspension on a '68 c20? I know quite a bit about 4x4 suspensions, but 2wd's boggle me. Is it something easily done by a relative novice with good mechanical ability, or would I be better off going to a shop? If I did have a shop do it what kind of price would I be looking at? If I do it myself, where would you guys recommend I get the parts? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
acloco

Check the back page of Hot Rod, Car Craft, or Super Chevy... Performance Suspension Technology.......first class parts and great prices.

As far as ability to do the job...you are already there. Now, having a few pieces of equipment necessary.....namely a press....that is really all that you need in remove/install the components.

The upper & lower suspension bushings/arms are the hardest. The ball joints are no problem.

One word of advice.....do it all. New springs, brake wheel cylinders, shoes, pads, brake shoe spring hold down kit, bearings, seals, shocks, upper & lower ball joints, new bushings AND arms (not A -Arms..but the arm that the upper & lower bushings ride on).......and.....a hot tank or media blaster.

I know the parts list sounds extreme to some.....but when you drive a 67-72 pickup that drives like new.....your smile will thank your wallet and your hard work for YEARS to come.

I completely stripped the front end of my 69 down to the engine cradle. I stripped all the parts and dumped everything into the hot tank at work, bead blasted after that, and painted everything after I was done. The truck drives better than ever!!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 05:46 AM   #3
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Cool, I have access to a press and have already done the brakes, so now I just have to locate a hot tank. I could find a media blaster easily, but I'd rather just dip it in a vat of hot junk and be done with it.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
acloco

You can do the job without the hot tank....it was available to me for free....so why not use it!!

Degrease everything as much as possible, media blast all the parts......and go for it.

The media blasting actually does a great job of prepping the surface for paint. I did prime everything then paint.

Good luck!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote