The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
Blazer Steve

Rear Air ride no frame cut

Hey guys looking at swapping coil springs for airbags not ready for complete airride setup yet..... Anyone have pics of air bags in rear without cutting and step notching their frames

1972 GMC
Blazer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:44 PM   #2
zicc1835

Re: Rear Air ride no frame cut

[QUOTE=Blazer Steve;9203031]Hey guys looking at swapping coil springs for airbags not ready for complete airride setup yet..... Anyone have pics of air bags in rear without cutting and step notching their frames

1972 GMC[/QUOTE

hope these help
Attached Images

zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
Blazer Steve

Thanks Looking for the finalized ride height sorry should have been more clear... I think I have an decent idea of what I need though!

Steve
Old 05-12-2023, 04:43 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

This is as low as possible fully aired out and if you remove the factory bump stops. Rear tires are 15/50/295's.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer Steve View Post
Thanks Looking for the finalized ride height sorry should have been more clear... I think I have an decent idea of what I need though!

Steve
Final ride height will depend on the truck/owner. The height could be anywhere from just above stock height to ~7" of drop which would be where the rear-end is going to contact the rails & the differential will hit the floor above it.

Anywhere in between is possible.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 11:35 AM   #6
Blazer Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
This is as low as possible fully aired out and if you remove the factory bump stops. Rear tires are 15/50/295's.
Awesome! Thats what I wanted to see! TY
Old 05-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #7
Blazer Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Final ride height will depend on the truck/owner. The height could be anywhere from just above stock height to ~7" of drop which would be where the rear-end is going to contact the rails & the differential will hit the floor above it.

Anywhere in between is possible.
Yeah I get that its fully adjustable, just wanted to see a pic of airbags replacing the coils and see ride height.. want to lower service body 72 as low as possible w/o cutting frame for now.... one day in the future it will will get pulled apart to do full airride, but 1st I need to finish my 65 which is taking all my shop space ! Thanks!
Old 05-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Awesome! Thats what I wanted to see! TY
That was with the truck aired out frame sitting on the rear axle and hard on the front control arms.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:26 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah I get that its fully adjustable, just wanted to see a pic of airbags replacing the coils and see ride height.. want to lower service body 72 as low as possible w/o cutting frame for now.... one day in the future it will will get pulled apart to do full airride, but 1st I need to finish my 65 which is taking all my shop space ! Thanks!
That was the point I was attempting to make. The 'ride height' can be anywhere depending on what parts are used, what pressure the person likes, & what bracketry/how the bags are installed. Same thing for the total drop. It can vary depending on the parts combo & what the actual physical limitation is.

So you'd want to know what set-up the person is using (parts, pressures, installation specs) to go along w/any images they provide to narrow down your choice. Beyond that, it's adjustable as you mentioned.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-15-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 PM   #10
Blazer Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
That was the point I was attempting to make. The 'ride height' can be anywhere depending on what parts are used, what pressure the person likes, & what bracketry/how the bags are installed. Same thing for the total drop. It can vary depending on the parts combo & what the actual physical limitation is.

So you'd want to know what set-up the person is using (parts, pressures, installation specs) to go along w/any images they provide to narrow down your choice. Beyond that, it's adjustable as you mentioned.
I totally get what you are saying and have a completely airred out frame laying 65 so I understand all that... I wanted to see if adding airbags to the factory setup in the wifes 72 made sense instead of lowered springs and blocks I wanted to see more of the "aired out" look of a 72 with bags aired that are mounted in the factory locations... just trying to determine if I wanted to slam hers to the ground on static lowering job and deal with the FUN of driving a truck w crossmembers and control arms inches from the ground, or the flexibility to air up and drive the "lowered" truck at a more factory ride height. After seeing what I see, will probably just go full mods on her service truck! Thanks again Sorry if I sounded *****y.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:38 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
I totally get what you are saying and have a completely airred out frame laying 65 so I understand all that... I wanted to see if adding airbags to the factory setup in the wifes 72 made sense instead of lowered springs and blocks I wanted to see more of the "aired out" look of a 72 with bags aired that are mounted in the factory locations... just trying to determine if I wanted to slam hers to the ground on static lowering job and deal with the FUN of driving a truck w crossmembers and control arms inches from the ground, or the flexibility to air up and drive the "lowered" truck at a more factory ride height. After seeing what I see, will probably just go full mods on her service truck! Thanks again Sorry if I sounded *****y.
No issues here & not @ all.

It's one of those grey areas when info is shared. I try to make sure the 'requester' gets the logic of knowing all the variables for a certain stance when making their decisions pertaining to parts purchases. Those parts and/or their bracketry can make a difference.

Keep us posted on the progress!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #12
zicc1835

I measured my frame on my 71 with the bags aired out and its under 14.5 inches from the ground if that helps I don't have the step side bed back on it yet so no pictures available hope this dosnt muddy the waters........
Attached Images

zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #13
Blazer Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
I measured my frame on my 71 with the bags aired out and its under 14.5 inches from the ground if that helps I don't have the step side bed back on it yet so no pictures available hope this dosnt muddy the waters........
Awesome info Thanks!!