The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Bulldog88

Charging problem

I changed my truck out and put a carburator on it, I also changed the serpentine system and installed a march pulley system, the alternator takes the old style plug, so I spliced the single wire that comes on a 88 model to the white wire of the two prong plug and the red wire back to the main power on the back of the alternator, I also have electric fans that are on a temp switch with a relay, small 10 inch speaker and a two channel amp, msd ignition system, and fog lights that are spliced in with my headlights, two grounds off the block to the frame. I have a brand new red top optima battery and it drains the battery completely. I have to get a new battery every four months does any one have any idea what is going on.
Bulldog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Charging problem

Yeah, there's an electrical drain on your battery.

When it is dark, or where it is dark, make sure that everything is turned off. Radio. Lights, you get the gist.

Then, go to your battery and disconnect the negative cable. You'll probably see a spark. Reconnect the cable.

At that time, select something that is fused inside the cab on the fuse block. Pull a fuse, then go back and disconnect the negative cable, again. If the spark is still seen, it is something besides what you just disabled electrically when you pulled the fuse. Replace that fuse and select another item. Pull that fuse, then disconnect the cable.

In any event, you can also used a voltmeter between the negative cable that you removed and the negative post of the battery. If there is a draw on the battery, you'll read the voltage on the meter.

This is a contentious undertaking, but it's one way to hopefully locate the offensive circuit.

One question: Did you have that problem before all of your mechanical and electrical changes? If not, then something you did has made the difference. You should be able to look at a wiring diagram in a Haynes or Chilton's manual. You do have one, right?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Bulldog88

I dont recall having those problems before, the way I hooked up my electric fans are of power from the fuse box, I also have a holley electric pump without a relay hooked up to the fuse block, my alternator is still factory amps, do I need to upgrade to higher amps? also is the way I hooked the alternator the right way single wire from the stock harness to the white and red back to the power on the back of the alternator along with the main power wire.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My thinking is that you should find the right wiring diagram for your truck and check it out. I don't have the answers you need.

Regardless of the power output of the alternator, if you have an electrical drain that is zapping your battery every 4 months, a million-amp alternator isn't going to help. You have to find the source of the drain on your battery and fix it.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Bulldog88

Maybe you can help me out. I put a new battery in the truck check it the next day and the battery was completely dead, the switch was off and nothing on. I put a new battery in and turn the lights on and my headlights dont come on there very dim,the wiring that runs to the lights is hot and started smoking and melting the wires i have no idea what the problem is.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

You have a short circuit. A powered wire is grounding-out against the chassis or body of the truck. You need to find it quickly, OR you are going to find that your truck has melted-down tires and is no longer anything you'd want.

If you don't have comprehensive vehicle insurance yet, you should get it today! Your truck is a vehicle fire, waiting to happen....and at the worst possible time. If it is being parked in a garage or a carport or next to your home, I'd move it away from a residential structure. I don't know how more plainly to state it.

Your electrical issues are dangerously close to making themselves quite evident, if you can pinpoint the start of the electrical fire in the ashes that remain.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Bulldog88

I worked on the truck today and re spliced some wires to the headlights, I removed the foglights because I had them spliced into the headlights Im going to run them on a separate switch with a relay, my fans seem to work ok my headlights are working the harness did not get hot anymore so maybe Im going the right direction. Tomorrow Ill keep messing with it.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
danomano

You need a volt meter and tell us what you got when it is running.
danomano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer....but thanx for letting us know you found something and fixed it, whether or not it is what's draining your battery or not.

There's an article in the August edition of Custom Classic Trucks or Classic Trucks that is about electrical systems and troubleshooting. Get a copy. Good tips on how to find problems.