The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Front End Removal

I wasn’t able to get all I wanted done today. First half of the day was Christmas shopping, getting more fire wood, etc. I was able to get the front end off but, I ran into a snag. The Centerline rims that I have on the panel have locking nuts. It’s been years since I’ve looked for the special socket that removes them and guess what….I couldn’t find it. I tried to tap a socket onto one of the lugs hoping it would grab enough to get it going…not. I made a couple of attempts at putting my vise grips on a lug and taping it with a hammer to break it loose…not.

Not wanting to waste a lot of time, I left them on and remove the bolts holding the springs to the frame. Then, I rolled the whole shooting match out of the way. I’ll fight the lug nut battle another day. If anyone has any tips on removing the lug nuts, PLEASE give me your ideas. I’ve got a feeling it’s really going to bite trying to get them off.

I began removing the shock mounts from the frame and the rear spring mounts. Taking a cut off wheel in the grinder to them worked great. Talk about stink! Old grease from year gone by with a little heat produces a truly wonderful smell. A quick hit with the air hammer point made the rivets holding the front shock mount come right out. The rear spring mount was a different story…

After cutting the rivets off, I noticed that the outside top edges of the mount had two separate inch long welds to the frame. I started cutting at them but wasn’t able to get the mount loose before it was time to start cleaning up the driveway. What caught me as funny was the spring mount on the passenger’s side did not have those same welds…just the rivets holding them into place. I couldn’t see any sign of repair that would have caused someone to put the welds in place. The welds themselves were clean (under the grease of course) like they could have been done at the factory. Perhaps there’s additional stress on the driver’s side that would have made them do it at the factory? Beats the snot out of me. Makes my job harder though…

If anyone knows that this was or wasn't a standard, shoot me a message. I'm just curious.

Later,
Jon
Attached Images

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
bagged01extcab

Re: Front End Removal

Mac tools (and probably others) make a tool to get locking lugs off. Your best bet would be to find a local tool truck, and they will probably have the tool.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged01extcab
Mac tools (and probably others) make a tool to get locking lugs off. Your best bet would be to find a local tool truck, and they will probably have the tool.
Cool! I just saw a truck today. I'll have to check that out.
Thanks!
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
bagged01extcab

No problem!
Old 12-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
PHAT 53

3100 Special

Your doing great, it took me days to cut off the old mounts and all the other extraneous stuff on my frame before I had it sand blasted. I have taken two 1953 truck apart to get the parts I needed for one whole truck. I saw no welding like you have found. I would suspect that the rivets may have gotten loose and they welded the mount to solve the problem.
I think you are doing the front the right way with a complete setup from TCI. When I did mine I cut off a front end from a Pinto wagon and took it apart and rebuilt the whole thing. I then bought a cross member from Zig’s and welded it in. I have been rolling the frame around till this Christmas and I got the TCI Mustang conversion mounts and 11 inch rotors with calipers to install during the holiday break from work if I can get the time. I also got the master cylinder and power brake booster for Christmas from my significant other. Maybe I’ll get all the brakes done soon.
Are you going to pull the body and blast the frame? I have all the body parts off now. It’s easer to work on but finding the room is tuff. I think the cab must weigh 600 lb with the doors on. Your panel will be a lot more I would think. Keep at it. Marry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT 53
Are you going to pull the body and blast the frame? It’s easer to work on but finding the room is tuff.
Yes and no to your question! I am going to pull the frame out later but, I'm just going to attack it with a wire wheel and flapper disk. Then I coat her with Zero Rust. I have the same problem with room. It's in the driveway until I get the new front end on. Our home owner association isn't all that bad but, I try not to give them a reason to focus on me. I was on the board for a couple of years so, they know me and I don't fall into the "bad" catagory...too often...

And now the update...
Howdy all on a very Merry Christmas Eve! It was a nice warm day here south of Houston. I was able to work almost all day on the panel truck. It was a great way to spend the day before my birthday. I was whistling Christmas tunes all day…to the backgrounds sounds of the grinder, air hammer and welder!

Finished getting the spring and shock brackets off without too much trouble. Air tools rock don’t they? I took the Dremel with the fiberglass cut off wheels to the one spring mount I mentioned before. Came right off. The biggest pain was the removal of the master cylinder/bracket from under the cab. The top two bolts were difficult to get to. I was able to get an air ratchet on the underside of the one in the back but, the one in the front had to be done by hand…fun stuff…

I went over the frame with a putty knife to get the large chucks of dried grease and dirt then, went after it with a flapper disk. After that, I was able to get one side of the frame boxed and smoothed. I want to go over it again to get better penetration and a solid, smooth bead.

Weather permitting; I’ll be back on it again come Monday.

We hope that you all have a safe and Merry Christmas!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by 3100 special; 12-24-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Nice job. I am assuming your going with MII. Her are a couple pics of my 52:
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Phatt47

Hey man what are thoes inner fender tubs ? I used an extra pair of 47-54 rear fenders on mine. They looked so cool i did not put a tailgate on . Looking from the back you really get to see those wide tires and how neat they look.
Phatt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

Phatt47,

That's what they are - rear fenders. Do you have pics of yours?

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Yep, the TCI basic model...power assist. I'll have more photos this evening.
I like the fender idea on your bed. Looks better than traditional tubs.