The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
NONHOG

I guess this is bodywork?

So I am a complete heal. Broke a bolt that connects the hood to the hinge.
Alternate tinkering project.
Not the worst thing in the world. But my wife and kid were right there and I pitched a fit kicking and denting the crap out of my DD front fender. What a moron I was. Oh well that is over beside easy out any other ideas? Its a freshly painted hood I just picked up from the painters and now I cant install it. Dang it (nicer than what I was saying earlier) I suppose its time to buy an easy out set?
Shoulda, ran a brush through the threads first (bit rusty)
Coulda, taken the time to have a look at the threads before running the bolt in
Woulda, heck I dunno........ I'm still a bit pissed, mostly at myself

pics later? Maybe.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
MP&C

Re: I guess this is bodywork?

Ouch! Good luck with the repairs..
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
MARTINSR

You need to start fixing yourself first, then worry about the bolt. You may think I am joking but I am not. I have many issues that I would have a hard time getting through life if not for the many self help books I have read over the years.

Get this one to begin. https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Sweat-Sm.../dp/0786881852

Yesterday I broke a bolt off too, in a 2016 HINO truck that we have been working on at the shop for a few months and we REALLY need to finish it up. I broke a bolt off holding the mirror to the door. I looked it over finding a solution, drilled the thing out, ran a tap into the bracket right there on the newly painted brand new door, ran a new bolt and moved on.

There is no reason what so ever to be so upset as you did, it helps nothing and only creates more problems.

It's always best to run a tap through threads like that. If you are working regularly on cars I would highly recommend getting yourself a nice tap and die set. Remember that the taps are hardened steel and break easy so don't ever force it, you go in and out a fraction of a turn to use it. With each turn going in a little more, that's how you basically use a tap.

On your hood, one thing you need to do is to be sure you don't drill a hole through the bolt into the outer sheet metal!

I solve this usually by limiting the length of the drill, put a piece of tubing over it if you need so the drill can only go as deep as you want.

God luck, and honestly, get yourself this book and start a life of study, there is no reason not to. I am very thankful for the books I have read that help me every day.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
NONHOG

Brian, I agree with what you have said, what you didn't know is its not my normal course of action. I was mad at not cleaning the threads first as I know better. Lack of sleep had me on the ragged edge. My wife just had her gallbladder removed and had me getting up early hours getting her pain pills etc.
So add the pressure of my wife's Dad in failing health, who bought the car for my wife. She wants to take him for a drive while he can enjoy it. Then the way overdue paint job on the hood. bla bla bla.
I have read books similar to what you have suggested.
I apologized to my wife and kid and told my boy that was a poor example of how to handle things.
Rather than deal with any attempt at repair last night I walked away. After my meltdown.

Back to the bolt.
I sprayed InForce on it before leaving for work this morning.
Worst case I drill and go oversize (I hope not)
Hoping easy out works. Might see if I can slide a piece of 16G under the threaded area.
Its been decades since I had to use an easy out (been lucky I suppose)
I started this thread wondering if any new tech has developed?
Probably should have left out the tantrum. Ah well.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Brian, I agree with what you have said, what you didn't know is its not my normal course of action. I was mad at not cleaning the threads first as I know better. Lack of sleep had me on the ragged edge. My wife just had her gallbladder removed and had me getting up early hours getting her pain pills etc.
So add the pressure of my wife's Dad in failing health, who bought the car for my wife. She wants to take him for a drive while he can enjoy it. Then the way overdue paint job on the hood. bla bla bla.
I have read books similar to what you have suggested.
I apologized to my wife and kid and told my boy that was a poor example of how to handle things.
Rather than deal with any attempt at repair last night I walked away. After my meltdown.

Back to the bolt.
I sprayed InForce on it before leaving for work this morning.
Worst case I drill and go oversize (I hope not)
Hoping easy out works. Might see if I can slide a piece of 16G under the threaded area.
Its been decades since I had to use an easy out (been lucky I suppose)
I started this thread wondering if any new tech has developed?
Probably should have left out the tantrum. Ah well.
Hope all gets better, yes there are times when any of us go too far, sorry to hear of your troubles.

Is any of the bolt sticking out? I can't believe how many times I have had a bolt break and then find out I can unscrew it easily! It broke going in, it may have cleaned the threads up and now it will unscrew. I have grabbed them with vice grips or using a sharp small chisel got them moving out so I could grab it. Give that a try?

Brian

Old 07-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
NONHOG

Its below surface.
Might try tapping it at the raised part if its protruding enough? Co worker will let me borrow his LH drill bits so that is a possibility. Then (if need be) EZ out.
Last re drill and tap new threads. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Cell phone pic.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
raggedjim

I think you know the process, it ain't fun...

If it wasn't so below the surface you could weld a nut to it but I don't think you would ever be able to do that as low as it is.

Good luck, Rg

P.S. I keep and old bed off of a truck out in my field, so if I ever feel a need to kick something, I walk out to it and usually, by the time I get there, I don't feel the need to do it anymore!

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
cg285

easy peasy. that's the stuff that ez outs actually work with. use the largest ez out possible
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I think you know the process, it ain't fun...

If it wasn't so below the surface you could weld a nut to it but I don't think you would ever be able to do that as low as it is.

Good luck, Rg

P.S. I keep and old bed off of a truck out in my field, so if I ever feel a need to kick something, I walk out to it and usually, by the time I get there, I don't feel the need to do it anymore!
Thanks! Poor Avalon it was just parked too close. Now I get to practice my "Keys to metal bumping" I just finished a book so I'll pick that one up again.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
B. W.

With the bolt broken off below the surface it makes it easy to drill dead center. Use a drill bit that fits the hole snugly (is that a word?) For example, for a 3/8" threaded hole a 5/16 fits nice. Just drill enough to spot the center then switch to a smaller bit. The left hand bits work well, sometimes they will "snag" (like drill bits do) & the bolt will screw right out. Good luck!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
easy peasy. that's the stuff that ez outs actually work with. use the largest ez out possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
With the bolt broken off below the surface it makes it easy to drill dead center. Use a drill bit that fits the hole snugly (is that a word?) For example, for a 3/8" threaded hole a 5/16 fits nice. Just drill enough to spot the center then switch to a smaller bit. The left hand bits work well, sometimes they will "snag" (like drill bits do) & the bolt will screw right out. Good luck!
Thanks guys!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #12
franken

Kicking another car, the dog, wife or children only make a small problem worse.
You may want to learn how to use tools and the feel of things going together right/wrong because you had to have tried hard to crossthread and shear that bolt. Similarly, when removing a rusty bolt/nut, turn out and in .25 turn leaning a bit on the out. The threads jam on the rust.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #13
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Kicking another car, the dog, wife or children only make a small problem worse.
You may want to learn how to use tools and the feel of things going together right/wrong because you had to have tried hard to crossthread and shear that bolt. Similarly, when removing a rusty bolt/nut, turn out and in .25 turn leaning a bit on the out. The threads jam on the rust.
Yeah thanks . Tell me was it rust or me cross threading because I don't remember you being there and its confusing. You seem to have answers. Love to hear more of the wisdom you have gathered.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
NONHOG

Used my drill guide that fit nicely in the recess off the hood, centering pretty well the drill bit. Only went so far down, now (tonight?) I will use the reverse bit and if need be use the extractor set.

Then a trip to the hardware store for a metric tap.
Looks like the fender has to come off, no room to bump out my new "idiot" dent.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Quote:
Used my drill guide that fit nicely in the recess off the hood, centering pretty well the drill bit. Only went so far down, now (tonight?) I will use the reverse bit and if need be use the extractor set.

Looks like the fender has to come off, no room to bump out my new "idiot" dent.
Why metric? What hood is this?

Brian

Old 07-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #16
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Why metric? What hood is this?

Brian
Alternate tinkering, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366363

skip to the last page for a video
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #17
hewittca

Quote:
Yeah thanks . Tell me was it rust or me cross threading because I don't remember you being there and its confusing. You seem to have answers. Love to hear more of the wisdom you have gathered.
How did this turn into a self help thread?

That kind of stuff happens to ALL of us. I am the reigning champ of breaking taps. I try to be proactive about something by cleaning out the threads and just make it worse for myself... Anyway, the hood should still stay on without that bolt right? That's what I would do...
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #18
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
How did this turn into a self help thread?

That kind of stuff happens to ALL of us. I am the reigning champ of breaking taps. I try to be proactive about something by cleaning out the threads and just make it worse for myself... Anyway, the hood should still stay on without that bolt right? That's what I would do...
Because I went off topic, my bad.

On the bolt, I tried reverse bits, no luck, EZ out no luck, drilled increasing larger sizes and some luck. It now, after the thin shell of the bolt fell (pried) out, is 2/3 complete. Meaning being just slightly off center I wiped out maybe a 1/3 of the threads. Going to Loctite that one and call it a day. And just snug so I don't overtax what is left. Cleaned the other 3 threads like I should have done in the first place.
Back in business.
Thanks all!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
NONHOG

Quote:

Made it to my local hardware store with minutes left and found the replacement bolt that actually looks just like the original, didn't expect that.
Oh and I had the tap. Doh.