The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #51
TurboLS

Re: 76 Stepside Resto

While I was waiting for the rear brackets to show up I started Plumbing my Fuel system. I purchased a fuel kit from Pacific Fabrication, same shop I got my motor and tranny from. It includes a Walbro Fuel pump, pressure regulating fuel filter with return line, rubber hose, aluminum line, and all the fittings. I got to the point where I have to wait for the cab to be back on to finish it. Plumbing between the C notch was a little tricky, but I think it came out clean.
Attached Images

2012 Harley Davidson Fatbob Custom

My build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703077

Last edited by TurboLS; 12-18-2016 at 04:24 AM.
TurboLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #52
TurboLS

Nate also sent me Porterbuilts new front Sway Bar. This thing is beef! It's a hollow bar, made from tubing, but light weight. And from what I have read online, way better than a solid bar. More of a track application. Its not on yet. Need to finish drilling some holes. And get the bar to Powdercoat. But you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2016, 04:23 AM   #53
TurboLS

So at the moment I have 2 big tasks in front of me. 1, finish getting the bottom of my cab sanded down and sprayed with undercoat. And 2, get my Header situation figured out. I have gone back and forth on headers. Porterbuilt does make there own headers but they do not fit with my kit. Only their passenger header fits. I found a company out of South San Francisco, Sanderson Headers, that make application specific and custom headers. I picked up a set of their LS Swap Headers, and only the drivers side fits. So right now I have a Sanderson on the driver and a Porterbuilt on the passenger. Not really going to work. Both of these are Shorties. So I think when the time comes, I will be having Sanderson Custom make a set of Long Tube Headers and also run the entire exhaust, since the center Chassis Stiffener does cause some routing trouble. Sanderson wants the entire truck together, so I will not have any exhaust for a while.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2016, 01:42 AM   #54
TurboLS

Not sure what has lite the fire under my Ass lately, but I feel like I have actually been getting some stuff done. Today, I finally got the Cab ready to go back on. Over the last week, I have spent hours under it with a wire wheel grinder cleaning up everything. Today I got to tape it all off and lay down the Undercoat. Came out good. If everything goes right this week at work I should have the Cab on by the weekend. We shall see.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #55
TurboLS

Made some more progress tonight. Been making a big push to get ready for the Cab to go back on, and tomorrow is the day! Finally got the Sway Bar bolted in. Had to shave off the shoulder of the bushings at the bar ends, but not a big deal. Also got the Forward and Rear Cab Mounts on. The center bolt on the rear mounts were a little tricky because the Chassis Brace mounts share some of the same holes. Had to shave some washers to make them look clean. It was a good few hours of work buttoning up some loose ends.

Also ordered the new American AutoWire Fuse box and Harness kit. The new Hydro Boost Brake booster and Wilwood Master Cylinder and Proportioning Valve. New Tilt Steering Column made for floor shift and a badass Keyless start kit with Fobs, remote start function, push button start and a key pad if the batteries die. Pics to come soon!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #56
Shugalou

Looking damn good! Inspiring

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #57
TurboLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugalou View Post
Looking damn good! Inspiring
Thanks Shugalou!

Well, I met my goal for the week. The Cab is back on. And I must say, after the initial shock was over of going from stock height to lowered, I am loving the stance! Had a buddy come over and help work a jack. We took our time and made sure everything lined up right. I can't wait til the bed is back on. But 1st I have a lot of plumbing and wiring to do. And if the rear is anything like the front, I can stuff some seriously wide sticky tires under it when she's done!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #58
evan

Nice job. Keep it up!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #59
TurboLS

So got a few parts in today. My Hydro Booster, new Wilwood master cylinder and proportioning valve kit, and an Easy Guard security system which gives me a push button start and remote start (which I will try and attempt). I could also have keyless entry but my truck has manual locks not electric.

When I tried to mate the booster and master I was disappointed to find I had about a 1/4" gap. I contacted Performance Online and they referred me to Jeff, at Karps Power Brakes. Jeff recommended that I either drill out or grind down the Aluminum Bullet spacer that comes with the Wilwood master. Since I have a Mill and happened to have a 5/16 Ball End Mill, I chose to drill the hole. I worked it a little at a time until the master sat perfect on the booster. Now just waiting for the Booster to firewall bracket to show up.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #60
TurboLS

Since a new steering column will be going in I decided to completely remove the pedal mount assembly that also is the studs for the Brake Booster. Yes, my truck was a 3 on the Tree manual tranny. So the clutch pedal has to go. I will be reinstalling the clutch pedal pivot spacer just to reinforce the bracket when the bolt it tightened down. Gonna also get it cleaned up before it goes back in.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 AM   #61
TurboLS

End of the week update!

Got my Hydro Booster brackets in today from Performance Online. Good quality and came powder coated in black.

Also, I have decided not to run the Remote/Keyless Start kit. I thought I would be cool, and I still do. It's just not the way I wanted this truck to go. So the kit is now gone.

On a positive note, I just picked up a set of AFR Aluminum Heads. Custom Aluminum Intake, and Custom Cam package to follow shortly!!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #62
91short

I really like everything you've done, it's gonna be a killer truck.
91short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #63
TurboLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91short View Post
I really like everything you've done, it's gonna be a killer truck.
Thanks 91short!

So I finally received my American Autowire Kit! Looks cool. Very complete. Detailed instructions. It will get rid of 40 year old wiring that has already be cut and modified multiple times. And also get rid of the glass fuses. It comes with provisions for adding my planned Dakota Digital gauge cluster and my LS swap. Just need to finish up my firewall. Hopefully start this tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 AM   #64
TurboLS

Today I finished cleaning up the firewall. Spent some time with the wire wheel. I had already cleaned and painted the passenger side and across the top a few years back when the motor was installed, so those areas just needed a light scuff and a fresh coat. Came out nice enough. Hopefully tomorrow get the brake pedal assembly back in so I can mount the Brake booster, followed by the beginning of my rewire.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #65
TurboLS

So quick update:
I got the under dash Brake pedal mount/Brake Booster Mount off the get Beadblasted so I could paint it and get it back in. My Powdercoat guy is a hell of a salesman and for a couple bucks he powdercoated the bracket. Even though it will never be seen. Looks good anyway! I got that reinstalled and moved on to the Booster.

It's just the 1st fit of the Booster and Master cylinder, but it's looking good. The Performance Online Brackets fit great and have adjustment build in. I will have to pull it all back out to cut and thread the rod to the Brake pedal to make it longer. Minor setback.

Also finally received my new Steering column. Looks great. I ordered it made for a floor shifter and also shorter to push it closer to the dash and give me more clearance when running linkage to the steering rack. Swapped over my steering wheel just to see. It's brand new, but I bought it 8 years ago.

I'm getting stuff done but need to start focusing on 1 piece at a time and finish it. Hopefully next week gives me some more time to work.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #66
moregrip

Awesome build brother! Your truck has some serious hardware in it! What's the plan for wheels and tires?

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #67
TurboLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Awesome build brother! Your truck has some serious hardware in it! What's the plan for wheels and tires?
Thanks Moregrip! I'm building a driver, not a show queen, that's for sure. I've been thinking about Wheels for a while. Not sure which way to go yet. They will definitely be wider. From my rough measurements I should be able to squeeze as much as 4" more out back. And I'll probably jump to 18". The 17" wheels on it now barely clear the new steering rod ends off the rack. My tire choice is just going to be "sticky"! My Tuner says the motor combo should make 550-600 HP at the crank so my biggest concern is being able to hook.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 AM   #68
TurboLS

One step forward, and Two steps Back!!

I thought I was going to start installing the new wiring today but realized really fast that the bottom half of my dash (steel part) has been neglected. And also to make the mods to my Brake Booster Rod and install of my steering column go a lot smoother, it would be nice to not have wiring in the way.

So I have now removed the steering column, dash, seat, carpet, ash tray, glove box, and floor kick panels. And tomorrow will start to prep the lower half of my dash for new paint. Well, in my case, Spray on Truck Bed Liner. It's tough, lasts long, applies easy, and looks good.

Might as well get it done. No point in half-assing it now. Besides I would probably be pissed at my self for not doing it when I had the chance.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 AM   #69
TurboLS

Made some progress today. Spent a couple hours this morning sanding my entire dash. Ended up also removing the windshield. I needed to replace the windshield seal anyway. Probably the most tedious thing I have done is scrap and sand away 40 years of windshield sealant. But got it all cleaned up, taped off and shot a good coat of truck bed liner. Which is what I have used for multiple areas throughout the truck (door jabs, cowl area, core support).

Also got a couple goodies in today. A Flaming River Steering Column mount and the 1st of 3 Steering Linkage joints.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #70
Will206

Outstanding build. I see a lot of love and a lot of dollar signs.

With your hydroboost you had a little issue with rod length (I did too), but did you at all change the location of the factory hole where the rod connects to the pedal? The reason I ask is because I didn't either, and although I haven't been able to try my brakes yet, a lot of conversion guides and posts suggested that hydroboost pedals mount a little differently than stock ones, and many ended up welding tabs and or drilling a new hole on their factory pedals for a ratio that is more suited for hydroboost.

Here's a thread where it's discussed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658227

Also, did you just use a factory grommet between your HB and the firewall? Mine would not fit and I ended up doing something custom that I am not really happy with.
Will206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 AM   #71
TurboLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will206 View Post
Outstanding build. I see a lot of love and a lot of dollar signs.

With your hydroboost you had a little issue with rod length (I did too), but did you at all change the location of the factory hole where the rod connects to the pedal? The reason I ask is because I didn't either, and although I haven't been able to try my brakes yet, a lot of conversion guides and posts suggested that hydroboost pedals mount a little differently than stock ones, and many ended up welding tabs and or drilling a new hole on their factory pedals for a ratio that is more suited for hydroboost.

Here's a thread where it's discussed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658227

Also, did you just use a factory grommet between your HB and the firewall? Mine would not fit and I ended up doing something custom that I am not really happy with.

Thanks Will. It's funny because I have been looking into this for the past couple weeks. From what I find, I should be good with my existing Brake pedal. It has 2 holes already in it. The pin is in the lower hole, so my plan was to try and push the pin out and weld it in the upper hole. Yes, the rod off the Booster is a little short, but I have already decided to cut the end off, weld on an extension and thread it to allow for some fine tuning adjustment. As for the grommet, I'm just not there yet. Only mounted the Booster for mock up so far. But it is on the list. What did you do? Any pics?
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 02:44 AM   #72
TurboLS

Ended up being a lot happier with the new coating on the dash than I thought. I think it came out clean and goes well with the rest of the truck.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #73
calvin78612

Nice build thread ! My wife and I were just in Hollister on Tuesday. She was born there and lived there until the age of 15. She spent hours catching up with 3 of her girlfriends. Wish I could have ran into you and we could have talked shop so to speak. I was bored out of my mind, lol. Looked on your bio and saw you are an aircraft mechanic. I am also, I work for Southwest airlines. Anyway, great build keep up the good work.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:43 AM   #74
TurboLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin78612 View Post
Nice build thread ! My wife and I were just in Hollister on Tuesday. She was born there and lived there until the age of 15. She spent hours catching up with 3 of her girlfriends. Wish I could have ran into you and we could have talked shop so to speak. I was bored out of my mind, lol. Looked on your bio and saw you are an aircraft mechanic. I am also, I work for Southwest airlines. Anyway, great build keep up the good work.
Small world! I grew up here. One of the last small towns not infected by Silicon Valley. I work in San Jose but will never move there. Southwest is cool. I have a buddy that works for Virgin. I've never worked Commercial. I've been in Corporate for 12 years. Different worlds, but gotta love Jets either way. Shoot me a PM next time your in town.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:58 AM   #75
TurboLS

So it's taken a while, and mostly because I get great deals from a local shop, but I finally got my 3rd member home! It looks Awesome! Pics don't do it justice.

-Yukon Gear Nodular Dropout with 3.25" bearings ( Powder coated Black)
-6160 Forged Aluminum Pinion Support
-Yukon 3.89 Ring and Pinion
-Detroit Trutrac Locker
-Yukon 1310 Yoke

It's a show piece in itself. Can't wait to get it installed!
Attached Images