The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

More modern engine trans transfer?

I don't know a thing about any of the more modern power plants that can be used for our 4x4's.

Right now mine has a tired 454. I really considered having my 427 rebuilt and installing that, serious fun factor lol. But lately there has been occasion where I would really like to hop in my truck and take a decent road trips (several hundred miles). Not what I had ever intended for it when I purchased it, but for some reason though this darn thing has really bitten me (maybe its the GMC grill lol) and I want make it super reliable and useful.

My no's ... no diesel. no manual trans. Just looking for some ideas that would make it a better all around truck. Go to the dump, hauling, maybe some towing. Or, there is something I just have to have in Southern California ... Road Trip!

Maybe all it would take is rebuild the engine, use one of those fuel injection carbs that seem to be popular, and some sort of overdrive trans.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
ranger danger

Re: More modern engine trans transfer?

Quote:
Maybe all it would take is rebuild the engine, use one of those fuel injection carbs that seem to be popular, and some sort of overdrive trans.
This would get my vote. I got my 69' Suburban for its simplicity. A fuel injection system and a 4L80 trans would make me happy!
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
andrewmp6

I would go ls family truck 5.3 or 6.0 if you can find it,4l60e and for the t case i believe a np208 from a square body truck might bolt on the 4l60e if not you can get a adapter kit im sure.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:16 AM   #4
'63GENIII

Shooting for the same thing here CG. 1997 Vortec 7.4 except for cam, injectors and tune on the ECM. I originally had my wiring harness set up for a L29 / 4L80E combo but somewhere along the way ended up rowing a 5 speed and a divorced 205 behind the 396 before it bit the dust. I'll have to remove all of the auto wiring at some point here. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Disc brakes at the corners are nice but not really necessary.

The best upgrade that I have made to this point has been the spring swap. Makes me want to drive it more often. I think that once the 454 is up and running, AC and power windows are installed, I think it will be hard to get me out of the truck for other than food (and beers! lol), and putting gas in.

All that said, I have been seeing a lot of interest in the FiTech "carb" style fuel injection. There are a couple of threads here somewhere. I may have gone this route had I not had the Vortec sitting under the workbench for the last 5 years. I also like the idea of being able to get most all of my FI related parts like sensors fairly easily. Most of it is stock GM stuff. It should put down 450 hp and over 530+ ft lbs when done. Pretty excited to get it finished.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive read a lot about the Fitech, mostly positive. But picking up factory engine trans transfer assembly seems like a good idea too.

I have no idea what to look for though. Maybe a wrecked late model 4x4 of some sort. My honeys 07 Trailblazer was a really nice driving rig. I used it a few times to pull heavy loads and it did just find even though it was just the 6.

Would something like this combo be able to be transplanted in to our trucks?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I had a thought, for simplicity and economy. I drive a '95 K2500 Suburban with TBI 350. These things can be had for cheap, especially if a cosmetic beater as a donor is what you need. A Vortc would be even nicer. I have a TH400/NP205 combo as well. I could take the TBI 350/4L80E/harness/ECM from the 'Burb and swap that to the NP205 and install in the '72 for a fuel injected O/D, and HD, drivetrain. The TBI has been very reliable in the couple vehicles I've had it in. I'd like to put Vortec heads on and get a Vortec/TBI manifold for about 50 more HP while retaining a simple system. And LS with ECM could always be done at some point, too, f not up front. The 'Burbs with those could be had pretty cheap, too. The thing you need is the RH drop (front driveshaft) transfer case. The NP241 from '89-'91 RV series (square body style) are great, or use a NP208. They have proven themselves worthy after all these years.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote