The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
beaterku

Door locking conundrum

Good morning all,

I have a perplexing problem with my door latches. I am thinking that they are just worn out but I thought I'd ask the question here to see if there was something I am missing.

The problem I am having is the doors will not lock when the are closed. They will lock when open, but not when closed. The latches appear to be original and are a little loosey goosey. I've to the glass out of the doors right now to replace the wing windows so I thought there is no time like to present to fix this issue.

Any ideas?

If they are indeed old and busted, where is the best place to find new latches that are complete junk? I am going to replace the keyed locked mechanism as well since it is pretty loose too.

Thank you everyone!

-Nick

Last edited by beaterku; 08-28-2017 at 10:50 AM.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
bs46488

Re: Door locking conundrum

I have this same problem.

I read somewhere that you can put a little inward pressure on the closed door and it will lock with the key.

You need to replace the door latch on doors because the latch is worn

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
beaterku

That's what I was afraid of. Who sells latches that are worth a poo?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterku View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Who sells latches that are worth a poo?
Good question. I have the same problem and are sure my latches are shot too. All i've found is chinese junk and insanely expensive NOS parts.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
beaterku

I'm torn. I emailed a couple local C10 guys who have tons of parts laying around to see if they have and NOS latches.

What are all of the guys building show trucks using? Rebuilt stock units? Chinesium latches?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

If the latch rod is bent slightly, it could cause that symptom. I had one that would lock from inside (push down on lock knob) but key would not lock from outside. Played with rods to latch mechanism. Between lube a slight adjustment, works perfect now.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
If the latch rod is bent slightly, it could cause that symptom. I had one that would lock from inside (push down on lock knob) but key would not lock from outside. Played with rods to latch mechanism. Between lube a slight adjustment, works perfect now.
Good idea. I'm going to remove them and see if there is something obvious. There has been some squirrelly stuff I found over the years from previous owners. Right now, neither the lock nor the knob will lock it when its latched. It will lock no problem with the lock or knob when open. I'm going to clean it up and lube it and take a look at the rods and see if that will help

Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
beaterku

I did some digging and it looks like the options are counterpart, goodmark, OER and auto metals direct. Im curious as to why the AMD is quite a bit more money.

At any rate, I'm going to see if mine are salvageable. I appreciate the help.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
tlman

driver door only for me is this way and the problem is my body guy put a little too much filler on lower corner and is hitting cab the door has to sit at rest no tension any where so the locks will work check adjustment and door stops (little rubber bumpers ) any thing to prevent door from closing with out tension
tlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
4oldcars

I too had this problem. H-A-D. Patience and careful adjustment of the latch solved the problem. If you can push on the door and it works - - the latch needs adjustment. Just sayin - - - I've been wrong before.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
beaterku

I went down and fiddled with the striker plate and door alignment and was able to get the doors to close much much smoother. I still have to push in slightly on the doors to lock, but that is due to the brand new door seals. I went ahead and order a new lock set for the ignition and doors since my key didn't operate the door lock as well as new repop felt seals for both side. I also found that the driver door relay spring was broken and completely missing. That explains the clanking when I close the door. Figured this was easier now that it's all torn apart.

I appreciate the help all!