The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
hdixon

Wiper motor and pump

Do anyone have a diagram showing how to install a wiper motor with the pump and washer? I need to install a wiper motor and pump.
hdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
MfBox

Re: Wiper motor and pump

Im also looking for a step by step on this if possible.
MfBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't remember seeing a step by step but basically just put the seal up in the cavity on the inside of the firewall, insert the arm through the hole with the pump in the up position and put the 3 special mounting screws in the holes, and screw them in.

The brown connector is for the washer pump & the two Black ones are for the wiper. The notches in the connectors fit over bumps on the terminals so they can't be plugged in wrong. (First picture)

Here is a visual and info on the park markings on the wiper motor and arm.... (Second illustration.)

Edit: Added a picture of the 3 special mounting screws.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-06-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added picture of the special screws for the wiper
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
harpo231

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=185856&page=5
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
MfBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I don't remember seeing a step by step but basically just put the seal up in the cavity on the inside of the firewall, insert the arm through the hole with the pump in the up position and put the 3 special mounting screws in the holes, and screw them in.

The brown connector is for the washer pump & the two Black ones are for the wiper. The notches in the connectors fit over bumps on the terminals so they can't be plugged in wrong. (First picture)

Here is a visual and info on the park markings on the wiper motor and arm.... (Second illustration.)

Edit: Added a picture of the 3 special mounting screws.

LockDoc
Awesome. I think i have everything except the wiring harness. Any idea where to buy just that? I have the motor and wiper arms just nothing to wire or mount.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfBox View Post
Awesome. I think i have everything except the wiring harness. Any idea where to buy just that? I have the motor and wiper arms just nothing to wire or mount.

The wiper harness is part of the under dash wire loom. If it is there your wiper harness is too. Part of the wiper harness is connected to the wiper switch, see if it is plugged in.

Edit: I might as well throw up a couple more pictures. Two of the linkage layout in the parked position and one of the back of the switch.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-06-2017 at 10:35 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I have step by step instructions if needed, but looks like Doc has you covered.

If it's an old pump that works but doesn't flow, run a mix of white vinegar/distilled water, and use a little air (I just used my lungs). Work until it flows correctly. Flush it out with distilled water, then washer fluid and you're good to go. This worked for my pump, which hadn't seen fluid for at least 28 years. I was pleasantly surprised.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
MfBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I have step by step instructions if needed, but looks like Doc has you covered.

If it's an old pump that works but doesn't flow, run a mix of white vinegar/distilled water, and use a little air (I just used my lungs). Work until it flows correctly. Flush it out with distilled water, then washer fluid and you're good to go. This worked for my pump, which hadn't seen fluid for at least 28 years. I was pleasantly surprised.
Cool! My truck has nothing at all installed right now. Motor mounts wipers all of that is off the truck. So i need to start from scratch.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

From 1971 C-10

Untested notes. I haven't reassembled, but these are probably pretty tight. "TS" just means truck side (e.g., right hand truck side). I get carried away with it...........HA!

Wiper Motor Correct positioning of the wiper motor is the ports are on top facing the LH (TS).

The wiper motor mounts using three plain finish 5/16" recessed hex screws with integrated "cup" star washers. The screw threads are #10-24 x 1.

The motor uses pliable rubber along the inner perimeter of the front base of the motor, which acts as mounting pad and sealer. Use Butyl black caulking (never silicone).

Wiper Transmissions Wiper transmission arms description: The LH (TS) wiper arm has a spike on it that faces the front (TS). This arm is stamped with "57". The RH (TS) wiper arm has an arc along the center that faces front (TS). This arm is stamped with "52". The approx. 3" arm on the RH (TS) transmission is stamped with "K". NOTE: The top of the transmissions, and where they mount to the cowl are domed.

Grommet: A dust boot fits on the wiper motor crank shaft between the cowl and the crank arm.

Crank arm: The clevis pin on the end of the crank arm should be positioned at 3-clock (see assembly manual). The crank arm mounts using a 7/16" flange nut. The bottom of the head is serrated. The threads are 1/4-28.

Wiper transmissions arms assembly:
Both arms attach to the clevis pin on the crank. The LH (TS) transmission arm is positioned on top of the RH (TS) transmission arm. A clip retains the transmission arms onto the crank pin. Insert the clip in from the top and lock it into place.

Each transmission mounts to the cab using two 5/16" recessed hex screws with integrated "cup" star washers. The screw threads are #10-24 x 1/2.

Wiper Switch Wiper switch installation: The flat portion of the rod for the knob faces up, slightly cocked to the LH (TS). At least mine was. The switch attaches to the dash panel using a 5/8" nut and star washer.

A chrome bezel screws onto the wiper switch. The knob screws onto the switch's knob with a tiny slot-head screw.

Wiper switch wiring: The following descriptions are from the top down for the switch in a mounted position.

• 18 AWG light blue: Operates the wipers (high/low). This wire runs to the dual pins on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

• 18 AWG dark blue: Operates the washer. This wire runs to the dual pins in the bottom of the motor. NOTE: The bottom is the widest of the two dual connector/pins on the motor.

• 18 AWG black: Ground wire. This wire connects to the single pin on the RH (TS) portion of the motor.

Other wire (power):

• 18 AWG yellow: This wire runs from the fuse box to the connector on the bottom of the motor. A second yellow wire leads from this connector to the dual pin connector on the RH (TS) portion of the motor. NOTE: Yellow was positioned on the bottom of both dual connectors.

NOTE: The wiper switch is a grounding side switch, Meaning it controls the negative side of the circuit rather than positive like most switches. There are no hot wires going to the wiper switch. The only hot wire is the yellow wire from the fuse panel.

Windshield Washer Bottle
& Hoses Hoses grommet: The hoses run through the firewall using a three hole grommet. The largest hole in the grommet indicates the top. The hoses route through the insulation pad pending.

Windshield washer bracket installation: The bracket mounts to the LH (TS) fender using three 3/8" flange tap screws. The screw threads are 1/4" x 1/2".

NOTE: The inside diameter for the hose to the bottle is 7/32". The inside diameter for the hoses from the bottle are 5/32".

See this thread for hose routing: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711813
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote