The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
davepl

What are "Counterpart" parts?

I see a lot of the parts listed in the truckandcarshop.com catalog are are accompanied by a "Produced by Counterpart" logo. Does anyone know if "Counterpart" is any different than you'd find at LMC or Classic Industies?

As a random example, headlight bezels. I'd assumed there was one manufacturer that cranks them out and they get sold through Brothers, LMC, Classic, and everyone else.

I'm curious if "Counterpart" is any better, worse, different, or just the same as what you'd find anywhere else?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Re: What are "Counterpart" parts?

Counterpart is the wholesale side of Car & Truck shop out of orange, CA. They are importers of many truck parts and wholesale to a lot of retailers. Some of their stuff is good and some crap. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
70cst

So I guess when you order parts from them... the term: "Do you feel lucky" applies before you buy the parts

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
GMCPaul

[QUOTE=davepl;5520222]

As a random example, headlight bezels. I'd assumed there was one manufacturer that cranks them out and they get sold through Brothers, LMC, Classic, and everyone else.

QUOTE]

Bad random example there are at least 2 manufacturers of the 67-68 headlight bezels and 3 manufacturers for the 69-72 headlight bezels.
Wes at Classic Heartbeat stated correctly on who Counterparts is and their parts quality does vary from very good to bad.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
70cst

If one buys parts from GMCPaul or Classic Heartbeat (other Board members included) then one will never have to guess if they are getting quality parts. They know our trucks and if the part isn't good enpugh for their trucks, then they are no good enough for us.Enough said

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

All the BB vendors I have met,build trucks.They build with what they have on their shelf.They use the best they can get.So most only stock the highest quality available,though they may get you the cheapie if you insist.Most will let you know their honest opinion of their parts and what problems they have had.The expense of tooling to make the parts and the limited customer base keep most parts down to one or maybe two manufactuerer ,so there isn't much competition.I know the vendors give continuos feedback to improve the quality but it's a slow process.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
leddzepp

I agree with Wes and GMCPaul...but if you live down the street from The Truck Shop you can see the part first hand...and if it's crap, you have them bring out another one or you don't buy it

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
davepl

I understand the value to the board operators if we buy from board vendors, but realistically beyond that I don't see how its any guarantee of better quality.

Certainly its not a far leap to assume that a board vendor is a truck enthusiast, and so would tend to offer the best reproduction parts available, but unless we have board vendors actually -making- parts, why would they be any better than the same part bought from one of the "Big" catalog vendors?

I for one would often pay double for a much better reproduction (and will do so, for example, for my side-trim, which is a case where it's made here in the US by a board vendor). But let's look at seat upholstery... the reproduction I just received from a catalog vendor is ok, but the imprinting isn't as crisp as the original. It's just not as nice. But so far as I know pretty much ALL upholstery is made by the same giant company (American Auto Interior, or something like that) no matter where you buy.

So if Board Vendor X offers seat covers, I don't see why I'd pay more just to support the board. If Board Vendor X makes a better product, sign me up.

I guess that's all a long way of saying that I'm pretty underwhelmed with the quality of reproduction parts in general. But if there are board vendors offering BETTER stuff than what I'm getting at the big catalog stores, I wish there was some way of finding out.

So far other than by reputation (ie: I ask here who makes a good whatever) the only indication I've seen that something is decent is when it carries the "GM Restoration Parts" logo.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Well I have my own line of parts that nobody else would step up to produce. I tell you what I couldn't of done it without the support of the other members of this and our boards. In otherwords if you want quality parts you buy from people who care about quality. The people who supported me here afforded me to produce parts that they couldn't get otherwise. Most catologs put price befor quality, believe me I know. I wholesale to them also and if I have a higher quality part to offer than what they already have they choose cheaper over quality every time. My 71/72 gas filler grommets are bar none the best on the market and they come with a 5 year warrantee. All others on the market crack or fade usualy within 2 or 3 months, but will they purchase mine? None have yet. Only the little guys do, because they actualy care that you get a part that will be the best fit and last the longest. As Paul said there are many manufacturers out there and lots of them are produceing the same parts and all of them have different qualities. We try to pick through all of that and offer the best out there. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
moregrip

great info here, thanks! Any insight on Dynacorp's metal? quality?
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
50bomb

I bought my battery tray off truckshop and they gave me I think $10 discount cause it had a lil scratch hahaha and i think $5 off a mirror cause it also had a scratch I like going there and I only live about 8 miles from there.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Tim Christian

Actually they are three scroll seat covers on the market one that LMC has made overseas one that Truck World makes and one that is made by PUI and they are quality differences. But really on a vendor that builds trucks also or one that really cares what he is selling would know this and yes they are a price difference also.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
Coursey

I was looking at the three spoke comfort grip steering wheels.

Are these ok?
Coursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
Actually they are three scroll seat covers on the market one that LMC has made overseas one that Truck World makes and one that is made by PUI and they are quality differences. But really on a vendor that builds trucks also or one that really cares what he is selling would know this and yes they are a price difference also.
Tim, off topic here, but out of those three listed, which is the best quality seat cover?
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I see a lot of the parts listed in the truckandcarshop.com catalog are are accompanied by a "Produced by Counterpart" logo. Does anyone know if "Counterpart" is any different than you'd find at LMC or Classic Industies?

I'm curious if "Counterpart" is any better, worse, different, or just the same as what you'd find anywhere else?
Counterpart...just another name for more cheap chinese crap.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
OregonNed

Their tail light wiring harnesses are awesome!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Davidf

I recently received spark plug wiring organizers from GMC Paul that were manufactured/distributed by Counterpart. The parts seems fine to me. When I restored my '52 Chevy truck, I installed many parts from Counterpart and can't remember any quality issues. Maybe here and there, but for the most part, I was happy with quality. Nothing stellar and on par with most of the reproduced parts.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
bronze 72 super

Coursey, as far as the three spoke steering wheels go, I own three original G.M. comfort grip steering wheels and every time I see a "reproduction" one to me it's easy to see the difference. The outside diameter is larger, the grain pattern on the rim is not the same, the spokes are close to original. I also own a 1970 El Camino with factory tack and gauges, and I can tell the difference in "reproduction" dash housings every time. This is just my opinion on that subject. This is a good tread on "reproduction" parts. I have bought good and bad. Mike.
bronze 72 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #19
michael bustamante

I work for an aftermarket front end crash parts company and have been in the industry for several years. there are alot of aftermarket manufacturers out there now but 90% of them are taiwan or overseas in general.
when the parts are manufactured the mold for the part is new or slightly used to start with. they will punch out hundreds of parts with that same mold and after awhile the edges get worn, hole patterns shift , etc. so the first hundred or so will be great and the quality just diminishes after awhile till the mold is replaced.
to tell the truth these older chevy truck aftermarket sheetmetal parts are getting rarer to buy over the counter. they just arent manufactured like they used to.
when buying aftermarket sheet metal for your newer veh., look for "CAPA", "NSF" or "ISO9000" certified. These are better materials and made to stricter standards. As for our trucks, , i know classic heartbeat does alot of research on their replacement parts before offering for sale. basically go with who YOU feel you can trust and by reputation for sticking buy their product for our trucks.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #20
Tim Christian

Willie Makeit my onion would be Truck World but they can be slow keeping up with production sometimes.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #21
Ontcalimo

I describe it of "hit and missed quality."
Ontcalimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #22
toolboxchev

Wes, I see!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

All reproduction parts made overseas, no matter who is producing them, are hit or miss on fit and quality. There are only so many choices for a vendor to sell. You just need to know what your vendor is selling and use this site for reviews. No matter who you are loyal to, like or dislike, it's foolish to say everything any one brand sells is crap. Some of the nicest trucks you have looked over have some of that crap on them and you never knew

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #24

Mar-K....trim maker, not overseas, made in Oklahoma City.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

The thing is, Mar-K produces a limited list of parts. Counterpart offers most anything.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote