The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
BLUE THUNDER

4wd rear disc brake conversion

Well, I'm back to begin working on my truck again. I've noticed that I'm not getting as much braking power as I used to. I wand to re-do my brakes and go with rear discs and a 1ton booster and master cylinder/prop valve combo. Who's had the best/economical results????
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
AJs72K5

Re: 4wd rear disc brake conversion

You still running a half ton rear? Keep in mind that doing a disc conversion on the rear necessitates a different approach on a parking / emergency brake.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
BLUE THUNDER

What do I need? I've been looking on the board and haven't really found what I need. You still in town?
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Chulisohombre

Tam has the best version with the enrage problems figured out. Not the cheapest but the most complete. That or you can swap in a newer axle with disks on it already. Then at least if it needs anything it is off the shelf parts at the parts store. Mines a jumble of parts that if something goes wrong might be harder to find a fix for.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
robs71k5
K5drive

Just a comment but I was contemplating the same conversion .I was under the impression the the Olds Tornado rear disc brake had a manual "e"brake cylinder ? Ive been trying to confirm this and also some one else on this board had a kit for the rear brake backing plates as well as all part numbers for the wheel cylinder although I don't think I got those part numbers with the kit I purchased
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
BlazinC5

I once built myself a rear disc brake setup for my blazer when I changed over to 3/4 ton gear, using a dana 60. A 14 bolt would not be much different. The main components for the axle I started with was cutting a new backing plate from some 1/4" plate to replace the drum backing plate and hold my callipers, 3/4 ton discs from a mid 70's truck front end, and I believe 77-78 rear callipers from a cadillac eldorado. There were a bunch of little odds and ends I had to pick up at the parts store as I was figuring it all out, like the wheel studs all had to be changed out to slightly longer ones, and I had to figure out how to tie in the E-brake cables to the lever on the calipers so I had an E-brake. That is BTW, how those calipers are adjusted. The callipers are expencive so to save some cash, try to find some cores at a pick and pull place then replace them at your parts store for a set of remanufactured ones. I would not have a problem about doing another axle like this as I felt it worked out good for me, But if your not very good with designing and cutting metal from scratch, I would go with a premade kit. Brakes ain't something you hope will work.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Chulisohombre

My post above should say t s m manufacturing. For some reason it won't let me edit. Ruffstuff manufacturing makes brackets for 1 ton rears. Not sure if they make 1/2 ton stuff yet. I've sean a few different ones. A search on yahoo turned up a few different ones. Jc Whitney used to make a kit too.

Last edited by Chulisohombre; 11-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
paul mora

If you are running a half ton set up I am selling a complete set with parking brake I will give you a great deal. I need to get some cash together. I think I have a 3/4 ton booster master cylinder and valve
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
robs71k5
K5drive

Has anyone confirmed the year of tornado the wheels cylinders are from with the mechanical e brake ?
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Chulisohombre

With disk brakes you don't have wheel cylinders. Only calipers and a actuator lever.