The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
greasemonkey

Gibson exhaust

Does anybody have experience with Gibson exhaust? My Silverado is standard cab longbed with the 4.3 V6, so my options are somewhat limited. I am looking for a good quality exhaust, and something that will sound good with the 4.3. All the sound clips I have heard are with the 4.8 or 5.3, how would the V6 tone compare?
Thanks for any feedback,
John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
JDYUSA

Re: Gibson exhaust

I can speak to the quality of Gibson but not how it might sound on a V6. Otherwise I have 50K miles on a dual sport andd it is outstanding. Not to loud, although you can get a "more aggressive" sound type, but this one is superb. At 85- 90 MPH it really purrrrrrsss.

Quality, fit & finsh... superb.

Good luck, JDY
Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
greasemonkey

Thanks for the reply JDY, you helped a lot. I was debating the super truck system, but that would be too loud in the cab; I think I will get the extreme dual system that exits behind the rear tires.
Thanks again for the reply,
John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
JDYUSA

Hey G-Monkey,

Glad to help... Here is another pic of how the tips look when installed. I notice other trucks that come along side that first pull up, then drop back to take another gander at the pipes, they look cool and are very durable being stainless.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Werewolf
Woof?

Everybody has their own tastes in stuff like exhaust notes, so I'm not at all trying to downplay any Gibson owner's claims.

I had a Gibson dual out the rear aluminized exhaust on my 2002 Silverado. This was probably their cheapest exhaust, maybe you get what you pay for. I didn't get chromed tips, just 2.5 pipes out. But I expected that, so that's not my beef.

I had a set of 3.5" tips welded on, partially because I had always intended to; love that look. Partially because the exhaust seemed too quiet to me. After the installation of the tips, I experienced such a drone at highway speeds that it rivalled the bass out of my stereo regardless of volume. Some people may like that, and that's all cool. But, I prefer the sound of my Hooker Aerochamber muffler. About as loud as a Flowmaster, but well enough mannered at speed so it's not intrusive in the cab. And you can actually hear the individual cylinders, making the V8 actually sound like a V8. Something about the Gen. III engines, probably firing order, that makes them just *not* sound as good as the old 350's usually.

I had a Flowmaster custom setup on an S-10 I used to own. I'll give the 4.3 this much; it really does sound like a V8 at idle, and is hard to pick out until the RPMs ramp up. The Flowmaster had a nice little gargle to it when you let off the gas, and sounded good just about any other time. My guess with the Gibson is a lot of the throaty tones and cylinder separation that the Flowmaster gave my 4.3 would be removed, making it sound like, well, a V6 with a louder exhaust. I'd say try a Flowmaster. They're not the *best* for actual power creation, but from my experience, I'd go with a Flowmaster over a Gibson. The Hooker is my top choice right now, I'm really a fan of that muffler. My $.02; good luck with whatever you choose.
1997 Astro
1992 Caprice wagon, 500k stock miles. Nursing wounds after a bad wreck.
1997 Saturn - need gas mileage from something!
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There was a local kid that had a flowmaster installed on his 92 with the V-6 and then he had a dual rear exhaust outlets, single inlet/dual outlet muffler. The thing sounded fairly decent for the "sixer". I woouldn't mind having that setup, If I owned a 4.3....
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote