The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Mr Handy

70 longbed build update.

Like a lot of members I have been working on my truck for a few years doing what I can afford and keeping it on the road and enjoying it.

This year I decided it was time to tackle rust repair on the cab and ended up pulling the cab on memorial day weekend.

I hope to have everything back together and up and running by the end of Memorial day weekend.
So far the cab has had the rust repaired, paint stripped (had between 3 and 5 different paint jobs on it depending on where you looked) Epoxy primer, body work, and Single stage paint, I am currently working on wet sand and buff. I'm very happy with how things are looking considering this is my first go at major repair and a full paint job.

an upgrade that I have that I absolutely cannot wait for is the Vintage air system I have waiting to put in. I also have a new wiring harness, dash pad, arm rests, and most of all, all new weatherstripping!

I also decided to go with Lizard skin for sound deadening and insulation and sprayed the inset in the roof with the stuff. I think it turned out really good, and if it does what it is supposed to it should make a big difference in the Florida heat. of coarse the floors are coated inside and out so I hopefully will be keeping all the engine and road noise and heat out of the cab as well.

enough chit chat, here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Mr Handy

Re: 70 longbed build update.

a few more
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Mr Handy

and a few more still
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looks great

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Nice! I think you will love the Lizard Skin. I put the heat and sound versions in my last
K20, it worked great. Heat was barreling up from the floor and firewall. Rolled down the Lizard Skin, put down a new full rubber mat. Much quieter and cooler.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Mr Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Nice! I think you will love the Lizard Skin. I put the heat and sound versions in my last
K20, it worked great. Heat was barreling up from the floor and firewall. Rolled down the Lizard Skin, put down a new full rubber mat. Much quieter and cooler.
From everything I have read it seemed like the right way to go. I did both the sound control and the insulation. two coats of sound control inside the cab from the dash all the way up the back wall and on the roof. I did one of insulation on the inside firewall and floor and two coats on the roof and I also did one coat of insulation on the outside of the lower firewall and the floor. Then painted everything.

I can't wait to hear and feel the difference. I used two gallons of each. I still have some sound control for inside the doors, but could have used another gallon of insulation if I wanted to do the back wall and inside doors, I was less concerned with the doors other then to sound deaden.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

The stuff is expensive but I like this better than the matt stuff people put down. Personal preference though because I'm sure it scares people off that think they may need to peel it up some day for some reason.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
72 tigger

Looks really good! I can appreciate all the time/effort the rust repair took- nice work
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
bill3rail

Beautiful Job!

Enjoy and keep the pictures coming.

Bill
Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
bruceman1968

Wow! Mr. Handy, That looks awesome! You really did a great job on the cab. Paint looks just awesome. Your going to have a show stopper when you get it done. Can't wait to see it. Nice work, really nice!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
718jwh

Mr Handy I like the spray booth I need to make one for my garage, how did you make it ?
John
718jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
Mr Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718jwh View Post
Mr Handy I like the spray booth I need to make one for my garage, how did you make it ?
John
I just bought a bunch of 1" PVC pipe, elbows, and tee's. I believe the four sides are about 7' tall and 10' long. Roof is 10'x10'. Once the walls were cut and glued up ( I strongly recommend gluing with PVC cement) I wrapped them in plastic and zip tied the plastic in place about every 18".
Finally I zip tied all the walls and roof together. The wall at the front I only zip tied on one side and a loose tie in the middle top so I could squeeze in and out at the corner. 2 filters at one end zip tied in place to the frame and plastic and then x cut to open. For the two box fans at the other end I cut the plastic to make an opening a little smaller than the fans, then I just put the filters in front of the fans with the plastic in between and they suck together and seal up good enough for me.
Just a quick and dirty spray booth and did a decent job. My floor was already in rough shape so I did not worry about covering it. I just mopped it out before I started spraying so it was dust free and a little damp.