The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Last painting for the year.

I tried and just love Eastwood Chassis Primer and Extreme Chassis paint. I followed the directions to a "T" yesterday and the results are so good I want to use it on everything going forward (that needs to be satin black anyway).

Definitely need a blasting cabinet as these were all blasted (thank you Jeff's Bowties) and it seems to have really made an adhesion difference. No more electrolysis for me!

But that ends any truck painting for the year.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 10-09-2017 at 02:09 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Last painting for the year.

Sandblasted surely is an excellent aid to adhesion, besides getting all rust out of nooks and crannies. Eastwood offers great stuff. They are a quality restoration supplier from a good way back. But, if it has Eastwood on the label, you can be sure to find the same product for much cheaper from the company that made the product, since Eastwood isn't a chemical company.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
midniteblues

A few months ago I started working for the company that blasted the frame on my 67.
They only did the frame and heavy suspension parts and the bed cross sills.
Everything else including the cab I did at home in my little cabinet and my hf pot.

It certainly is the way to go cause your starting over with fresh metal.
If I could recoup the time I spent with my small setups I would be weeks ahead. But the cash I have into all my equip. Is about what the frame and peices cost to have done.

That was a lot of painting too
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Oh yes, I should have found someone to sand blast my parts for me, the electrolysis was effective and fun to do, giving me pride and experience in being self-sufficient, but it doesn't rough up the surface so I have had minor bumps cause the paint to flake off.

I could have had the local tech college use their blasting cabinet to do all the brackets......but I really wanted to explore electrolysis. Now their cabinet is toast (I saw it last week, it's been abused severely) so I will just have to clean up the garage and make room for a cabinet next summer.

But this did turn out great, these 7 parts.....I am still amazed.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Sandblasting parts can be an addiction. I have a guy do my big stuff because his price is right and sandblasting is a nasty thing. Take a 45 year old wheel and make it look brand new with ease
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote