The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
BBelenger

1987 C30 dump truck pricing/starter question

1st post for me on this site, thank you in advance for any feedback that I receive, I appreciate it.
I have a C30 dump (mileage 65,000) with a 454 engine that has been sitting for 2 years, I am looking get it running again for my use or to sell it. I used it for plowing my dirt road. It need a starter for one, I put a starter in 2 years ago and it didn't last more than a month, I am thinking of putting in a high torque starter, looking for advise on the starter issue.
I am also looking to see what the value of the truck, can anyone point me in the right direction to locate the value of the truck.
Thank you
BBelenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
slotard

Re: 1987 C30 dump truck pricing/starter question

Value depends a lot on condition. How much rust is there? How's the body in general (dents/paint)? What tranny? And of course if it doesn't run, even if it's something minor, that probably cuts the value in half (at best).
Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Oberon67

Re: 1987 C30 dump truck pricing/starter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelenger View Post
It need a starter for one, I put a starter in 2 years ago and it didn't last more than a month, I am thinking of putting in a high torque starter, looking for advise on the starter issue.
I had a truck that began to eat starters. Strangely, I was seeing rust on the gear-end of the starter motor. It was also using coolant, but only slowly. It took me a long time to put two and two together.

It turns out that a freeze plug (really a casting core plug) had rusted enough to get a hole in it. Naturally it was the one behind the flywheel, which allowed coolant to run right down into the starter nose.
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote