The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
basher13

76 swb

Almost 10 years ago I layed eyes on this truck sitting in a coworkers dad's garage. I bugged him off and on about selling it, seems like every time I was in between projects I'd mention it and he'd laugh and say "not yet". I switched companies for 4-5 years and am now back working with him. Of course I bring up the truck again and instead of saying the typical reaponse he tells me his dad wants it out....yahtzee!
After a bit of back and forth on the price we had an agreement and I was loading it up to bring it home.

The story I had always heard was that his uncle had built a pretty healthy 400 and after driving it for a summer he started in on the bodywork. The cab and front clip are from an 86 that was a state vehicle on the dry side of the mountains, zero rust. Which is good because I don't like dealing with rust.
I've had it for just over a week and have been working on getting it back up and running. Fresh gas, different carb, new fuel filter and a battery and I've got it up and going, sounds pretty good too.

The plan? Well today's plan is to get it in one color and closer to the ground. I'm looking at the available kits for something like a 5/7. I'll run the SS wheels until I decide which direction I really want to go...18's or steelies with poverty caps is what I like.
Attached Images

basher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
basher13

Re: 76 swb

The rear bumper...not sure what it's off of. I believe the po had mentioned a Ford station wagon, beside being crooked it doesn't look half bad.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
basher13

Interior is clean and super basic. I'll hide the stereo and maybe add a tilt column, nothing fancy.
Attached Images

Last edited by basher13; 07-02-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
basher13

Aaaand the grill. Supposedly it's off of a van. I'm not in love with it but it'll stay until I get other things knocked off the list. I'd like to go back to the 76 style but am not sure what all that takes to do.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
daddyjeep

Looks like a nice solid truck to start with. I agree...the grill looks good on there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
cooperhw

Score. I love the start of a new build. Almost like first dating. Full of promise. I'm doing a 78 myself slammed.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
HunterRotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher13 View Post
Aaaand the grill. Supposedly it's off of a van. I'm not in love with it but it'll stay until I get other things knocked off the list. I'd like to go back to the 76 style but am not sure what all that takes to do.
You'll need a whole front end, looks like the only part that could be '76 left on that truck is the cab. Goodluck! That seat looks really nice.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
basher13

Looking through the suspension posts and reading the "make it handle" thread, I'm not finding what I need. If I'm doing a 4.5/6 drop with spindles and springs with a flip kit in the rear can I use shock extenders and keep my original shocks?

It would only be until I save more "mama don't know money" for good quality shocks. I'd like to take advantage of the Independence Day sale through POL but need to keep the truck a driver.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
basher13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRotten View Post
You'll need a whole front end, looks like the only part that could be '76 left on that truck is the cab. Goodluck! That seat looks really nice.
I think all of the sheet metal has been swapped for other years. The po didn't want to deal with rust which is ok with me, Hodgepodge C10!