The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
ANDREW

My 83 Build

Hello not new to the form but First real post! My dad got this truck from our next Door neighbor around 10 years ago....for $2000 i have been raised along this truck growing up i use to help my dad in this truck doing small electrical jobs and iv always wanted it as my first driver..so i talked to him and he said its yours... so as i got older 16 now i did a few mods on it chrome valve covers,air cleaner,True dual flowmaster 40's and just recently put on a set of summit headers... stripped them down and gave them a nice coat of header paint i just put on a 800cfm qjet carb from my uncles old 70's nova i also did a drop on it and here comes the sad part ..... i did not have much knowledge with drops and i wanted to start out with a 2/4 .. So i ordered some drop springs and a shackle and hanger kit .. took it to this guy and found out the hanger kit was the wrong one so he said it would look better going with more of i drop i went home and googled some pics ..im very glad i did i loved the way it looked so i told him i will go with w 3/5 so i ordered a flip kit for the rear and he said he could cut one coil and it wont hurt any think took it to the shop with all the parts ... 1 day later and a empty tank of gas he said "its Done" so my dad drove it home..... the rear end snaped driveshaft hit the top of the bed and the front springs poped out of place along with us almost getting it to a bad accident.. took it back with a few nice words %$#@& and he didnt torque the u-bolts... so he fixed everything .. and it was good till the rear end did the same thing a month later... so got brand new u-bolds and got to work my self.. the front springs are still messed up and i am looking it to getting drop spindles we finally fixed the back and everything is good now except the front springs...so should get the drop spindles and fix everything with the drop next will be the breaks... the peddle hits the floor and i have completly no breaks at all so i need a new master cylinder i believe after that will be the body work and paint and the interior needs to completly be redone but im 16 and dont got a lot of cash so things will happen slowly... well after the long story here are some old pics for u guys ( did i mention it only has 86,000 miles on the org. motor...)

The Interior (Yes Looks Like Crap!)

Ill post some new pics of the motor with the headers later one ... well tell me what u guys think ....!!!
ANDREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: My 83 Build

Welcome!!

Looks like you have a good start, I like the hub caps looks cool like that.

Keep us posted..

Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
ANDREW

Here is a little video for you

Last edited by ANDREW; 10-20-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
ANDREW

Well my breaks were shot so i went to the parts store got a new master cylinder on go to bleed the breaks and ajust the rear drums and everything should be good going to start to work on the body work and get it painted .... things will happen slowly or as fast as i make some money ....

Last edited by ANDREW; 10-27-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
ANDREW

Will get some more pics of the truck tomm... and the engine... took out the whole interior and the carpet ... was going to put in buckets but i think if i just get my seat redone it will be quicker and i can seat 3 ... so looking to get this down the line .... New carpet new seat belts seat redone new dash pad .. change out the steering wheel wrap my door panels and kick panels and a new cd player and sound system.. but im going to finish all of the body work first and then move on to this stuff...

Last edited by ANDREW; 10-27-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
ANDREW

well my front drop is all messed up took it to a guy he cut some drop springs and now they shake around when i hit a big bump so lookin to get some drop spindles and a new set of shocks got the breaks all done next is the drop and then off to body work and paint
Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Sweet! That's good that your getting all the right stuff to do it right. Keep us posted..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
JohnC

Looks like a great starting point like tvblazer stated. No problems with taking it slow, and learning a lot along the way. This place is great for asking questions, and getting help with things. Keep us posted.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote