The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Sharptrans

Muscle car GT hood for a 68 C10 issue

Hi,
I recently purchased a new hood from a vendor for my 68 C10. It came in a MuscleCar GT box and after test fitting I noticed that the hood kinks near the hinge area. The hinges are not binding and there is no unusual amount of effort required to open or close it, but this is causing a dent at both sides where the hinges are. Anybody have this issue with this brand? The sheet metal seems too thin compared to the oe hood and I don't want to diss the vendor but I don't feel the quality of the part is very good. I have used the apex and triplus stuff with good results but have never seen this brand. What do you think the vendor should do?
Sharptrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Muscle car GT hood for a 68 C10 issue

These hoods have never been known to kink from hinges like the '73-ups. If yours is kinked then it was made wrong and/or damaged. Could be a return. Probably too thin and no welded right or have the correct support design.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
3drburb

You should return if you can and get another brand. I don't think it will be dissing anyone, at least I would hope not.
If they are just selling a product from a supplier this should be great feedback for them and if they are the makers of the hood then they will know it still needs more work to make a good quality product.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
hugger6933

I do know that lots of people have had problems with the 67-68 hoods. It has been well documented on this board, but I am an old timer here and lurked long before joining so I've been around here over ten years or more. I have even read on here that some if not most vendors know of the poor fit and some won't stock or sell them. I think it is the hoods in general not just the Musclecar GT guys.
I did have a par of doors sent to me on a restomod I was building for a customer and what came to me from that maker was doors. They looked great but were too tall I mean I couldn't even get the door to go in the opening, and the vent window wouldn't fit either. I sent them emails and they said that door fit many truck and has to be wrong problem with my truck[great language skills I know]. I ended up drilling out the welds that held on the hoop of the door the top part that the glasses set in and dropped them down almost two inches. I have 30 some years of wreck building so problem solving and parts fitment is one thing I got pretty much covered. They fit great now and I wouldn't be scared of them again knowing how to solve that problem but on your hood I just don't know what to tell you.
I know finding nice oe steel is getting harder by the day.
good luck and happy sanding
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Sharptrans

Thanks or the input guys, The manufacturer is saying they never have any problems and that it must be my hood hinges but once again there is no real effort to open or close the hood that would result in the hood kinking at the hinge area. Any recommendations for another brand that does fit? Finding oe metal is almost impossible in NY. And as I mentioned, I have used aftermarket metal many times and have had to spend hours massaging the part but this kinking thing is a real problem. It fits in the opening well but the sheet metal seems flappy/thin and it looks like the welds at the hinge area were not hot enough to penetrate allowing the sheet metal to bear the burden instead of the under hood frame/structure.
Sharptrans is offline   Reply With Quote