The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #1
KyleSeal

Door Keeps Getting Stuck Shut - Help?

So Im getting to the final fitting of the door and fenders and all and I have put my door latch in so that I may better adjust and understand how its going to go together,
Yet I run into the issue where my door will go onto the latch and get stuck in there. I push on the handle and it wont budge.
I end up having to grab the bottom of the door and pulling it outward while pressing the door handle and lifting up slightly. Then it violently releases.
I believe its an issue somewhere in my latch assembly, I have three of the flat stock style 'waffle' washers on the top and bottom, as I had seen others use.
Do I need to dig through my stuff and find more? Less?
Does it need to be even top to bottom with the washers or can I angle this thing?
No door seals at all, so thats not an issue.
All help and advice is greatly appreciate, Im more in tune for the Squarebody style door latches.

Thanks!

1970 C10 btw, if it actually matters.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:59 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Door Keeps Getting Stuck Shut - Help?

Need to try and spray some dry lube on the striker to get an idea where the latch on the door is making contact. The dry lube is simply a marking compound at this point and might help with the reopening of the door. I would guess you need to remove shims to center the striker on the door latch. Once you've fitted the door in the opening, how the door closes and latches is in adjusting the striker...Hope this helps
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #3
KyleSeal

Do you suppose the striker may be 'bottoming out' on the latch, causing too much surface to surface contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Need to try and spray some dry lube on the striker to get an idea where the latch on the door is making contact. The dry lube is simply a marking compound at this point and might help with the reopening of the door. I would guess you need to remove shims to center the striker on the door latch. Once you've fitted the door in the opening, how the door closes and latches is in adjusting the striker...Hope this helps

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
beadblaster

I had the same problem except I could not get mine to release. I had to lay on my back in the interior and give the door numerous kicks to open it. The problem is when you do not have the door seals on the door latch over rotates on the striker plate and gets jammed. I just put a 3ft section of the old door seal on the edge where the striker plate is. No more stuck door.
beadblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
Do you suppose the striker may be 'bottoming out' on the latch, causing too much surface to surface contact?
Yes...The latch in the door should clear the striker vertically and the latch opening (the star wheel) should center up on the contact edge of the striker yet still allowing clearance for the outer edge of the latch to clear the pillar. You may have the door adjusted to close to the pillar. The pillar is the metal the striker is bolted to...Hope this helps...In other words, as long as the door latch clears the pillar when shut, you should be able to adjust the striker to match the door latch. Up, Down, In, and out is done with just loosening the four bolts. For and Aft or Left and Right as your looking at the striker, is done with adding or subtracting shims...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
notsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadblaster View Post
I had the same problem except I could not get mine to release. I had to lay on my back in the interior and give the door numerous kicks to open it. The problem is when you do not have the door seals on the door latch over rotates on the striker plate and gets jammed. I just put a 3ft section of the old door seal on the edge where the striker plate is. No more stuck door.
X2.... I also think no door molding will create the problem you described.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote