The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Dizzy 1

1962 k20

Anyone with tips on how to make a t221 to a rh drop divorced np 205 a smooth and well functioning swap would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dizzy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: 1962 k20

Just a few pics for you. Sorry for the lack of a build thread on this but I made a few mistakes, a bunch of fixes that were too embarrassing to share on this great forum. FWIW, it works great now even with all of the trial and error to get to this point.

I pulled my 221 when it started getting a little loud. At the time, I didn't have a lot of time to source rebuild parts for it and I needed the truck back in service for some towing. Enter the Dodge 205.

If I could do it again and had more time, I would have tried to snag the crossmember for the 205 I got. Couldn't find one when I needed it (Murphys Law) so I went with Plan B.

I noticed that the stock crossmember for the 221 was roughly (I say that loosely) the right contour to match the 205s top hung mounting bosses.

With careful measuring I was able to install the 205 off center to the passenger side by nearly 3/4" which resulted in a nasty vibration that would come and go at will. It wouldn't ever survive like this without some sort of catastrophic failure that might have ended with a 14" driveshaft riding shotgun. Sketchy driveshafts are not something to be messed with as they will come undone at a moments notice and they have no sense of humor.

I didn't drive it much again until I did the spring swap at which time I wanted to correct the misalignment in the t case. I ended up slotting the original 1-3/8 holed in the crossmember which allowed it to be moved to the drivers side. I also welded and adjusting bolt into the crossmember to lock it into place. It is now within 3/16 - 1/4" of center and perpendicular to the frame.(which it wasnt before).

1st pic is 205 in 1st and wrong location
2nd is the driveshaft with the 221 and NV4500 combo (pre 205) - Note, I think Tim was right. The tube is like 3" long.
3rd is 205 in right location with adjusting / locking bolt in place
4th and 5th pics are of the mounting studs and rod coupling spacers

If you need any more pics or info just ask. It wasnt an easy swap but for me its been worthwhile. The 205 is just way quieter, runs cooler and I don't feel like Im abusing it during driving / towing like I did the 221.
Attached Images

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Nam, who could ask for better help than from the guy who did all the trial and error as well as pain and suffering I'm sure. He stuck it out, got it right, and now you have his text book on it. I wouldn't be embarrassed for stepping into the unknown and find my way to the side of success. When I went back to the machine shop their comment was "It's those big tires". My comment was, "There are no tires under my ass!" and went to Dodge to order the assembly...yoke/shaft/u-joints. Don't you wish that was still possible?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
dieseldude4bt

If you locate a np205 from a 1971ish international you could use the crossmember and all in place of the t221 and it's crossmember.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
Dizzy 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Just a few pics for you. Sorry for the lack of a build thread on this but I made a few mistakes, a bunch of fixes that were too embarrassing to share on this great forum. FWIW, it works great now even with all of the trial and error to get to this point.

I pulled my 221 when it started getting a little loud. At the time, I didn't have a lot of time to source rebuild parts for it and I needed the truck back in service for some towing. Enter the Dodge 205.

If I could do it again and had more time, I would have tried to snag the crossmember for the 205 I got. Couldn't find one when I needed it (Murphys Law) so I went with Plan B.

I noticed that the stock crossmember for the 221 was roughly (I say that loosely) the right contour to match the 205s top hung mounting bosses.

With careful measuring I was able to install the 205 off center to the passenger side by nearly 3/4" which resulted in a nasty vibration that would come and go at will. It wouldn't ever survive like this without some sort of catastrophic failure that might have ended with a 14" driveshaft riding shotgun. Sketchy driveshafts are not something to be messed with as they will come undone at a moments notice and they have no sense of humor.

I didn't drive it much again until I did the spring swap at which time I wanted to correct the misalignment in the t case. I ended up slotting the original 1-3/8 holed in the crossmember which allowed it to be moved to the drivers side. I also welded and adjusting bolt into the crossmember to lock it into place. It is now within 3/16 - 1/4" of center and perpendicular to the frame.(which it wasnt before).

1st pic is 205 in 1st and wrong location
2nd is the driveshaft with the 221 and NV4500 combo (pre 205) - Note, I think Tim was right. The tube is like 3" long.
3rd is 205 in right location with adjusting / locking bolt in place
4th and 5th pics are of the mounting studs and rod coupling spacers

If you need any more pics or info just ask. It wasnt an easy swap but for me its been worthwhile. The 205 is just way quieter, runs cooler and I don't feel like Im abusing it during driving / towing like I did the 221.
Thx for all your help GENIII. I actually bought an entire 74 dodge w200 just for the tc. For $700 I couldn't pass it up. After reading your reply I'm hoping I can make use of the cross member and perhaps the drivelines as well the newer style Dana 44 and Dana 60 sometime down the road. I will definitely be picking your brain at times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #6
Dizzy 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
If you locate a np205 from a 1971ish international you could use the crossmember and all in place of the t221 and it's crossmember.
How bout a 74 dodge cross member and 205?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Nam, who could ask for better help than from the guy who did all the trial and error as well as pain and suffering I'm sure. He stuck it out, got it right, and now you have his text book on it. I wouldn't be embarrassed for stepping into the unknown and find my way to the side of success. When I went back to the machine shop their comment was "It's those big tires". My comment was, "There are no tires under my ass!" and went to Dodge to order the assembly...yoke/shaft/u-joints. Don't you wish that was still possible?
Thanks for the kind words Tim. Wish I had documented it better but at the same time, there were too many times that I was using words and phrases that shouldn't be documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy 1 View Post
Thx for all your help GENIII. I actually bought an entire 74 dodge w200 just for the tc. For $700 I couldn't pass it up. After reading your reply I'm hoping I can make use of the cross member and perhaps the drivelines as well the newer style Dana 44 and Dana 60 sometime down the road. I will definitely be picking your brain at times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolute score! You've hit pay dirt!. All of the driveshaft yokes and joints have been figured out. IIRC, the T case is a 32 spline input = good. The rear Dana may have the Bud hubs which may have a little different center hole diameter than your wheels but thats a small detail. You should be able to snag the stock shift linkage too. Get that thing stripped and maybe sell the extra parts to a Dodge person to help finance it. That's awesome! Pick my brain any time or better yet, start a build thread on the install. Good stuff. Happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy 1 View Post
How bout a 74 dodge cross member and 205?
Posted via Mobile Device
The shape of the x member is probably most critical. The width can be altered and modified. You should be able to order parts like bushings easily. I would definitely use the crossmember out of the Dodge.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Brad54

63GenIII: When you mounted the T-case the first time, was the whole unit physically offset to one side, or was it cocked between the frame rails, so the yokes didn't come out square to everything?

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
63GenIII: When you mounted the T-case the first time, was the whole unit physically offset to one side, or was it cocked between the frame rails, so the yokes didn't come out square to everything?

-Brad
Brad, It was both cocked ( not square) and off center to the passenger side. ...

That was a bad day

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles