The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Rick Y

Door lock cylinder question

Hey everyone!

I just bought my dream truck this weekend (it's a 69 Chevy c10). ...I'm really happy with it, but on day two, while I was still getting used to the manual locks, I turned the cylinder on the passenger side door the wrong way and I messed it up (real great feeling). Now the cylinder has turned about a quarter of the way it should be (counter clockwise) and I can only lock it from the outside and can't unlock it. Plus to lock it it turns really hard and I'm worried I'm going to break the key off.

I haven't really had a lot of time to look at it yet because it was late and I work today. ...gonna take a look again tonight but I'm just wondering if this is something that should be an easy fix or if I really screwed something up.

Thank you in advance!
Rick Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
rpmerf

Re: Door lock cylinder question

Could be the latching mechanism. On my passenger's side door, I need to push it in a bit to get it to lock / unlock.

It's all super easy to get to. Pop off the widow crank and lock handle. 2 screws in the arm rest. 4 screws at the bottom. Door card comes off. The latch and linkages are all right there.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Do a search for fastest response (search box above and click the 67-72 ) or PM Lockdoc. Lots of threads on lock issues and rebuilding them around these parts.
Welcome Aboard. And let me be the first to inform you folks around here live for pictures.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Y View Post
Hey everyone!

I just bought my dream truck this weekend (it's a 69 Chevy c10). ...I'm really happy with it, but on day two, while I was still getting used to the manual locks, I turned the cylinder on the passenger side door the wrong way and I messed it up (real great feeling). Now the cylinder has turned about a quarter of the way it should be (counter clockwise) and I can only lock it from the outside and can't unlock it. Plus to lock it it turns really hard and I'm worried I'm going to break the key off.

I haven't really had a lot of time to look at it yet because it was late and I work today. ...gonna take a look again tonight but I'm just wondering if this is something that should be an easy fix or if I really screwed something up.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the board!

There are 4 notches in the door skin and 4 locating tabs on the lock cylinder. I would say that the spring clip that holds the cylinder in the door has slipped or is weak and let the cylinder tabs turn past the notches in the door skin. You will have to remove the cylinder and check the notches and tabs to see what is going on for sure. You may be able to take a hammer and dolly and flatten out the notches in the door skin, put more arch in the spring clip, lube the lock cylinder & door latch/locking mechanism, put it all back together and have it work for another 50 years.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote