The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
damnyankee36

A Durable Clear over Spray Paint

I ran out of Fawn lacquer paint for my interior so I am considering painting my steering column and steering wheel with Krylon spray paint. It won't be tough as the lacquer but I think it will be OK for the column.

My concern is the wheel. It should be a tough, glossy finish. (I assume they were originally gloss). The Krylon is satin. Would a urethane clear be too hot to shoot over the Krylon? I imagine Krylon is an enamel.

Any other thoughts to get a durable, glossy finish? I really don't want to spend another $110/qt for the lacquer to get the same match.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: A Durable Clear over Spray Paint

You could get a custom Spray Max aerosol made that has a catalyst inside the can that you break when you are ready to paint. It has a short pot life, but the store can load a single stage urethane that will be highly durable and shiny too.
Please don't confuse my reccomendation with a regular aerosol can of paint or clear coat. I am being specific that Spray Max makes a can that a jobber store can load your color of paint into, that has the activator alreay built into it.

And yes, urethane clear will be too hot for the Krylon....but, you can buy Krylon clear coat that would be easy to touch up if you wanted to.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
damnyankee36

Interesting. Never heard of that. I'll see what is available in town.

Thanks!
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
72HuggerK20

I have had luck shooting urethane clear over John Deere Blitz Black paint on small parts. I know it's completely off label, but I decided to try it just because I had it on hand and I had parts that I wanted to be gloss black. Anyway, I gave it a 15-20 minute flash time (it dries very fast), and then put 2 coats of clear over it. It didn't lift for me and has held up so far. I won't say it's right, but it does work and is a cheapish option.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote