The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
Rufas

Re: Adding Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoldtruck View Post
For those who have done the conversion. Are you happy with the cooling ability of the unit. Im thinking of doing a system for my every day driver, but i want it to work great.
I have Vintage Air in my 67 Cutlass. Works ok. Slightly better than the factory air, which was horrible.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #27
Bird dog

Quote:
For those who have done the conversion. Are you happy with the cooling ability of the unit. Im thinking of doing a system for my every day driver, but i want it to work great.
I also installed VA in my '67 Camaro. It keeps it cool, but not cold. Worth the expense, but dont compare it to a modern car ac.

I also watched the other day as a VA kit was pressurized and started up for the first time in a '62 Impala, the temp gun was showing that the air coming out of the vents was 37 degrees. Way colder than anyone expected.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #28
old51sedan

For those of you installing VA can you use your factory radio and speaker? I know the glove compartment will be smaller, but that's fine. I'm close to ordering it, we just have to figure out the compressor bracket for the 6 cylinder. Thanks for all your help.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #29
darrellyates

Quote:
I've had 2 different trucks with vintage air. Both ran LS engines. On the first one, I was stubborn and used the GM factory compressor. It worked fine, but the a/c wasn't the coldest.

On my latest install, the guys at V/A told me it was because the GM compressor doesn't build the same pressure as their compressor. I was skeptical, because it means not only the cost of the compressor, but modifying the serpentine belt system and having to figure out a longer belt. However, I took their advice.

On the new truck, the a/c is cold. I seldom turn the fan higher than the lowest position. I drove to the car show in Hendersonville in July. It was 95 degrees F. The a/c was very cold. Put a thermometer in the drivers side vent, it showed 45 degrees. The passenger side and center vent (closer to the unit) show 42. Considering it was over 90 outside, yes, I'm happy with that. (That was while driving with the wife down Vietnam Veterans Parkway...)

Overall, I would say I'm very happy with the performance so far.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #30
old51sedan

OK guys, this is what I've found out. Vintage Air has the bracket for my 6 cyc. but they want an extra 150.00 for it. Their kit is 1335.00 + 150.00, and has free shipping. Problem is they have to build it which takes 7-10 days. Old air products has the Hurrican system, they have the correct bracket also in stock. Their system is 1400.00 no matter which bracket I use. They charge 75.00 shipping, but have the system all built and can ship the next day.
What it boils down to is my truck is in the paint shop now, there's 10.00 difference in the price. Old air has been around for quite a while, has anyone heard any comments on them? The kits seem to have the same components, I'm thinking of going with Old Air just so Ill have it in a few days. What to do!!!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #31
Bird dog

No experience with anyone but vintage air. It may be a regional thing, but all the hot rods/ classic cars in my area have Vintage Air in them. Have installed two of their kits, and didn't have any install problems and have been happy with the results.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #32
Hidesertchevy

I bought the vintage air last year and installed it I think it works OK but to be honest I expected it to work better than it does. That being said it will keep you comfortable but won't freeze you out of the cab . I like my a/c systems to blow super cold
Hidesertchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #33
Metaldoc

I love my VA and I also welded my fire wall in to keep it clean. I used there cover plate and just cut out what I needed to fil the holes. My kit was 2200$ Can. plus the Freon charge. Sure fit kit gen 5
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #34
jfnar

It's interesting that they came up with compressor brackets for your 292. Both companies told me that they don't have brackets for a 292.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #35
old51sedan

I just got an email from VA, they have the bracket 15249-VCB. It's listed on page 37 under brackets in their online catalog. They are putting me a kit together with this bracket. They bracket lists for 149.00
Old Air also has it, it's 40-150R listed @ $99.50
I'm hoping that because the 292 is taller we can use a electronic ignition. They do make an EI with an external coil that should work so I'm told.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited by old51sedan; 08-20-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: addition Information