The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #76
YoungDreamer

Re: Teenagers Dream

Im ok with working to have to steer the car and pumping the brakes a little bit earlier to get the "boat" to slow down, but i really think to convince my momma to let me get the truck the top of the list of things to do is safety stuff. I found a guy with a C20 it needs a fuel injector or something like that and a radiator it has a V8? in it says it was to powerful for his 16 year old son, thinking his son must be a little weak in the wrist... if that saying is still allowed idk... but its $1800 and he has the radiator to put in, it probably needs tires and new fluids but hey i have a 75 gallon fishtank with a $1000+ value put on it by my dad and it is craigslist so LETS WORK A DEAL. I may have a POS truck by the end of the month, but if it runs and will help me get to a job soi can make it steer like a sporty boat by the end of the summer i will be happy
YoungDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #77
YoungDreamer

So after i finish the C10, i want to build one of these...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ram_peterbilt/
Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #78
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDreamer View Post
So i am new here, dont know a whole lot about trucks, but i know what i want! i love 63' C-10's and C-20's. SO i wanted some advice, maybe somebody could help me out.

What is a good price for a running C10?
Is it possible to do a diesel swap, what engine should i use?
Does anybody sell a lift kit for the 63?

Im looking to build a daily driver that will handle city driving for the most part but also dirt roads, and 85 mph highways. If you have any helpful tips i would love to learn anything i can.
A good price for a class 4 C-10 would run no more than $1000. Class 4 has no restoration but is runable and driveable. It is possible to do a diesel swap(I would use a first generation cummins) There is just ALOT of adapting to do(I wont go through the list) You could also use a durmax...Even more adapting! The cummins would be easier to use because its a 6 cylinder(better low end torque).
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #79
YoungDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
A good price for a class 4 C-10 would run no more than $1000. Class 4 has no restoration but is runable and driveable. It is possible to do a diesel swap(I would use a first generation cummins) There is just ALOT of adapting to do(I wont go through the list) You could also use a durmax...Even more adapting! The cummins would be easier to use because its a 6 cylinder(better low end torque).
Found "universal" motor mounts for 4BT engines on ebay for under $200, that helps a little
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #80
tincan1966

Been following this thread abit, and would like to offer some professional advise:
A C-20 resto with a Cummins diesel conversion, is not something you throw together in a couple months. A good used(most likely 100K + miles) Cummins will run in the neighborhood of $2500-4000-just for a complete engine.This conversion is not for the faint of heart-it's alot of work. No disrespect intended, but maybe not for a first time project with limited experience.

The best advise to give is for you to make a plan and stay with it. Decide what is doable with the funds you have and the ability you have. I am sure you will get help from friends and other members, we all try to help each other out.

I would suggest finding a running/driveable C10-20 whichever you can find, work on it to improve it as you enjoy it. Just building a truck to run 85MPH isn't much of a target- go more for dependability and reliability if it's your main transportation. As another member posted- if your driving it, you'll be more likely to keep working on it. Alot of projects get sold after years in pieces when the owner cannot see the end in sight or is in way over their head, without the money or skills to finish it.

You're young and have lots of time to build all the projects you can dream of, just start small and increase your ability and skill as you go.
Good luck!

PS I have never owned a 4X4 '60-66 truck, but they do look cool with a small lift and some good tires!!
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote