The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #26
ManNamedJed

Re: Rimrocker trail and Blazer Bash in Moab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
Moab is a favorite that I want to explore more of. Not the crazy extreme rock crawling stuff, but the lesser-traveled more remote trails like White rim and others like it.
I agree. Moab is one of the few places I've visited more than once and want to go back again. I mountain bike as well and the bike trails there are great.

The first time in the CJ, I was all about doing the hairy jeep trails. But more and more I fail to see the point in driving through a boulder filled canyon just for the sake of making it through the obstacles. Plus its a good way to tear up your gear.

I want to go places for scenic views or to see petryoglyph sites, or hot springs, or ghost towns, etc. That's more what we did the second time in the Cherokee. I hope to have the suburban done enough for a trip like that next year.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #27
rowdy11

I'm a Moab rat. I've mountain biked, road biked, and off roaded most of the trails there from extreme to easy. It's a bucket list item for sure, and I suggest Spring and Fall avoiding safari dates rather than in the heat of the summer. You can hit 5 national parks in Southerrn Utah as well if you want to make a longer trip of it.

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of "Guide to Moab UT Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles Wells if you plan to off road and want an excellent primer on all the trails. It's a classic and is still sold in most of the stores in Moab if you want to pick one up while there.

Excellent write up!
rowdy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #28
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
I agree. Moab is one of the few places I've visited more than once and want to go back again. I mountain bike as well and the bike trails there are great.

The first time in the CJ, I was all about doing the hairy jeep trails. But more and more I fail to see the point in driving through a boulder filled canyon just for the sake of making it through the obstacles. Plus its a good way to tear up your gear.

I want to go places for scenic views or to see petryoglyph sites, or hot springs, or ghost towns, etc. That's more what we did the second time in the Cherokee. I hope to have the suburban done enough for a trip like that next year.
The San Rafel swell west of Moab has more of the scenic views and historical sights to see. We've explored a small slice of that a couple of years ago and will be back to see more for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy11 View Post
I'm a Moab rat. I've mountain biked, road biked, and off roaded most of the trails there from extreme to easy. It's a bucket list item for sure, and I suggest Spring and Fall avoiding safari dates rather than in the heat of the summer. You can hit 5 national parks in Southerrn Utah as well if you want to make a longer trip of it.

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of "Guide to Moab UT Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles Wells if you plan to off road and want an excellent primer on all the trails. It's a classic and is still sold in most of the stores in Moab if you want to pick one up while there.

Excellent write up!
Thanks! I've got both of Charles Wells' books for Colorado trails and love them for clear descriptions and accurate maps and waypoints. Plus you can download free GPX files of the trails from his website that match the books. I love having them both as I use an Ipad in the truck for navigation and having the digital copy match the book is very helpful in case of Ipad failure.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #29
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Here's the video from Flat Iron Mesa in Moab. Fun trail. I'd like to finish it!

https://youtu.be/ZYbuKLvkMiQ
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote