The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: What is your favorite rust inhibitive paint?
Eastwood RE 8 11.27%
KBS coatings 11 15.49%
POR 15 36 50.70%
Rust Bullet 9 12.68%
Zero Rust 7 9.86%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
jlaird

Rust coatings

Thought this might be a fun poll. I searched for previous polls on this subject but couldn't find one. So the question is, what is your favorite rust paint? In the poll, I included the following:

Eastwood RE, www.eastwoodco.com
KBS Coatings, www.kbs-coatings.com
POR 15, www.por15.com
Rust Bullet, www.rustbullet.com
Zero Rust, www.zerorustusa.com

I'm particularly interested in any thoughts you have about Zero Rust and KBS because they have a nice range of colors to chose from.

If you reply to this thread, don't forget to vote!!!

Last edited by jlaird; 05-01-2007 at 08:47 AM.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Re: Rust coatings

por-15 all day and every day..

it's a B!$@H to get off your hands tho

pretty much has to wear off
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Rust Buster

Re: Rust coatings

I've used Rust Bullet with great success so far, and it is easier to use than Por-15.

I used Por-15 on a 90 K5 where I painted one underside of the floor pan with it and the other side with rustoleum rusty metal primer. After one MA winter, the por was flaking off and the rustoleum was doing much better.

Now I will say that this result may be due to my prep wor rather than the Por-15, but if that was the case I would have expected the Rustoleum to be in the same shape.
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
jamon8

ask this question in about 10 years
jamon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
AuggieStyle

what about marhyde one step or rust mort. they both turn rust into primers and then you can add any color on top.
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
albertarose

Industral electrican welders use a grey zinc powder paint in spray bombs..I have seen welds that were painted with out even cleaning the weld 20 years old with no rust even starting..these are out in the rain and snow 356 days a year..alls I know is that paint works on bare fairly clean steel like crazy!
albertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
vettelover

used por a dozen times or better trying to find why people might like it. It must just be the familiar name. I recently used the kbs rustseal and it's much much better...and less expensive. Here's the best kit:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Fram...t-P106C30.aspx
vettelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Sorry to throw another one in the mix, but this is what I'm going to use. MSGross used it and seems to really like it.
http://www.nomorerust.com/

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
agronomya

This is a great post. Always wondered what else was out there besides POR-15. I want to try the KBS system.

1969 Chevy LWB-SDPC 350, TH400, old farm truck
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/agronomya/

2006 Nissan Altima-For my 2000 miles a month
agronomya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
Restotruckin

The kbs is worth a try and it is about the only one that has more than black and silver as colors. I mostly use there OEM satin as it is so hard to find a good Satin rust paint. Then your work is done you don't have to worry about messing around with a chassis/floorpan top coat.
Restotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
Kevin45

How about a "none of the above" for the post. I think the rust coatings are way overated. For one they "encapsulate" the rust. By this, it means it covers the rust and seals out the air to prevent more rust. A lot of people use it the wrong way is whay I don't care for it. I have heard of ones "bondo'ing" cab corners and then covering with POR-15 then painting over it. Well "duh", a cab corner is rusting from the inside out. Some companies state that their product neutralizes the rust. But then reading down they talk encapsulation again. Also it is stated that scale, etc, must be removed first or there product will not work correctly and will then void all claims. POR and the others is most definately a tougher paint, but it is not the rust cure all. To cure a rust problem, you need to get rid of the rust problem to begin with. There are a few products that will neutralize the rust completely, but if you are working on a frame of the truck with the bed and cab attached, you are going to have a messy time. The best thing to do is have a frame sandblasted, the next best is to have the bed removed, wire brush, DA, and sand every place that you can, then neutralize the rust, then wither use the POR's or such or a brand name quality of paint. For the underneath though, if it is not going to be show quality but you want it looking nice, Descale the rust, clean thoroughly, and take a hint from the farmers with the implement paint. You figure that their equipment is sitting out 24/7. But that is just my $.02 on the subject. I have used different products over the years and most do not do what they state that they are going to do. That is why they have lawyers go over the descriptions before a product ever hits the market. When 6 months down the road, something fails, chances are you have already tossed the receipt, or it is such a pain to get your money back that it is not worth it. I guess I am getting off topic a little about that but a buddy of mine was over last evening and he was telling me about his '06 Fullsize. He is a painter at Honda, so he knows what he is taling about when it comes to that department. He installed a lift kit on his truck and in doing so, found some areas that were missed with paint and seam sealer from the factory. With the truck having a warranty against rust for what I believe he said was 100,000 miles, he went back to the dealership to address this problem. The manager looked at it and stated that there was nothing they could do to remedy the problem. Reason being.....he installed a lift kit, although the lift kit has absolutely nothing to do with what was forgotten to do at the factory. But they did tell him that when it starts to rust out, to bring it in and they will cover that. So...no preventive maintenance there. Anyways, I'm done with my windy rant. Just make sure you clean, prep, descale, etc. before using the POR or other products.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #12
jlaird

Here's a question. If a frame is blasted, can you still use the above rust coatings or do you need to first prime the blasted metal?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
wyattbonk

i really like the KBS RustSeal. It flows out better and covers better than the others that i have used (POR-15, EastWood, RustBullet). It also comes in Oxide Red and i use that color alot.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com
wyattbonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
jlaird

Two people with one post pushing KBS??? Hmmmm...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
byrd
Union Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertarose View Post
Industral electrican welders use a grey zinc powder paint in spray bombs..I have seen welds that were painted with out even cleaning the weld 20 years old with no rust even starting..these are out in the rain and snow 356 days a year..alls I know is that paint works on bare fairly clean steel like crazy!

Sparky here The cans say cold galvanizing on them, not sure if that is the name or just part of the label . Tuff stuff and will last forever, although I am not sure how it would hold up to salt
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #16
bodyman9174

Called rustbullet yesterday and they are sending me a pint to try out. And giveing me the names of some shops that have used it. So I will say so far about them atleast you can get ahold of someone and free stuff is pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
Mike 85
Face your fears

Rust NEVER sleeps.
You get RID of it or deal with it later.
POR has to have "some" rust to adhere to and the "converters" work temporarly but if ANY of these coatings are compromised,it WILL come back big time.
I've used cold galvanize in the spray can and as far as automotive work sucked. Our urethane paints just don't get along to well with it.
BEST advice is remove,replace and epoxy it.
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #18
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 85 View Post
...stuff deleted...
BEST advice is remove,replace and epoxy it.
I've used a lot of the products people listed above. Lately I've been doing what mike 85 said. Get epoxy on a good piece of metal then worry about it in about 30 more years. By then I'll be too old to give a crap.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #19
jamon8

guys i need your help on this one!!!

I bought a hood and there is some surface rust that is scaring the it out of me. I want to strip it down and use some etch primer but I was wondering what would be the best way to get rid of the rust

like I said it is just surface rust right now and I want to know what i can do about it
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
Mike 85
Face your fears

Sand as much off as you can with some 80 and then use some simple naval jelly to finish removing it off.It's slow and will take multiple apps but it will remove it and then epoxy it after a grease & wax remover clean.
Go check out Randy's web pages, I'm sure he has this procedure someplace.
Ahh, Here ya go.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/secr...led-55679.html
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #21
jamon8

what is naval jelly?

thanks for the quick reply

my hood does not have 1/4 of the rust that willies has
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #22
mvfd70

OK, let me know how u think this will turn out. I wire brushed the crap out of my frame, put a couple coats of rattle can primer on, then coated with rattle can black paint. It looks good to me. And my truck is not going to be a show stopper. This is my first build and I just want something that looks good and that i can cruise in once in a while. It'll spend most of its time in a garage. Am I making a big mistake with the spray can paint or will that be good enough for what I want.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #23
the_goat

So has anyone recently tried any of these? When only a few people respond it's hard to really see a pattern because some of the opinions conflict.
the_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #24
bodyworks

Here's an idea! Quit messin' around and do it right. Take it apart and blast it. Then prime with an expoxy sealer and paint. This is the only way to go, anything else is a waste of time and money. I always do it this way for myself and my customers.
bodyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #25
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyworks View Post
Here's an idea! Quit messin' around and do it right. Take it apart and blast it. Then prime with an expoxy sealer and paint. This is the only way to go, anything else is a waste of time and money. I always do it this way for myself and my customers.
Here's an idea...for most people, money is an issue. Sandblasting, Epoxy and paint is no doubt a great way to go, but you can also get great results with the products talked about in this thread. There is also a certain amount of pride people get from doing it themselves. Not everybody has the setup for spraying. So I wouldn't put down options. Just my .02 cents.