The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2003, 07:57 AM   #1
RShaips

What headers to buy ?

I need some input on which headers I should buy,I have a 67 with a 350 stroker and automatic. My main concern is their ability to seal tight against the heads.In my opinion the headers that have seperate flanges rather than one that connects all four pipes ,look like they would seal tighter. Thanks
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:26 AM   #2
MOTHERTRUCKERS

My opinion Dynomax fit the best on our trucks and yes cut the flanges berween the cylinders. We can cut them and ceramic coat them before shipping if interested. We now do powder coating and ceramic coating.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

I'm running the DynoMax Ceramic coated headers and have had love them.
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Bill, how long have you been using them?.....Jim

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
cruzn72

I have Sanderson tight tuck headers on my 72 gmc. They have been on for over 2 years with no leaks. I am glad I spent the money on them. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc3.htm
Old 06-07-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Quote:
Originally posted by 70c10
Bill, how long have you been using them?.....Jim
They have been on over a year now.

Bill
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
68 Stepside
huh?

Awesome Ed, I didn't know you did powdercoating/ceramic coating! Could you PM me and let me know it'd run me to bring a set of headers down and get em coated?

Thanks a lot,

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have the hooker super comps on my GMC, and I love them. I run manifold gaskets up top, and have not blown one yet, (over 2 years now) and that is even pulling the headers off a few times. I figure the manifold gaskets are so easy to replace, I may as well try re-useing them. On the collector, I have dead soft alluminum ones, I don't know how well they would seal up with anything else becouse that is all I'll run.
I have run these headers for 2 years and 8 months now, on 2 engines, and they were already old when I got the truck.
Here are some pics. on how they fit.
This is the passenger side. The #4 spark plug is the only one I can not get to with a socket. Ignore the hose clamp on there, the dip stick retaining strap broke a while ago and I have yet to replace it. (happened 26 months ago)

This is the drivers side header, it has had a couple dimples put in it to assist removing the spark plugs on a couple pipes, nothing major, probably does no harm in flow. I have later (73 and up) acc brackets on this truck which is why I have that spacer on the first bolt. If you have the correct pwr steering set up, or no pwr steering at all, then you would use a normal header bolt there. You can see there is no problems routing the plug wires, but as with any headers, you can burn a wire if you are not carefull. (the black glop on the #3 wire is an RTV patch over a burn scar) The access to the oil filter is a little bit of a pain, but I've seen WAY worse. (pick any of the $99 headers and you'll see what I'm talking about, same with getting to the spark plugs)

HEre you can see the ground clearance. The suspention will bottom out well before the headers will touch the ground. (I know this for a fact becouse my front springs are as soft as a marshmellow and DO bottom out all the time) You'll notice they exit perpindicular with the chassis, instead of aimed down at the pavement liek the cheap ones do. This makes routing the pipes easy if you are doing a temp system with a few feet of pipe and mufflers, and when you go to get real pipes bent up for it, they will be able to tuck the pipes up easier and with less bends. Even though my headers do look kinda crusty, they show no signs of rusting through.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:22 PM   #9
RShaips

Thanks , nice pics!
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:30 PM   #10
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I have heddman headers, and i like them alot. They cost $103, and i can easily access the oil filter, and all but 1 spark plug with a ratchet. One of the collectors does point up at the cab floor, but it just looks a little weird. However, they do hang a bit close to the ground. They haven't been a problem for me, but if your truck is lowered, they may bottom out every now and then. All in all, i think they were worth what i paid for them.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote