The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
ReverenSmalls

High School longterm build 1969 CST10 swb

A couple weeks ago my dad and i picked up my first pickup to work on as a father son project. Back in the 7th grade while everyone else had there minds on computer games and such, i had my mind on finding a truck to build, and i did but I soon found out it was a huge basket case and too much work for me to handle. so I waited and saved every last dollar i could to afford my pickup, and after months of craigslist,backyard searching, and ringing random doorbells, i finally found my pickup. a 1969 cst-10 swb 350 4 speed, originally dark olive green but the guy i bought it from said his grandfather repainted it many, many years ago to the lighter olive green. We also got to drive the truck home and and it runs great (made it 66 miles) My short term project for this will most likely get it back on some original steelies and give it a better stance, and have it girlfriend proof (properly working stereo and comfortable seat) LOL! and for the long term from lurking the forum getting ideas from some of the elite people on the forum im going to try and get a full porterbuilt suspension and an Lsx swap for it. so, i think youve heard enough of my babbling heres my truck. there will be more pics soon!
Attached Images

ReverenSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
thelonerife

Re: High School longterm build 1969 CST10 swb

Looks like a nice truck.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
ReverenSmalls

After a month or so of hibernating the truck at my grandmas, im back with a few fixes on the pickup. My dads boss had an old blazer, (69 i think) and he had a working am radio and a couple other misc items, which he gave to me for free!i also fixed my column with buying a new turn signal regulator and cut my heavy duty barden bumper into the more sport looking barden bumper.(yes i need to get rid of the squarebody steering wheel lolol) finally i replaced my driver side door handle. More to come!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Nitis

Baby steps bud don't get in a hurry

A couple hours and a box of SOS pads will do those wheels a lot of good and might buy you some time

Next remember that truck is 45 years old and doesn't look like it's got bad rust so get some rust neutralizer treat it and then wait til you have the money to fix.

Next pick up a few rattle cans of flat black for touching things up

A new dash pad is an inexpensive dress item

And some sort of floor covering whether you choose carpet vinyl or rubber use the insulation I couldn't believe how much difference it made in cab noise

Then maybe some new door to cab seals again not very expensive but stops the rattles.

Set some short term goals have fun don't worry about a paint job it's superficial

Good luck wish I had kept my 70 I had back in high school
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
ReverenSmalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
Baby steps bud don't get in a hurry

A couple hours and a box of SOS pads will do those wheels a lot of good and might buy you some time

Next remember that truck is 45 years old and doesn't look like it's got bad rust so get some rust neutralizer treat it and then wait til you have the money to fix.

Next pick up a few rattle cans of flat black for touching things up

A new dash pad is an inexpensive dress item

And some sort of floor covering whether you choose carpet vinyl or rubber use the insulation I couldn't believe how much difference it made in cab noise

Then maybe some new door to cab seals again not very expensive but stops the rattles.

Set some short term goals have fun don't worry about a paint job it's superficial

Good luck wish I had kept my 70 I had back in high school

thank you for the advice, really appreciate it! im gonna keep the build lowkey and keep the patina on it, the truck is very clean, the mags are actually gonna get polished up until i eventually buy steelies. im really trying to squeeze the dollar, girlfriend takes my funds! im just going inch by inch, im in no rush!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
Nitis

Perfect then SOS pads simple green and flat black spray paint will be your friend!

But seriously new door cab seals and side window kits along with some insulation under a floor covering of your choice will make it so much nicer to drive.

I just put insulation and a rubber mat in mine and I couldn't believe how much more quiet it was. Almost enough to use my iPhone speaker for a radio
Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
ReverenSmalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
Perfect then SOS pads simple green and flat black spray paint will be your friend!

But seriously new door cab seals and side window kits along with some insulation under a floor covering of your choice will make it so much nicer to drive.

I just put insulation and a rubber mat in mine and I couldn't believe how much more quiet it was. Almost enough to use my iPhone speaker for a radio
Ill look into that. Thank you again!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #8
Nitis

As for your steering wheel dad and I use early 90s spoke style they fit good and are cheap from the wrecking yard and my horn even works
Old 07-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
ReverenSmalls

weird... if the truck was stock olive green, howd they get the lighter olive under the glovebox stamp?
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
ReverenSmalls

heres a better shot of the bedside.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
ReverenSmalls

Every little bit counts! over the course of the week i took the wire wheel to my ol' mags temporarily until i save up for some steel wheels. Next I traced the wires back and found out my windshield wiper motor was just unplugged, me and pops stopped by the local parts store and picked up a new pair of wipers! Finally we went to pick n pull ( so lucky to have one in my town hahaha) and picked up a "new" fuel line because the grandpa who owned it used rubber for it and that was not approved by pops, big things are coming i promise!
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Nitis

nicely done

little by little and you will get there
Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
birdistheword

Nice project. Looks a lot like a truck I recently bought here in Washington that was originally from Eureka, California. Mine was a factory 307 and 4 speed until I swapped out for a new 350.
Attached Images

1979 Chevy K30 dually currently in pieces
birdistheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
ReverenSmalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post
Nice project. Looks a lot like a truck I recently bought here in Washington that was originally from Eureka, California. Mine was a factory 307 and 4 speed until I swapped out for a new 350.
Thats a good looking truck man! it took me forever to find a clean truck for my price range, im on the hunt right now for a clean set of 6 lug steel wheels/ original hubcaps, youre lucky! youve already got them!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
birdistheword

Thanks. I thought it was kinda funny we both have the same hooks mounted to the outside of the bed. Well once I save up for tires I'm ditching the steels for some 15x7 and 15x9 slotted aluminum rims I have. You can have my old steels for free if you want to drive all the way up to Washington lol.
1979 Chevy K30 dually currently in pieces
birdistheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
ReverenSmalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdistheword View Post
Thanks. I thought it was kinda funny we both have the same hooks mounted to the outside of the bed. Well once I save up for tires I'm ditching the steels for some 15x7 and 15x9 slotted aluminum rims I have. You can have my old steels for free if you want to drive all the way up to Washington lol.
i think its the northern CA way to have the hooks lol! If i ever find myself in Washington i will for sure PM you! haha thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
ReverenSmalls

Its a daily! got a new set of hood hinges from classic industries and now we can drive w/o the hood flying up and also.. theres this ripped off piece of paper next to my identifaction plate that looks to be a dealer note, anybody know what it is?
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
ReverenSmalls

Little late, considering We finished the exhaust a couple weekends ago.... But my dad has a coworker, who has a son who works for flowmaster, and he made me a sweet deal on a full manifold back flowmaster system for my truck! By the way, It took patience to save, considering I've got 100 dollar bill parts needed everywhere haha I'll try and get a video up for sound but heres a couple updated pics! License next month, She'll be ready

Next: suspension and wheels. Since my pops and i both decided about keeping it simple until after college, im going with a CPP 3/5 drop and some 15x8 Wheel Vintique smoothies
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #19
ReverenSmalls

Update! I actually went with all original 15x6 steels off of a 4x4 squarebody a couple towns up, and found a set of original CST Caps to go with them! Getting ready for the Peggy Sue car cruise trying to dial everything in. I'm about to make a suspension adjustment in the next couple weeks!! (CPP) Stay tuned!!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #20
jfallon83

Wow, your truck is looking great and I like the look of the original style wheels. I'm curious to see how your 1/3 drop turns out. I'm curious to see how your 3/5 drop looks because I've been considering it for mine.
jfallon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:54 PM   #21
ReverenSmalls

Thumbs up Re: High School longterm build 1969 CST10 swb

Update: I made a last minute decision to go with an ECE 2/4 drop kit because I heard so many positive things with early classic! Photos are coming soon!
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
Joe Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverenSmalls View Post
Update: I made a last minute decision to go with an ECE 2/4 drop kit because I heard so many positive things with early classic! Photos are coming soon!
Any updates?
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #23
ReverenSmalls

Update! Here's my truck with the 2-4 drop from ECE, for the past 6 months i've been cruising it and having it my daily for varsity football practice, school, etc. I also fell into this craigslist ad over in a town not too far from mine, its my flipper, an all original 67' small back window stepside, i6 3 on the tree, REAL SHOP TRUCK proctect-o plate proved that it was ordered by this company in SF back in 67'! Waiting on the transporter for the 67' at the moment. I'll fill you guys in on what I plan to flip in the coming months!
Attached Images

Last edited by ReverenSmalls; 01-06-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #24
Joe Pass

Good for you.....ambitious young man....On another note, you must know Jim Morris and his son Jake playing football?. Jim is my neighbor, good guy and hotrodder...
Look for you on the streets of Windsor...
Joe
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #25
ReverenSmalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
Good for you.....ambitious young man....On another note, you must know Jim Morris and his son Jake playing football?. Jim is my neighbor, good guy and hotrodder...
Look for you on the streets of Windsor...
Joe
Yes! I've played football with Jake before, and his dad's hotrod is sweet!