The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
andyh1956

Cab Rust Question

Boys I have a question on how to repair a rust spot. I have been shopping for a pickup for my grand son & looked at a better than average '83 short wide C10 today. It's brown w/ a cream colored roof & Beige interior. 250 p/s p/b column shift. One repaint after a driver door accident.
Under the cab is perfect. inner / outer rockers, floor, floor supports & under corners are perfect. Door bottoms perfect. The owner is 88 yrs old & has let the truck set out under trees since he's owned it & on the driver's side inside of the door well, let's say in the crease where the seam sealer goes from the striker up to the curve that starts towards the front, all the sealer has come up & there's wet flaky rust under that. It's the area the door seal sets against.Then on the outside of the cab, behind the outer rocker an area about 3" x 3" the paint has slipped & rust under that.
So my question is if I get aggressive & remove the seam sealer & the when dealing with the rust I penetrate to the inside how would a person fix this? If it's rusty on the inside how would you treat this? It's about 18" or so that needs attention. The bottom of the outside of the cab corner can be dealt with conventionally.
I'm a diesel mechanic by trade & need all the help I can get with body work!
Oh yeah he wants $5500 for this truck, about $1500 more than I think I would pay for it anyway.
Thanks
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Cab Rust Question

pics would be helpful even if you show another door area and circle where its at... but I would think best to cut a section out of a boneyard cab and replace it the 3x3 area can be done the same way but you can make that outta scrap steel

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
andyh1956

Yeah I don't have any photos, left my camera at home & my flip phone don't pik.
My greatest concern is having this area be a multiple laminate of metal. I hate to buy something that needs reconstructing right now!
I have a cab up behind the barn that got T- Boned by a mini van on the passenger side that could donate metal if I need it.
By the way, having a mini van drive up into the cab with you will ruin your day!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Yeah we need pictures it could just be surface rust or could be that nasty rusty you don't wanna deal with.And if its the nasty rust the truck would have to be super clean everywhere else before i would spend that kinda money on it but thats just me.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote