The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Portmod7

Need opinions from the Buddy Bucket guys...

So I have some buddy buckets in my truck, minus the console. I did buy a console, but it's in rough shape and the cushions are upholstered in red. I think the covers on my seats are original, but I'm sure somebody here would know more about it than I do? They are in excellent shape, no rips, tears, or cracks anywhere. Just some discoloration here and there that really goes well with the rest of the truck.

So here's my dilemma; I want to at least put new foam in the seats to make them more comfortable and get the center console cushions rebuilt in blue to match the seats. But, no matter what, the console won't match the seats. At the very least it will be shiny new upholstery next to the aged seats. Well, I wouldn't mind just doing the whole set the same, then it will all match, and I love the look of blue-on-blue houndstooth. BUT, I feel bad about letting these good original covers go to waste, plus it would be a lot more affordable not to have to buy a complete set of covers. What do you guys think?

First off, could these really be original covers? The bottom of the foam even has "GM" molded into it. And if they are original, would there be any interest in them so I could replace them with a clear conscience? Or should I just reuse them?

And secondly, any recommendations on what to use to rebuild my seats? I love what I've seen from member Truckseats on the covers. Member Pickmup sells the American Cushion foam. Then I've also seen where members like leddzepp have had upholstery shops rebuild the seats by shaping their own foam and seem to have saved a ton of money.

I don't need show quality, but I don't want it to look like junk either. More important to me is what they feel like when I sit in them. I don't want them to be soft to where I sink in them like sitting on a couch, I want good support that is comfortable but holds you in the seat well for those fast corners... The ones I have now are so freakin soft I can't hardly stay upright even on slow corners, there's just NO support.

Everyone has an opinion, and wants something different, but I'm hoping maybe I can get a little idea of the differences between my options and maybe save some money too. Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Need opinions from the Buddy Bucket guys...

First off looks like a nice set of seats. Have no idea if the covers are original but really doubt it. Every set I have seen were in much worse shape. Plus when I removed my original covers they didn't look like that on the bottom. But I could be wrong. If you want to attempt to make the seat foam stiffer I suggest replacing the foam with the American manufactured foam. A good shop can probably almost match those covers for the center seat and replace the foam. If your still not happy with how comfortable they are even after a new set of covers you can always resell them easily if not on this site E-bay.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I would never redo those seats!
They are TOO NICE.

Buy another set and completely rebuild them.
It would be a shame to tear those apart.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Vorcutt

I am VERY happy with these folks. I think they also supply new foam. Great price, service and quality. I wish all vendors were as good as these folks and Mar-K Industries!
http://www.ricksupholstery.com/index.html
Attached Images

Vorcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
C/10 King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
i would never redo those seats!
They are too nice.

x2.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
75gmc454

Yes those are the original covers for a chevy. I have a 68 that has a red interior with the same covers on them. Maybe I can get a pic of the center section of my seat so you can have an idea of what it is supposed to look like.
75gmc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
dan42

I recovered my buddy buckets with the original foam that was still in pretty good shape; however, the original foam was not formed very well, and my mid fifties back gets sore pretty quick with the way it is. I plan on replacing the foam with some modern shaped foam that is contoured for your back and legs, and at the same time, retaining the classic bucket seat look of the truck. New chevy pickups have nicely shaped foam, I would probably go with something similar to that. I also would like to cut the frame down an inch or two - right now I am looking through the top quarter of the windshield.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Cordless57

Put new foam in the seats and use those nice existing covers. Make the console over in black to match the door panels. Maybe some blue pinstriping along with the black. The console doesn't have to match the seat color.
Cordless57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Portmod7

Quote:
They are TOO NICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
x2.
x3

That's why I bought them in the first place. The looked so nice, and they are, but the foam leaves a lot to be desired for me. I'd never sat in original Buddy's so I didn't know. Now I'm wishing I wouldn't have bought them, somebody who wanted some nice originals would have appreciated them a lot more I think. I can't bring myself to tear them apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
First off looks like a nice set of seats. Have no idea if the covers are original but really doubt it. Every set I have seen were in much worse shape. Plus when I removed my original covers they didn't look like that on the bottom. But I could be wrong. If you want to attempt to make the seat foam stiffer I suggest replacing the foam with the American manufactured foam. A good shop can probably almost match those covers for the center seat and replace the foam. If your still not happy with how comfortable they are even after a new set of covers you can always resell them easily if not on this site E-bay.
That American Cushion foam sure looks like a nice product in the pictures I've seen. Do you have it in your seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmc454 View Post
Yes those are the original covers for a chevy. I have a 68 that has a red interior with the same covers on them. Maybe I can get a pic of the center section of my seat so you can have an idea of what it is supposed to look like.
Thanks! I've come across pictures here and there. The main difference is the distance between the strips I think. Mine are like 1" wide, the other version is 3" or so wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
I recovered my buddy buckets with the original foam that was still in pretty good shape; however, the original foam was not formed very well, and my mid fifties back gets sore pretty quick with the way it is. I plan on replacing the foam with some modern shaped foam that is contoured for your back and legs, and at the same time, retaining the classic bucket seat look of the truck. New chevy pickups have nicely shaped foam, I would probably go with something similar to that. I also would like to cut the frame down an inch or two - right now I am looking through the top quarter of the windshield.
I agree. This original foam doesn't agree with me. I would like to sit on something that feels a little more modern, but looks like it belongs in the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless57 View Post
Put new foam in the seats and use those nice existing covers. Make the console over in black to match the door panels. Maybe some blue pinstriping along with the black. The console doesn't have to match the seat color.
I don't know if I can bring myself to trash the foam that's in them. If these seats are all original, they've got to be the nicest ones I've seen. I think to even trade out the foam would bother me too much. There's got to be someone out there who wants them original more than I do.

I've even considered seats from other sources, although I am scared they won't look right in my truck. I actually really like the seats in my wife's Jeep. They are very simple, no big globs of plastic on the side or anything, and the back is adjustable. I think I could cut the back down, have them reupholstered in some Buddy style houndstooth, and it they wouldn't look too out of place. They are a little narrower than the buddy's though.

I don't know. I guess the search is on for some different seats, and a new home for these ones! Thanks guys. Opinions on the American Cushion foam vs. having an upholstery shop build the foam would still be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Portmod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorcutt View Post
I am VERY happy with these folks. I think they also supply new foam. Great price, service and quality. I wish all vendors were as good as these folks and Mar-K Industries!
http://www.ricksupholstery.com/index.html
Yeah, those look KILLER! I want a set of THOSE in my truck! I may have to give Rick's a call. Thanks!

I have also been trying to visualize the Highlander plad inserts instead of the houndstooth. Might go well with my white roof?? Hmm.....
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

Just sell them to me and get some better ones

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Portmod7

Just a quick look at the Summit website yields some results....

There's these, but I don't like the huge plastic cover over the reclining mechanism, but if I put the "right" seat on the left and "left" seat on the right it might be hidden behind the console?

The same company makes these...

Then there's these, they don't recline or tilt forward though...

If nothing else, the shipping is free, and Summit always includes a return label. I could order one of each and see how I like them, and send em back if I don't...

Of course, whichever I chose would have to be recovered. But still a lot cheaper than real Buddy Buckets and might give a similar look.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

My opinion,... a nice stock bench seat is super comfortable,.... AFTER the seat is lowered and the back is kicked rearward.
Put a good bench in your truck and play around with the angle of the back.
Then build a floor bracket to keep them in that position.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Portmod7

I'm glad you mentioned that... I really liked the one in Hazel.... Not a bad option at all. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
leddzepp

PUI foam is MORE than firm enough. I have it in my seats and my head almost hits the roof of the cab. As far as covers go, any upholstery shop can duplicate those covers, it's a very simple pattern, don't worry about "saving" them. I do agree with Keith about a stock bench seat being the most comfortable (as far as stock seat options go). None of them however will beat the comfort of a more modern seat if that is your primary concern.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 10-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Vorcutt

The stock bench is comfy, but the buddy buckets can be, too (and they are so cool)!! I have a vintage air system in my truck, so I lost a lot of glove box-the little extra storage you get with the console is awesome.
Vorcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
elf w/capital T

Quote:
They are TOO NICE.

elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote