The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
big bad booty daddy

Frame?

i have a 1952 GMC 1/2 ton 5 window. Im going to install an LS1 and tranny from a 2002 Trans Am WS6 6 speed. My question is.... Is there any way i can use the trans am chassis, i bought the entire trans am as salvage (minor damage) chassis is fine. im also planning on using the rear end and what ever other part i need and can be installed into the 52. ive had the truck for 10 years now with a 235 and tranny but am just now starting to get back into fixing it. any information is greatly appreciated.
big bad booty daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #2
kgwest

Re: Frame?

I believe the Trans Am is a unibody (no frame).
kgwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Rick.Coleman

I am doing something similar using a 96 Trans Am for my 52 Chevy; used the LT1 and transmission. Thought about trying to use the suspension but the engine cradle and front suspension are too wide. Also, if you are thinking of using the rear end it is also wide too. I cut all the bracing off the rear end and had it shortened 5 inches. Nice set up and gives you posi and rear disc.
Rick.Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
TheLlama

You wont really be able to use the front subfrane of the Trans-Am without severe modification. I would just run a Mustang II IFS front end and bolt the engine and tranny in.
TheLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
big bad booty daddy

kgwest you are correct sir i just found that out today

Rick.Coleman im assuming that you used your original chassis right. how did you have your rear end shortened. Im also thinking about using an S10 chassis, if i went with that do you think it might be wider? let me know how it goes with your project it sound like we are after something very similar. do you have any pics if so my e mail is
bigbadbootydaddy96@yahoo.com

TheLlama if i go with the original chassis my friend did mention the mustang IFS like you and also a 77 camaro front clip would work. there are so many options and i have not reserched it that well. its going to be a long process. but hopefully worth it.

thanks you guys for taking the time to respond hope i get some progress and ill start posting pics !
big bad booty daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
qksilver

you would probably be happier with either the s10 swap or using a Mustang II front end on your boxed stock frame.
It takes a good frabber and welder to get the sub frame swap right, and to be honest, even thought there might be, I have never seen a clean one done. Always a lot of boxing plates and weird shapes.
It is a cost effective swap if you have an experience person doing it, if not they can ruin the frame.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Rick.Coleman

Yes, used the original frame and a mustang II from TCI. I took the rear end to a local shop, he cut/welded the tubes to make them the length I wanted and had the axles re-splined. I cut 5"" (2.5" per side) to get it down to 60" wide from rotor to rotor. I am using a TCI rear leaf spring set up. This site (www.ad-engineering.com) that has some good information on using the S10. My truck is a work in progress and moving slow; I have more ideas/things to do than I have time and money. Been wanting to take some pictures but not got around to it yet. I noticed you are in TX; I’m in the San Antonio area so if you are close drop a line and maybe we can meet up and swap ideas.
Rick.Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
PBFAB.COM

I would recommend sticking with the stock frame and going with an aftermarket front suspension. The camaro is a bit wide (I put one in a 51 GMC we built, and wouldn't do it again). You can see the build pics at www.porterbuiltstreetrods.com.
Go with a MII or similar front end and box the frame-rails. Have the rearend narrowed or get one out of a late-model S-10 4WD blazer (2000 and up). The 4WD came with discs are an 8.8 and posi. It's just the right width.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson