The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
54 LS-3100

Lightbulb Leaf spring setup- upgrade

I am looking to update the leaf spring setup on my 54 (47-53 frame) and was curious as to what other guys have used. I want to go with a wider spring and use new mounts and brackets. Basically build my version of the TCI leaf spring kit for less money.

I thought about using s10 leafs and buying new leaf spring hangers. They would mount closer to the frame and give me a couple inch drop. I would try to mount it high enough to keep from c-notching.

Here is the hanger style I was thinking about.

http://www.barnes4wd.com/Heavy-Duty-...ir_p_109.html#

Or I could just go with a 4 link.... Springs would be suitable for cheaper though.
54 LS-3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
mdpaulson1

Re: Leaf spring setup- upgrade

I have the TCI on my 56 and like it, simple to install. I would have gone 4 link but everbody I priced when I was doing mine was back ordered.I didn;t want to wait. Paul Horten welder series looks nice for a 4 link and several guys have done them here as well.
https://welderseries.com/blog/#!/Rea...=0&sort=normal
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

So... what did you wind up doing?
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #4
yossarian19

Probably an IFS.
Near as I can tell, the high points of the best you can do with a stock front axle:
Flip springs end for end so the shackle is in the rear
Add a steering shock
Put the box-to-axle steering arm on the passenger's side (if you can find the space, crossover steering is more accurate than other solid axle setups)
Get to 5* or so of caster
Tapered roller bearings + disc brakes
Power steering
Refresh / rebuild springs & bushings.

I would probably start with a square body 4wd front spring to get something with a rubber bushing in it and run a panhard rod if I later felt the need. Brass is great but it doesn't absorb road noise worth a darn.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
SKFengineer

Not sure what you mean by this line:

Put the box-to-axle steering arm on the passenger's side (if you can find the space, crossover steering is more accurate than other solid axle setups). Are you saying the steering box is somehow mounted on the pass. side?

- George
SKFengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKFengineer View Post
Not sure what you mean by this line:

Put the box-to-axle steering arm on the passenger's side (if you can find the space, crossover steering is more accurate than other solid axle setups). Are you saying the steering box is somehow mounted on the pass. side?

- George
He is talking about using a steering box mounted forward on the frame that steers "cross steering" with the drag link attached to the steering arm on the right spindle. Over the years a number of other brands of trucks had the steering setup done that way. On an AD truck you would not want to use a Vega box as the truck would be too heavy for that box. A Camaro or Chevelle size box is similar in design but larger and stronger but I would look into several designs of boxes that might mount simply, clear the engine and work well. Possibly second generation Mustang or the mid size Fords from the mid 70's early 80's up to the Grenada size rigs. The steering box would sit above the frame rail but the sector shaft is long enough to put the pitman arm where you want it below the frame rail.

This off the Speedway catalog for Early Fords but the principle is the same and the diagram shows what he is saying.

I've been wanting to figure out a simple cross steer setup for AD trucks that uses common easy to get pieces for quite a while but am not really set up to work on anything like that right now.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
SKFengineer

Okay I got it, I wasn't being creative enough in my head and I was just considering the stock box design vs. the box that would be on say my camaro or 1990's GMC.

Thanks for showing me the way.
SKFengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
54 LS-3100

I havent been able to work on the truck as much as I would like and I have been installing m2 which has also delayed the rear suspension. I will probably use s10 leafs and a dodge caravan front spring mount. Still unsure for the rear mount. Might just buy the whole rear suspension from a pre 96 caravan and call it good.
54 LS-3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54 LS-3100 View Post
I have been installing m2
Called it.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote