The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Finally got her VIN verified and weighted should be getting license plates and tags within next couple of weeks.
91 s10 extended cab I'll be shortening the frame 5" to get the right wheel base.
Plan for engine is ls1 mated to t56 maybe do mid shifter to fit with the bench seat or leave as is if I end up upgrading to bucket seats.
Will do the 4x4 rear end so that will give me disk brakes all around.
Sold the 4.3/700r4 was originally going to use but plans changed and Saving up for the ls1/t56.
Attached Images
     
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

another post I did most likely posted it in the wrong spot but More pictures of her and the s10 when I first got it.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=692256
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
gigamanx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 471
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Subscribed. I am doing an S10 swap with the stock 4.3 V6 auto. Eventually will want to swap for an LS. Haven't decided on trans yet. Rear end seemed like an easy decision until I started down the google rabbit hole. I'll be interested to see which you end up choosing. The S10 Blazer 4x4 8.5 rear seems to be the closest to stock option for the S10 chassis.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 4,014
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Just keep in mind the zr2 rear ends are 3" wider than a standard s10 rear..and the zr2 comes with 3.73 gears and a g80 locker and disc brakes
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Subscribed. I am doing an S10 swap with the stock 4.3 V6 auto. Eventually will want to swap for an LS. Haven't decided on trans yet. Rear end seemed like an easy decision until I started down the google rabbit hole. I'll be interested to see which you end up choosing. The S10 Blazer 4x4 8.5 rear seems to be the closest to stock option for the S10 chassis.
Yea think I'm going S10 blazer rear since it will be easier to swap from what I have researched
I still have to tear down the S10 haven't had much time now that I'm remodeling master bedroom in my house seems like endless work should be done by end of month hopefully and I'll have time to actually get this rolling.
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
youngrodder
Registered User
 
youngrodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotts, MI
Posts: 2,438
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Unless you shorten a Zr2 rearend it is too wide. For my 53 suburban I had to shorten mine a total of 8.5" to fit as I wanted it to and still be able to run a 9" or 10" wide rim.

Marc
__________________
............................... ____
.................. _______ |___\____
..;.;;.:;:;.,;. |__(O)_| ___ /_(O)|

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Unless you shorten a Zr2 rearend it is too wide. For my 53 suburban I had to shorten mine a total of 8.5" to fit as I wanted it to and still be able to run a 9" or 10" wide rim.

Marc
Yea I want to run wider wheels in the back maybe be running 600hp on a turbo set up
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 4,014
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

600hp?...you may want something a little stouter than a s10 rear..mine is going to start life out at around 450hp and I've got a 9" for mine..the more tire you put on the ground the harder its going to be on the rear..especially if you start banging on it with a t56.
I broke 4 resplined 9" axles with a under 400hp smallblock auto and 10" tires before I went with moser axles..

Last edited by mongocanfly; 02-09-2017 at 12:01 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
600hp?...you may want something a little stouter than a s10 rear..mine is going to start life out at around 450hp and I've got a 9" for mine..the more tire you put on the ground the harder its going to be on the rear..especially if you start banging on it with a t56.
I broke 4 resplined 9" axles with a under 400hp smallblock auto and 10" tires before I went with moser axles..
I don't plan on beating the he'll out of it but do plan on taking it to track the 1/4 mile see what it can do. I also researched about the Ford explorer trac rear end 3.73 gears LSD but not sure guess when time comes what ever I can find at the time I'll do that.
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Picture I took we been having a lot of rain lately here in Cali
Attached Images
 

Last edited by 49chevy3100; 02-09-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Picture not correct rotation
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

So it's been forever that I last posted something. Since the last post I finally got the tags and plates, Waited so long for tags to get here I received a letter from DMV that I needed to get insurance or else my reg would get suspended so went with AAA since all my cars have it.Sold the s10 rear end to a friend my local pick n pull had a 50% off weekend and got my self a ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip disk brakes with sway bar and driveshaft for 180$.and since I been paying insurance and not driving the thing finally said F*** it and bought a Vortec 5.7 tbi mated to 4L60E for 400$ for now so I can get the thing on the road later will still do the LS1/T56.
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

5.7 4L60e
Attached Images
 
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Explorer 8.8 rear anyone know for sure if has to be shorten down or can it be used as is seen acouple videos on YouTube that have been used as is but they don't mention if it's the explorer rear or mustang rear if no ones I'll be finding out later this week since I'll be installing it. Will add pictures and details.
Attached Images
 
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
gigamanx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 471
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

That engine looks familiar. I just took mine apart and put it back to carbureted http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741282
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #15
NorCalGal
Registered User
 
NorCalGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Yuba City, CA.
Posts: 109
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Explorer 8.8 is the right width fits perfect. The leaf spring perches on the rear end need to be moved about 1/2 on each side.
__________________
Jan's 53
NorCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
That engine looks familiar. I just took mine apart and put it back to carbureted http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741282
Nice we basically have the same set up was double reading you progress, I have a new born son going on 3 months now tough trying to fit everything in. Yea just picked up engine on Sunday guy said was complete with harness PCM now that I'm double checking everything I see that he cut the pcm side of the harness right at firewall so now I'm debating go carb or try go to local pick a part and get the rest of harness or complete harness
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGal View Post
Explorer 8.8 is the right width fits perfect. The leaf spring perches on the rear end need to be moved about 1/2 on each side.
Nice great to hear that, beside the different lug pattern from the front I think it was a great deal good thing I had a set of universal 5 lug rims that fit on both
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #18
joedoh
Senior Member
 
joedoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Doodah Kansas
Posts: 3,643
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49chevy3100 View Post
Nice we basically have the same set up was double reading you progress, I have a new born son going on 3 months now tough trying to fit everything in. Yea just picked up engine on Sunday guy said was complete with harness PCM now that I'm double checking everything I see that he cut the pcm side of the harness right at firewall so now I'm debating go carb or try go to local pick a part and get the rest of harness or complete harness

read up on the harness mods you need first, the engine doesnt necessarily need the interior harness to run if its been flashed
__________________
the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

Project: Hannah
my 4.3 5spd S10 41 Chevy 1/2 ton
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8029533


if there is a problem, I can have it.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #19
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
read up on the harness mods you need first, the engine doesnt necessarily need the interior harness to run if its been flashed
The guy cut harness at firewall and since pcm Is under dash he didnt include the pcm plugs
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #20
joedoh
Senior Member
 
joedoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Doodah Kansas
Posts: 3,643
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

OH! is it a tbi? you are right and I am wrong, I thought it was a poppet engine.
__________________
the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

Project: Hannah
my 4.3 5spd S10 41 Chevy 1/2 ton
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8029533


if there is a problem, I can have it.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #21
Root2812
Registered User
 
Root2812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barnum, Mn
Posts: 653
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

I have the 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer in my truck. Its about perfect. I ended up using a TCI rear leaf kit on the stock frame so I had to change the leaf perches anyway. I didn't want the miss matched bolt pattens either so I went with a mustang II kit but I am using the stock frame and not an S10.
__________________
My 1950 Chevy build
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:48 AM   #22
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
OH! is it a tbi? you are right and I am wrong, I thought it was a poppet engine.
Yea it's TBI but thanks for the suggestion ended up finding a good harness schematic and a diy harness clean up so I'll have a clean looking harness still gotta go get the PCM clips hopefully find one that's been taken apart already
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #23
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
I have the 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer in my truck. Its about perfect. I ended up using a TCI rear leaf kit on the stock frame so I had to change the leaf perches anyway. I didn't want the miss matched bolt pattens either so I went with a mustang II kit but I am using the stock frame and not an S10.
Nice assuring yea plan was to adjust the perches hopefully it fit. Tried to look at your build but pictures stopped working. Do you still have the pictures of your build?
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #24
gigamanx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 471
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

PM me, I have the harness sitting here that I was given. I can't use it, so I bought a wiring kit for my truck. If you can use it, I'm happy to send it over and get it out of my garage. I think we did find the 4 PCM plugs, but I wasn't given the PCM. My own fault for not checking. I also was supposedly given the accessories for the engine only to find that its a random assortment of things that don't fit lol. Lesson learned, test fit everything before handing over the money
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #25
49chevy3100
Registered User
 
49chevy3100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: santa rosa,CA
Posts: 60
Re: Finally my 49 s10 frame swap ls1/t56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
PM me, I have the harness sitting here that I was given. I can't use it, so I bought a wiring kit for my truck. If you can use it, I'm happy to send it over and get it out of my garage. I think we did find the 4 PCM plugs, but I wasn't given the PCM. My own fault for not checking. I also was supposedly given the accessories for the engine only to find that its a random assortment of things that don't fit lol. Lesson learned, test fit everything before handing over the money

Just PMd you. When I was there checking out the engine everything seemed like it was there since the harness seemed to have everything and I saw PCM so I thought I was golden and headed home. Should have checked oh yea and on the way home 2nd or 3rd turn I hear a huge crash. The engine had flipped on its side guess the guy didn't tighten the straps just pulled them through. Yea definitely learned my lesson always do it yourself and double check everything
49chevy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com