The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
II_Slow

Steps - Clarify part and fitment

So I tried to install my steps for the first time yesterday, and apparently the steps that were with the rear fenders I bought are not the correct part for this application.

They appear to be too long, and the holes do not align with mounting brackets. I don't have the factory frame, so I know I will have to add something to the bed frame to bolt the brackets to, so i expected to have to do that, and I suppose I shorten the fenter to fit the wheel opening, but it still looks like the step and fender won't look quite right together. Can someone get me a close-up of how the rear fender should look when properly aligned and fitted to the lower fender, please.
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Steps - Clarify part and fitment

1. Tell us what you are working on. So that we don't have to guess. I think it is a TF truck but can't tell if it is short box, long box or you cut the box to fit the length of the frame you stuck it on.
2. What frame is under the truck?
3. Did you shorten the box to fit the frame?

4. Take a couple of photos of the step and measure the length in a spot or two that one of the TF guys can compare with what he has so we can figure out where you are at.

I hate to come off as some sort of wise guy but it is really difficult to figure out what you are trying to do or fighting with if we don't have much of a clue as to what is going on or what you have to begin with. Good and reasonably complete information gets good answers.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
II_Slow

Thanks for the response. I had a vehicle description and link to the build in my signature (2nd gen 55 Stepside on a modified '99 Ram 2500 frame with Cummins 6BT), not sure what happened to that. Guess I need re-visit my profile page. See "55*6BT My 55 w/ Cummins power " if interested.

The box was not modified, the frame was cut down to the desired wheelbase.

I looked on Brother's an LMC and compared my steps to both the LB and SB and neither has two sets raised ribs like these. The ones in the catalog also appear to have a feature along the base that better matches the lip around the wheel arch so I'm not sure what steps I have. Oddly, they do match almost every mounting hole, but the spacing between the hole for the mounting bracket dont match. It's looking to me like I'm just going to have to buy the right steps. I had steps on the bed originally with the cab, but I scrapped them with the original fenders because the fenders were going to be more trouble to fix than they were worth - problem is the steps that came with the fenders don't appear to go with them.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
dsraven

yep, I'm with mr48 here. tell us/show us what you have so we can answer accordingly. some better, further away pics of the area may help.
some may have time to go through your build thread but most don't and probably won't take the time. sorry if that comes off as mean spirited, I don't mean it to be, just saying. guys will help but are better at helping if given a quick run down on the situation.
looking at the step I would say you got the wrong part. mine are long gone as well but from memory the raised parts don't have a break in them. they start at the front edge and go almost to the rear, leaving a flat section at the rearmost area just ahead of where the fender mounts up. check online for a pic of a replacement panel if in doubt. that said, you may be able to make this set work, just wouldn't be correct for the truck, like the diesel, frame, etc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
II_Slow

Yeah I founds some close up shots of the fender to step alignment. Too many differences. Looks like I'm I the market for new steps. Dang it, I thought I was through chasing body parts. I'll try to find OEM steps first, if not I'll get the mail order parts.
And yeah, I've certainly strayed from original with the drive train, frame, etc. I wanted something I could drive any where, any time, pulling a trailer or hauling a load, with improved safety, reliability, comfort, and conveniences. I already have one trailer queen (race car) that just sits because it is not practical to drive. I had the Ram drivetrain including the 12-V diesel and AOD transmission so I figured I would take the sexiest truck ever designed, and my favorite engine and have my way with it.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Henry50

That's not a task force step.
Henry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
59chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry50 View Post
That's not a task force step.
I agree. Looks like a 67-72 step

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
mr48chev

No doubt a long way from the first time someone sold a truck guy some pieces with the "oh yea these will fit great" pitch.

Link to goodmark 63 stepside steps. http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/Ch...-660-551r.aspx

Once you figure out what you have throw them on Ebay and get some of your money back.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
1958Warrior

looking at LMC they do appear to be 1967-1972 steps

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=31

looks like if you took the flat spot out between the ribs could work for you, not original but then what is, it customized right.
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
1958Warrior

One on Dallas CL, $69
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/5832073318.html
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
_Ogre

you fender in the pic doesn't look like a 55-66 fender either, it has no lip like a 55-66 fender does
gm used the same bed from 54 thru the mid 80s, same fenders to fit our trucks 55-66
post a pic of your whole bed

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote