The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
weedoublewide

C/K1500 Stance Question

Hey everyone,

I got a question....I have a 1970 gmc and I'm trying to decided what i want to do with the wheels and tires and stance because that will tell me what kind of disc brakes to get...

Attached is my truck(white mirror) and one i found online (random person thank you for you truck).

Im found of the slightly more aggressive look. Im not a big fan of drops. But if i have to drop the back slightly to accomplish what i like, i will.

I was wondering what size tires and wheels would make look more full, not like someone who skips leg day in the gym. but not so much where it looks like its over compensating for something. It has 15 in rims with p235/75R15 right now.

I uploaded 4, first two are what im drawn to.

If theres anyone out there whom has accomplished this or knows a thing or two about stances and wheels and tires. Im all ears!

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

weedoublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
weedoublewide

Re: C/K1500 Stance Question

6 lug drum brakes
Old 12-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
saxart

Re: C/K1500 Stance Question

Wee-
This thread is great. I have a 1970 on which I'm trying to accomplish the same thing you describe.

I LOL'd at your "skipped leg day at the gym" comment. My truck, which has the same rims and '235' tires as yours, looks just like that.

First off, your truck will never look like the Red/White one above, as that's a 4X4, which has a completely different suspension set up. Also, the yellow (Ochre?) is different from ours in that it is a 3/4-ton with 8-lug rims. Again, ours will never have that same stance.

Are you looking to keep the steel wheel/hubcap look, or are you open to other wheels? What I've found out through a bunch of research is that if you really want to change your stance yet maintain the 6-lug, original wheel look, you're going to be looking for a set of (6-lug) 15X8 rims, which of course are somewhat rare and expensive. Your current rims are probably 15X5.5" or 15X6". If you don't care whether you keep the original look wheels or not, your options open a bit.

While I can't show you any "after" pics of my truck, I can tell you that I've managed to find a set of 15X8 six lugs, and think I've settled on a 30X9.5 tire after a BUNCH of research. That will all happen this next spring when it's not -20 outside. It's tough to keep the original height and yet find a wheel/tire combo that fills the wheel-wells on these 1/2-ton 2WD trucks, but I think this combo should come close. While I'm not a fan of the "lowered" look (sorry guys) I may end up lowering the truck slightly if the above described set up doesn't fill the wheel wells as I'd like.

Again, this is a great thread, so I'll keep watching. Post up what you figure out. The search function on this forum is amazing.

Last edited by saxart; 12-17-2016 at 04:16 PM.
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
weedoublewide

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Wee-
This thread is great. I have a 1970 on which I'm trying to accomplish the same thing you describe.

I LOL'd at your "skipped leg day at the gym" comment. My truck, which has the same rims and '235' tires as yours, looks just like that.

First off, your truck will never look like the Red/White one above, as that's a 4X4, which has a completely different suspension set up. Also, the yellow (Ochre?) is different from ours in that it is a 3/4-ton with 8-lug rims. Again, ours will never have that same stance.

Are you looking to keep the steel wheel/hubcap look, or are you open to other wheels? What I've found out through a bunch of research is that if you really want to change your stance yet maintain the 6-lug, original wheel look, you're going to be looking for a set of (6-lug) 15X8 rims, which of course are somewhat rare and expensive. Your current rims are probably 15X5.5" or 15X6". If you don't care whether you keep the original look wheels or not, your options open a bit.

While I can't show you any "after" pics of my truck, I can tell you that I've managed to find a set of 15X8 six lugs, and think I've settled on a 30X9.5 tire after a BUNCH of research. That will all happen this next spring when it's not -20 outside. It's tough to keep the original height and yet find a wheel/tire combo that fills the wheel-wells on these 1/2-ton 2WD trucks, but I think this combo should come close. While I'm not a fan of the "lowered" look (sorry guys) I may end up lowering the truck slightly if the above described set up doesn't fill the wheel wells as I'd like.

Again, this is a great thread, so I'll keep watching. Post up what you figure out. The search function on this forum is amazing.
Lol yea that's what it looks like, it's terrible. But I'm open to anything. I'm not restoring the truck what it was in 1970. I'm walking that line on between old school look and some functionality and some new school things.
At first I was thinking bigger tires, maybe moving up to 16 inch rims or 17 and 265 in the from and 295 in the back.
Something else that crossed my mind is even though it's not a 4x4, what would the harm be in putting a 4x4 suspension up front from another truck.
Another thought that crossed my mind why can't I just put some taller springs up on the front end...?
Again all thoughts that are open for opinions...thanks guys and sorry for a late response lol.
Posted via Mobile Device