The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2024, 05:30 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Can Someone Identify This Transfer Link For Me?

Was digging thru some parts boxes in the garage and came across this rather odd 4WD flat transfer link, at least I think that is what it is? Not at all familiar to me, my '71 4x4 uses a similar sized round transfer lever link. Don't recall just where and when I acquired this piece. Has two pressed in studs, flat metal piece is 1/8'' thick, 3/4'' wide and 2 1/2'' in length. Both studs are drilled for a cotter pin, have one pin and a thread less slip on style nut that slips on one of the studs. Seems to match up very well to the spare round NP205 link I have, which I just recently SOLD on the parts forum. Curious if anyone has seen a similar transfer (?) link and just what it fits. Much appreciate any info anyone has on it.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:40 PM   #2
68panelman

Re: Can Someone Identify This Transfer Link For Me?

It is an early style link for the 205, I have both styles as well in a garage junk draw of odds and ends somewhere
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:07 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
It is an early style link for the 205, I have both styles as well in a garage junk draw of odds and ends somewhere
68panelman, thanks for the quick reply and the information on this tranfer link. Have no idea at all what it may have come from. What years did GM use this flat style of a NP205 transfer link? Is it a direct fitting replacement for the more commonly found and seen round rod fashioned link? If need be (which is doubtful) would it be a direct fit replacement for use in any NP205 or is it only used on certain years? Lots of questions I know but as they say.....enquiring minds want to know. Still learning these trucks I guess.

Still have no idea where I acquired this. Seems as I grow more mature (aka older) these bits and pieces I've picked up thru the years no longer jog the memory banks like they used to.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 04-22-2024, 09:29 PM   #4
68panelman

It will fit for a replacement for the round type, or for a spare. Both types have a good amount of slop to them, which is needed so as not to bind up shifter movements. I know my 70 K-10 I had used the flat type and early 71. By 1972 they were all the round type. The cross link, the flat bar connection for the two shift rods are the same as well, hence the fitting of both types working
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:46 AM   #5
Ironhorse

Thanks for the added information on the flat link. Guess will toss it back into the tool box and think on it for a bit as to keep it or let it go. Very doubtful I will ever need it as a replacement and don't think I will be building another K truck. My build days are just about done at 75 years young. Body just doesn't play as well as it used to.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks